Let's All Laugh At Celtic Thread

32 minutes ago, thekorean said:

Sack Lennon and bring in someone like Jesse Marsch, Salzburg manager.

Bringing in a manager from where the Sound of Music is set seems fitting and it could well work.

Pumped out of Champs League by Hungarian diddies
Edouard is leaving, his bags packed already
Lennon is going to be sacked by Spring
200.gif.6cd9a042d5a05717bc6c201e45a1fd50.gif

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

Going to be honest here, I'm not laughing. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about either side of the OF and/or their European exploits, but the sad fact is that both have such a strangle hold on the Scottish league that they could get papped out in the very first qualification round every season and still win the league with a double figure gap.

:(

Celtic's transfer record since the Neil Lennon / Nicky Hammond has come in has been... interesting.

In 19/20, only Frimpong (£350k) has been an unqualified success. Jullien (£7m) has had good spells, but has looked abysmal so far this season. There seems to be a general consensus among Celtic fans that Klimala (£3.5m), Bolingoli (£3m), Taylor (£3m), Soro (£2m), Elhamed (£1.6m) either aren't good enough or won't be given a chance.

That's £20m spent, and in return you've got one very good player (who's still very young, so needs his gametime managed carefully) and one inconsistent player.

Yikes.

56 minutes ago, G51 said:

Celtic's transfer record since the Neil Lennon / Nicky Hammond has come in has been... interesting.

In 19/20, only Frimpong (£350k) has been an unqualified success. Jullien (£7m) has had good spells, but has looked abysmal so far this season. There seems to be a general consensus among Celtic fans that Klimala (£3.5m), Bolingoli (£3m), Taylor (£3m), Soro (£2m), Elhamed (£1.6m) either aren't good enough or won't be given a chance.

That's £20m spent, and in return you've got one very good player (who's still very young, so needs his gametime managed carefully) and one inconsistent player.

Yikes.

We have taken massive steps backwards, we should be light years ahead of Rangers considering where they have come from but the reality is they are getting closer to us. We should also be making progress in Europe but cant hide from the fact we are getting further away. 

3 seasons and 3 embarrassing defeats to go out of the champions league qualifiers, Peter Lawell is accountable for taking us backwards in that respect and not supporting managers with what they need. Brendan Rodgers all but called him out on that

With regards to Lennon, I personally didn't want him back. Fact is he failed at Hibs and for me isn't capable of taking us to a higher level than Rodgers. But for me his position isn't really tenable any longer. To fail to learn the lessons from Cluj and Copenhagen is unacceptable, to play without a recognised striker at home is unacceptable, to continue playing with 1 up top when behind with 10 minutes to go is unacceptable, to then put players on blast and start the rumours of who wants to leave is unacceptable. To suggest he doesn't know Edouards status/fitness is unacceptable.

He is in danger of loosing the dressing room, he has already now lost major bargaining power to try keep Edouard or attract any half decent signings (not that he can really be trusted with signings as all but 1 in Frimpong aren't good enough) and to find himself in that position in a season that means so much to the fanbase is completely unacceptable

We shouldn't be in this position, genuinely embarrassed with that last night. 

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

We have taken massive steps backwards, we should be light years ahead of Rangers considering where they have come from but the reality is they are getting closer to us. We should also be making progress in Europe but cant hide from the fact we are getting further away. 

3 seasons and 3 embarrassing defeats to go out of the champions league qualifiers, Peter Lawell is accountable for taking us backwards in that respect and not supporting managers with what they need. Brendan Rodgers all but called him out on that

With regards to Lennon, I personally didn't want him back. Fact is he failed at Hibs and for me isn't capable of taking us to a higher level than Rodgers. But for me his position isn't really tenable any longer. To fail to learn the lessons from Cluj and Copenhagen is unacceptable, to play without a recognised striker at home is unacceptable, to continue playing with 1 up top when behind with 10 minutes to go is unacceptable, to then put players on blast and start the rumours of who wants to leave is unacceptable. To suggest he doesn't know Edouards status/fitness is unacceptable.

He is in danger of loosing the dressing room, he has already now lost major bargaining power to try keep Edouard or attract any half decent signings (not that he can really be trusted with signings as all but 1 in Frimpong aren't good enough) and to find himself in that position in a season that means so much to the fanbase is completely unacceptable

We shouldn't be in this position, genuinely embarrassed with that last night. 

I saw someone put it well last night, Lennon is responsible for the short term failure (losing that match). But Lawwell is responsible for the long term failure (not qualifying for the CL over three years, not developing a football department, allowing it to disintegrate after Rodgers had built it up himself and then left).

Celtic will continue to regress until they revamp the football department.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

I saw someone put it well last night, Lennon is responsible for the short term failure (losing that match). But Lawwell is responsible for the long term failure (not qualifying for the CL over three years, not developing a football department, allowing it to disintegrate after Rodgers had built it up himself and then left).

Celtic will continue to regress until they revamp the football department.

this pretty much echoes my current feelings.

It also makes me wonder that if BR had the financial support he was looking for from PL would he have had his head turned so easily by Leicester?

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

this pretty much echoes my current feelings.

It also makes me wonder that if BR had the financial support he was looking for from PL would he have had his head turned so easily by Leicester?

I think he probably still goes in all honesty. Rodgers was always going to the Premier League at some point, and the opportunity to go to a well established team that isn't at any real risk of relegation doesn't come up all that often.

The real question is why he wasn't replaced by a proper DOF and a decent manager.

Lawwell is exceptionally good at running the non-football side of Celtic. It's bizarre that he didn't find someone to handle the stuff he isn't any good at.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I think he probably still goes in all honesty. Rodgers was always going to the Premier League at some point, and the opportunity to go to a well established team that isn't at any real risk of relegation doesn't come up all that often.

The real question is why he wasn't replaced by a proper DOF and a decent manager.

Lawwell is exceptionally good at running the non-football side of Celtic. It's bizarre that he didn't find someone to handle the stuff he isn't any good at.

Possibly however I think the decision would definitely have been more difficult if PL was bought into the project and BR's vision.

Marco Rose was the one I would have loved to see but again with PL steering the ship how long before any decent manager gets frustrated

Lennon was such a lazy (re)appointment.  He’s failed everywhere else he’s been and only Celtic’s superior wealth over their domestic competitors pads out his managerial CV. In reality, any coach at any level of football could’ve come in and win leagues and cups with such financial power.

See Walter Smith at Rangers. Another utter failure at clubs where they just can’t buy leagues and titles.

I mean, its really just a case of "we told you so", but most folk on here have been telling Celtic fans that Lennon is taking them backwards, and is likely to be the manager who chucks Rangers a title, since the moment he was hired.

Usually it was met by some utter whataboutery about how jealous or sectarian we all were, so its nice that Celtic fans are finally accepting it.