Dundee United 2013/14 Season

IMO Robertson has proved to be a top quality defender, as did Dixon. However I enjoy watching Robertson more than I ever enjoyed Dixon. I think Dixon would struggle to play in our system at the moment. Dixon was far more likely to go outside and cross whereas Robertson likes to come inside and playing quick one-twos or in triangles. (Dixon may very well be able to play the system, however we never played that way whilst Dixon was at the club so its hard to judge.)

If giving to choice between Robertson or Dixon at present I would have Robertson. Dixon is a good honest Arab and excelled imo at his boy-hood club, Robertson can't be far off Dixons level of ability now and hopefully has a long and prosperous career.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO Robertson has proved to be a top quality defender, as did Dixon. However I enjoy watching Robertson more than I ever enjoyed Dixon. I think Dixon would struggle to play in our system at the moment. Dixon was far more likely to go outside and cross whereas Robertson likes to come inside and playing quick one-twos or in triangles. (Dixon may very well be able to play the system, however we never played that way whilst Dixon was at the club so its hard to judge.)

If giving to choice between Robertson or Dixon at present I would have Robertson. Dixon is a good honest Arab and excelled imo at his boy-hood club, Robertson can't be far off Dixons level of ability now and hopefully has a long and prosperous career.

Some good points there. I always liked Dixon for his ability to put in fine crosses for daly to put the head on. He was consistently good at this . He was also much better than Douglas at doing the day job of a left back.

Robertson is a sensation though. You think of our attacking options going forward and he is usually in the mix.

Great times to be discussing who is better than who rather than what formation better suits panic loan rudi skacel.

It seems everybody has the same opinion on this forum. (other than me and that Arab_Fc geezer).

Indeed, the majority of us think that it's ridiculous to say Dixon wasn't a good defender for us. You're entitled to think otherwise but we're also entitled to call you out on it.

Dixon was a better crosser, but Robertson is faster and more direct, cutting inside and shooting wonderfully - reminds me in many ways of a young Cafu, powerfully cutting inside the full back and lashing home, before the keeper could even see it. Some of Dixon's crosses were world class though, reminded me of a young Beckham crossing for Van Nistelrooy when he wrapped his foot round the ball and put it on a plate for Daly.

Dixon was a better crosser, but Robertson is faster and more direct, cutting inside and shooting wonderfully - reminds me in many ways of a young Cafu, powerfully cutting inside the full back and lashing home, before the keeper could even see it. Some of Dixon's crosses were world class though, reminded me of a young Beckham crossing for Van Nistelrooy when he wrapped his foot round the ball and put it on a plate for Daly.

Cafu always seemed young, he played between 19 and 38 and didn't age a day! Hopefully Robertson can emulate that, he is certainly the most dynamic of all the left backs we have had over the past decade or so (Kalvenes was a defensive fullback, so was Archibald and Dillon when they played there, Dixon was more about going forward, as was Douglas)

Some of Dixon's crosses were world class though, reminded me of a young Beckham crossing for Van Nistelrooy when he wrapped his foot round the ball and put it on a plate for Daly.

Agreed. There were times when he was running at full speed and he'd just wrap his left foot round the ball and deliver a cross right on to Daly's bonce. I'd be interested to find out how many assists he had during his years at Tannadice. I'd imagine it would be an impressive amount.

Douglas was also a fine crosser but he was far too slow to play like a modern style left back. He had an impressive start to life at United (motm against Aberdeen if i recall) but he never really kicked on from there.

Agreed. There were times when he was running at full speed and he'd just wrap his left foot round the ball and deliver a cross right on to Daly's bonce. I'd be interested to find out how many assists he had during his years at Tannadice. I'd imagine it would be an impressive amount.

Douglas was also a fine crosser but he was far too slow to play like a modern style left back. He had an impressive start to life at United (motm against Aberdeen if i recall) but he never really kicked on from there.

It's interesting that his first season was his best for us and he played a lot of that term in midfield, particularly when Conway and Swanson were injured. If we'd had better cover at left back last season, Douglas might have been more productive last year if he'd been played in midfield during the periods that Mackay-Steven was injured.

Has he been starting in many of those appearances?

9 starts, 2 from the bench in the league. Also started a couple of europa league games. He may have been injured early on as he didn't play in the first few (I checked occasionally to see how he was getting on) but since then he has played every game I think.

Archived