Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Great to have Armstrong signed up for another year now, if he continues to develop at the rate he's been going he'll be a really fantastic player for us.

One thing that has emerged though in the media interviews for arabzone and STV about this today is that Gunning and his agents don't want to sign anything now and McNamara's attitude seems to be resigned to him going in the summer now while always leaving the door open in case Gunning changes his mind. He brings up the fact that their hoping to get GMS signed up for a little longer too which could a be a good sign that he's willing to hang around a bit more.

He's also confirmed he's looking to get Wilson, Rankin and Dow signed up longer too.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news about Armstrong. Still needs to improve his finishing I think. He makes wonderful runs, better than anyone else at the club I think, but his finishing is below that of the other attackers. If he could add a more consistent finish then .. oooft .. he'd be some player.

Gunning can fucking bolt. He's barely good enough for us now and certainly won't be good enough to contribute to our nascent Champions League campaign next season. Butcher might make the grade, or at least hold the fort long enough for Harry Souttar to finish his O' levels.

The best thing about this, apart from obviously still having these players at the club, is that we are now in a position for the time being of not being shafted for any of these players. If someone wants them we can bide our time, negotiate and get a proper offer that is actually relevant to the player's ability. Hopefully group psychology kicks in and GMS sees all of his peers signing extensions so he does too. I am even an advocate of the club saying to these guys, "look we know you will not be here forever, but we can help you by giving you a bit more cash and you can help us by signing on and guaranteeing we get a good fee for you if you do go".

Rankin and GMS are the only players left now that we should be desperately trying to resign, the others I can take or leave.

Any Dundee utd fans tell me a bit about luke Johnson?young lad has signed for Montrose for a month,badly need a centre half so glad we have got one in just hope he is good!

He's only played a couple of games for United and those at a time when we were down to the bare bones and struggling to fill the first team. He didn't look ready for first team SPL football but that was last season, he's a young laddie and has already been out on loan this season so you'll know better than most of us soon enough. Is he 19 now? 20? Still time to make it but unlikely to be a star.

Talk on United mad is et sold out and George Fox single seats only for Aberdeen game. Anyone know what the story is with half season tickets? Plan on getting mine week on Friday, do they hold some seats back in et or might I get punted to jk?

Ordered mine today because I didn't have a clue what would happen. JK seats on sale online now apparently, so there must be hardly any seats left. I wouldn't mind getting moved to the JK - good view at u20s games.

Not really. He's been a success everywhere apart from Hibs (and Man United, if you're being harsh) and that says much more about Hibs than it does about Rankin.

Yeah, but he was realllllyyyyy bad at Hibs.

Any Dundee utd fans tell me a bit about luke Johnson?young lad has signed for Montrose for a month,badly need a centre half so glad we have got one in just hope he is good!

A couple of Dunfermline fans I know said he didn`t look great in the handful of appearances he got while on loan at EEP.

It's a bit mental to think John Rankin is a key player in a team as good as this

At Hibs he was at the wrong team at the wrong time under the wrong manager(s).

To be fair none of us really have any evidence to tell if he is going to be any good or not, will reserve judgement until he plays a few games.

Oyenuga has got one of those names where you just know he will be ghastly, like Odiambo or Misse-Misse.

If true, fantastic news! Imo Armstrong is 6-12 months of being ready for a big move. I think he will likely move for a big fee in the summer if this is true. Hopefully GS gives him a few more caps and add to his value.

Armstrong is excellent. If he can improve on his finishing he will be some player. He reminds me of a young Ribery, who coincidentally is another player who took a few years to improve on his goalscoring.

Oyenuga has got one of those names where you just know he will be ghastly, like Odiambo or Misse-Misse.

I was a shirt sponsor for Jean Jacque Misse-Misse.

BTW it may be prudent to remove your betting scandal comment.

It's a bit mental to think John Rankin is a key player in a team as good as this

Not really, Rankin on the whole has been a great player for us. He was a key part in our team from a couple of season ago too when we finished 4th. It just serves to show how clueless Calderwood was at Hibs.

Tbh, it's probably more surprising that Paton is such an important player given his limitations and lack of top flight experience until this season.

Yeah, but he was realllllyyyyy bad at Hibs.

Tends to happen when you are played out of position. Hibs tried to play him wide left in a poor team.

First season at United he was terrific. Struggled a bit last year in a team that wasn't playing as well and it only emerged at then end of the season that he played almost the whole season injured and needed an operation.

This season has been his best yet, with a solid partner and playing in the perfect role and team formation for his game.

An absolute gent too and a fans' favourite. No brainer for all parties to extend Ranks' stay at Tannadice.

Armstrong is excellent. If he can improve on his finishing he will be some player. He reminds me of a young Ribery, who coincidentally is another player who took a few years to improve on his goalscoring.

Not so much Ribery for me, but his team-mate Thomas Muller. He ain't a winger, he ain't a creative midfielder, he just seems to get in the right position all the time!

Archived