Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Haven't seen him much, but is Gauld that good, that United apparently value him at £5 million?

I suspect Utd themselves have never put that value on him, but compared to the figures some others have gone for over the years then it';s not unrealistic given his age and potential future value.

Goodwillie £2.8m, Scott Brown £4.5m, Kevin Thomson £2.5m, deals like this have set some kind of precedent for (at the time) top SPL players. None of these went to teams of the like being linked with Gauld though.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect its paper talk but why shouldnt we put a massive fee on the wee mans head? Hes signed a contract extension so isnt running his contract down so we are in no hurry to sell unless someone comes in with serious money. Its about time we were in this situation again as im sick of our better players leaving for next to f**k all and at least we are in the driving seat here. Also, when you consider the money thats flying around down south, we really should be holding the Man utds of the world to ransom especially if they can afford to spunk nearly £40 million on shite like Felliani and Zaha

My first ever game watching United. We won 7-0. My dad handed in the programme at Tannadice for the players to sign, Josimar's name is not on it :lol:

I was at that game it was feckin baltic, mind you nearly missed it due to some jumped up officer twat in the RNR insisting I stay until everyone had finished their first aid course !!

I was at that game it was feckin baltic, mind you nearly missed it due to some jumped up officer twat in the RNR insisting I stay until everyone had finished their first aid course !!

I only went as my Grandad had just had an operation on his hip for arthritis and he didn't want to go out in the cold so I got his ticket. It also transpires that a guy I ended up playing alongside at amateur level years later was playing for Arbroath that day. My first Tannadice game was a week later at home to Morton.

Really enjoying watching Dundee Utd this season when I can and especially good to see the Scottish youngsters performing well. A couple of questions for the Utd fans that watch on a regular basis:

1. Of the players being tipped for future stardom - Gauld, Armstrong, Souttar and Mackay-Steven, who would you say has the best and worst chance of making it at the top level?

2. How is Mark Wilson getting on? Completely forgot he was there, didn't see much of him at Bristol so interested to know how much he has declined/improved?

Gauld is the most likely succeed and GMS has the worst chance to succeed in my opinion.

Gauld is only lacking a physical presence, he has flair, vision, movement and an abundance of creativity. At just 17 I think he will still grow a bit and bulk out a bit. So if you add all his current attributes with the ones he is still to learn is without doubt a huge talent.

GMS on the other hand, has pace, skill, self awareness however he seems to be very injury prone and is a luxury player. He is fantastic to watch no doubt, I just don't see GMS producing the same level of performances down south.

Mark has just broken back into the team and has been exactly what was expected of him, he no longer has the pace and stamina to burn however he still manages to stroll through games and the quality that he used to show is still there to be seen. He has lost the obvious things pace & stamina, however I believe he reads the game better, has adjusted his game slightly and is without doubt a quality Scottish Premiership wing-back.

Gauld has already played more games domestically in one of the top leagues in Europe than Messi had at his age so I don't see why we couldn't hold out for closer to £10m with add-ons for the Scottish wonderkid. In all honesty United aren't as big a club as Barcelona so selling Gauld is a likely outcome unfortunately.

I don't see Gauld or Souttar moving to anywhere next season. The must know the 5-6 figure weekly contracts will come somewhere down the line as long as they continue to progress. So there is no need to rush to some Championship level team, just because they can pay them a mid four-figure wage.

That's a complete car crash of a comments column, some people really want to learn to spell properly,

my head hurts now after reading them :P

I'm paraphrasing slightly however my favourite was... "We need to sign this kid before anyone else, Barca are looking at him."

Archived