Let's All Laugh At Celtic Thread

Guest TheJTS98
11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The only bad thing about this current scenario is that Celtic are so far off the pace it's going to end up a procession in the New Year robbing us of that one single, laser focused heads gone moment.

I genuinely dont know if I can remember a Premiership campaign looking so done and dusted this early, in terms of form/any indication whatsoever that there is even an ounce of fight in the languishing team.

There's been quite a few years where it's been pretty obvious who's going to win by December, but this is one of the more extreme ones. Obviously dismissing the post-liquidation-pre-this-version-of-Rangers seasons where it was over in August every year.

Only two I can think of that were as in-the-bag by now.

O'Neil's first season -2000/01 - Celtic were 13 ahead of Rangers in December. Indeed, it is on this day in 2001 that Advocaat was resigned and McLeish replaced him the next day.

In 2006/07 Celtic were 15 points ahead of Rangers (and Aberdeen) in November. Le Guen got the bullet in January.

I think this actually makes the Celtic board's decision to not make a decision a bit easier. Seems that they have accepted that the league is gone and with Europe already gone why not give Lennon the cups for the rest of the season?

There's not a lot on the market just now for them to hire and it's a hard sell for a new coach to come in to be the guy who over-sees the death-throes of TIAR. Not a good environment to be starting at a new club, surely easier to take their time, get the right guy lined up for the summer and move on from there.

Sacking Lennon would make sense if there was an obvious replacement who could come in and salvage things. But the board clearly don't think there is.

Edited by TheJTS98

10 hours ago, G51 said:

I just cannot get my head around what the Celtic board are seeing on the park to make them think this can be turned around by Lennon.

I mean, I'm not complaining, but I've just no idea what they're seeing.

A Lennon isn't just for Christmas!

reface-2020-12-08-06-15-10.gif.ea255191ff0bc4303c2f20ffa7fb92dc.gif

Edited by jagfox BLM

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

There's been quite a few years where it's been pretty obvious who's going to win by December, but this is one of the more extreme ones. Obviously dismissing the post-liquidation-pre-this-version-of-Rangers seasons where it was over in August every year.

Even at that, from 12/13 onwards the majority of seasons saw others keeping pace with Celtic until the turn of the year at least.

Even if we extremely charitably assume that Celtic will win their two games in hand and therefore view the gap as really being 7 points rather than 13, then even handing them those 6 points it would still be a bigger gap than they had at this time in December in most of those seasons.

12/13 - 3 ahead of ICT, 4 from Motherwell & Hibs, 7 from Aberdeen & St Johnstone with a game in hand over all of them

13/14 - 10 points clear of Dundee United, Aberdeen (both played one more than Celtic) & ICT (played one less than Celtic)

14/15 - 3 from ICT, 4 from Dundee United, 7 from Aberdeen

15/16 - 4 from Aberdeen with a game in hand

16/17 - 8 clear of Rangers with 3 games in hand

17/18 - 4 from Aberdeen with 2 games in hand, 7 from Rangers with 1 in hand

18/19 - 2 clear of Kilmarnock with 2 games in hand, 3 clear òf Rangers (same games) & Hearts (2 in hand), 5 clear of St Johnstone (1 in hand)

19/20 - 2 clear of Rangers

Also worth noting that 16/17 was the only one of those seasons where they had as good a record after 16 games as Rangers do this season.

32 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even at that, from 12/13 onwards the majority of seasons saw others keeping pace with Celtic until the turn of the year at least.

Even if we extremely charitably assume that Celtic will win their two games in hand and therefore view the gap as really being 7 points rather than 13, then even handing them those 6 points it would still be a bigger gap than they had at this time in December in most of those seasons.

12/13 - 3 ahead of ICT, 4 from Motherwell & Hibs, 7 from Aberdeen & St Johnstone with a game in hand over all of them

13/14 - 10 points clear of Dundee United, Aberdeen (both played one more than Celtic) & ICT (played one less than Celtic)

18/19 - 2 clear of Kilmarnock with 2 games in hand, 3 clear òf Rangers (same games) & Hearts (2 in hand), 5 clear of St Johnstone (1 in hand)

Also worth noting that 16/17 was the only one of those seasons where they had as good a record after 16 games as Rangers do this season.

This is all true but let's be honest other than maybe last season at no point did you think anyone else would win it.

Even as a misty eyed Dons fan in 14/15 and 15/16 I never really believed we'd win it.

ETA is that 14/15 stat right? I'm sure we went top at Xmas in 14/15.

Edited by Dons_1988

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

God that's depressing to read.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is all true but let's be honest other than maybe last season at no point did you think anyone else would win it.

Even as a misty eyed Dons fan in 14/15 and 15/16 I never really believed we'd win it.

True, but it highlights just how badly Celtic are doing this season and also how unlikely it is that Rangers are going to collapse badly enough to let Celtic anywhere near them, even if they considerably improve whenever Lennon is finally sacked.

You won't need reminding, but the one moment I thought there was a serious chance was for one afternoon in March 2016 where they were one point ahead of you with a game in hand with 9 games to go and were drawing at Kilmarnock in the early kick off. Of course Rogic scored a stoppage time winner then you lost at Motherwell later that day, and that was that.

Just now, TheScarf said:

God that's depressing to read.

Yes, my main thought looking at that was Richie Foran's proud legacy.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

Yes, my main thought looking at that was Richie Foran's proud legacy.

Now punting sports gear down an industrial estate in Inverness I believe.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

You won't need reminding, but the one moment I thought there was a serious chance was for one afternoon in March 2016 where they were one point ahead of you with a game in hand with 9 games to go and were drawing at Kilmarnock in the early kick off. Of course Rogic scored a stoppage time winner then you lost at Motherwell later that day, and that was that.

I'll never forget that day. Listening to Killie v Celtic whilst driving to Fir Park. I think everyone knew it was over that day.

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah, they had a wobble over Christmas and only took 4 points from their next three games, while you were on a run of 7 wins in a row and went above them on New Year's Day.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

I was surprised at ICTs standings, how things have changed, little wonder you're depressed.

It was a snowball effect, starting with us losing Terry Butcher's signings in 2015, then our board trusting Yogi with signing anyone to replace them, then Foran's insistence on playing 442 in every game, seeing us on the end of some hammerings, which got us relegated.  Then having to deal with United, County and Hearts throwing crazy money at the Championship every season since.

We'll be back soon, I'm certain of that.  Robbo knows what he's doing.

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'll never forget that day. Listening to Killie v Celtic whilst driving to Fir Park. I think everyone knew it was over that day.

Unforgettable afternoon. I was watching the Celtic match in a pub in Motherwell before our match feeling pretty good about the two points that Celtic were dropping. The Rogic goal felt like a kick in the nuts. If I remember correctly we started pretty well at Fir Park, but at the end we all knew that was our slim chance gone.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

As soon as Danny Ward was away that was it.