Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Hearing that McNamara is hugely keen on Callum Patterson from Hearts. Not sure what the contract situation with him is but for I certainly think he has been the stand out for (admittedly an understrength) Hearts anytime I've seen them live at Tannadice.

This would seem an unlikely one IMO. He's kind of a big lump and and it's hard to see how he'd fit in with the current style of the side. Unless he's going to act as some personal on-field bodyguard for all the slightly built players.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if anybody else heard it, but Marc Wotte was pretty good on Off The Ball on Saturday. Said there is far more value in young players playing first team football regularly than being stuck away in a reserve side down south somewhere. Also praised the likes of McNamara for giving youngsters a "podium" to perform. Don't know if it's available on iPlayer, but a very good listen, with added DundeeBarry!

I don't know if anybody else heard it, but Marc Wotte was pretty good on Off The Ball on Saturday. Said there is far more value in young players playing first team football regularly than being stuck away in a reserve side down south somewhere. Also praised the likes of McNamara for giving youngsters a "podium" to perform. Don't know if it's available on iPlayer, but a very good listen, with added DundeeBarry!

Yeah I heard it. He made a point of saying he's not even sure who Scott Allan plays for now.

Yeah I heard it. He made a point of saying he's not even sure who Scott Allan plays for now.

Allan played a couple of decent games, believed the hype surrounding him and was off in a flash. Too much too quickly, hadn't even played a dozen first team games for United!

Allan played a couple of decent games, believed the hype surrounding him and was off in a flash. Too much too quickly, hadn't even played a dozen first team games for United!

True but the baldy fcuk didn't half help him want to get away from Tannadice.

I must admit to being very envious of United this season. Free scoring in the league and securing their financial future by getting some excellent youth players signed up to longer term deals.

Hope some of these guys will make the step up for Scotland as well.

True but the baldy fcuk didn't half help him want to get away from Tannadice.

Problem is Allan is not grounded in the same way as the current crop or even Russell to an extent. He's cut from the same cloth as Goodwillie. Wannabe playboy, and a bit thick into the bargain.

Serious question but how are United affording all this? The contract extensions will surely be on higher wages and I thought you had broke the bank on getting Goodwillie?

Is this a gamble that you'll sell them for millions which will justify the wage outlay?

Decent amounts of players on bigger amounts of money than these kids (I would guess) leaving last season. Flood, Daly, Russell etc. would free up a reasonable amount on the wage bill.

Fantastic piece of business by United. Nobody expects Gauld to be with us forever (just like several other young players we have) but this is an investment and we are going about things in the right way. I would imagine these guys will not be on huge sums but if it means giving them some extra cash to secure us bigger transfer fees down the line then I am all for it.

I've thought about this several times, but we are looking at potentially clearing our debts and giving us a great footing for the future with these deals. I never thought I would ever see that as being something I would think about, as a football fan growing up you just think about the team on the park but these days the bigger picture is so important (especially looking at some other clubs) and I am glad that we are looking at our long term future.

Another player that has been talked about slightly less recently is Souttar. With United previously accepting a fairly derisory offer of £600,000 just a few months ago, I wonder how much it would take for a club to get a bid accepted now, hopefully significantly more.

Back in 2005 Hibs had a team of up and coming players but decided to sell all of them and cash in.

You just need a look at the old firm teams that won the titles the following few years to see what might have been had they not seen the pound signs.

I hope Utd keep this team for a while and achieve something with it rather than make some dough.

Celtic are by no means strong and the other mob will be lucky to see the SPL for a while the way they spend. Even if they do I don't expect them to be good for a while.

How much is Goodwillie picking up at United? 5k a week?

He's apparently on 8k at Blackburn and I've seen reports suggesting Utd are picking up half of that, not sure how reliable that is though.

Great news about all the contract extensions, GMS to follow hopefully.

He's apparently on 8k at Blackburn and I've seen reports suggesting Utd are picking up half of that, not sure how reliable that is though.

Great news about all the contract extensions, GMS to follow hopefully.

What? Hes on 26k a week at Blackburn of which we are paying between 5/6000

Archived