Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Hopefully an older Arab can help me out here.

I just read on FB that United tried to sign Josimar in 88. Was this just a pish rumour or was there a genuine interest there?

Cheers.

not too sure if their was any real interest on united's part, but I remember it being back page news in the sun when I was in college all those aeons ago :P

ETA googled and found this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19880123&id=XjpAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UlkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5727,5113023

and this from P&B : http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/130527-when-united-wanted-a-brazilian/

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully an older Arab can help me out here.

I just read on FB that United tried to sign Josimar in 88. Was this just a pish rumour or was there a genuine interest there?

Cheers.

McLean thought it was a done deal, I think. Although with Jum's later record with South Americans, we possibly dodged a bullet. Probably would have been Josimar's old man.

We were definitely in line to sign him. Then that cnut Jock Wallace nipped in and signed him for whatever team it was he was managing in Spain or Portugal or somewhere and stole him. b*****ds.

That's pretty insane! At Mexico 86 Josimar was regarded as one of the best right-backs in the world.

RE: Walter Rojas, was that the Argentine we bought who turned out to be a barber or something? I'm sure my step-dad told me a story about that before.

not too sure if their was any real interest on united's part, but I remember it being back page news in the sun  when I was in college all those aeons ago  :P

ETA googled and found this:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19880123&id=XjpAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UlkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5727,5113023

and this from P&B : http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/130527-when-united-wanted-a-brazilian/

I remember a cup game at Arbroath when United fans were singing "Jo Jo super Jo super Josimar" lol

I remember a cup game at Arbroath when United fans were singing "Jo Jo super Jo super Josimar" lol

My first ever game watching United. We won 7-0. My dad handed in the programme at Tannadice for the players to sign, Josimar's name is not on it :lol:

We had to wait until we signed Sergio for some brazilian flair. I remember him scoring a couple of decent goals before falling off the face of the earth.

I remember him playing in the cup up at Huntly, replaced by Jerren Nixon! It was fucking Baltic, bet they loved it.

Totally forgot to mention that when I was at Tannadice for my work the other day the guy who was doing the stadium tour for the kids (I think he was a member of the Business Club) said that he was at a meeting with the board and Thompson who mentioned the possibility of looking at ripping out the seats in a part of the Shed to make it a standing/singing section in the future, because apparently Thompson has noticed the decline in atmosphere at Tannadice over the past few years.

Not sure if it would work to be honest, despite our away fans being loud and creating a decent atmosphere, the default setting for us at home is set to a 'quiet murmur'.

If they were to create such a section, I'd prefer it at the East Stand end. I know it isn't downhill, but it gives that impression, always prefer shooting that way second half. The days of the Shed being home end are gone for me, times change.

Totally forgot to mention that when I was at Tannadice for my work the other day the guy who was doing the stadium tour for the kids (I think he was a member of the Business Club) said that he was at a meeting with the board and Thompson who mentioned the possibility of looking at ripping out the seats in a part of the Shed to make it a standing/singing section in the future, because apparently Thompson has noticed the decline in atmosphere at Tannadice over the past few years. 

Not sure if it would work to be honest, despite our away fans being loud and creating a decent atmosphere, the default setting for us at home is set to a 'quiet murmur'.

Something has to be done to generate some noise at Tannadice. A standing area would be great.

If they were to create such a section, I'd prefer it at the East Stand end. I know it isn't downhill, but it gives that impression, always prefer shooting that way second half. The days of the Shed being home end are gone for me, times change.

I think the middle section (on the bottom level but not down the front, pitchside) of the Eddie Thompson would make a cracking standing section and hopefully inject a bit more atmosphere into Tannadice.

I think the middle section (on the bottom level but not down the front, pitchside) of the Eddie Thompson would make a cracking standing section and hopefully inject a bit more atmosphere into Tannadice.

My season ticket was second back row there right through my twenties and it was great, still is for big games. As I get older I want to leave it to the young boys though. Urgh getting old(er).

Really enjoying watching Dundee Utd this season when I can and especially good to see the Scottish youngsters performing well. A couple of questions for the Utd fans that watch on a regular basis:

1. Of the players being tipped for future stardom - Gauld, Armstrong, Souttar and Mackay-Steven, who would you say has the best and worst chance of making it at the top level?

2. How is Mark Wilson getting on? Completely forgot he was there, didn't see much of him at Bristol so interested to know how much he has declined/improved?

Ryan Gauld or John Souttar. Still both Seventeen, and will come on leaps and bounds. Will be interesting to see Souttar in a few years - more so to see his physical development. He's already grown and looks a bit more solid than he was. Gauld oozes class and it will be interesting to see where he goes. He'd excel in Portugal/Spain/Germany, I think.

Ciftci if he screws his head on could go the furthest. Strength, pace and technical ability are all in abundance.

1. Gauld and Souttar will/should be playing at the top in the next 3 - 4 years. Both play in a manner way beyond their years, have an unbelievable amount of talent and, most importantly, come across as being 2 very decent young men so I very much doubt that either will start acting Billy-big-baws anytime soon.

Both are very un-Scottish in their style. Gauld plays like Mata/Silva, has excellent close control, can keep hold of the ball in tight situations, can take players on and has an eye for the pass that no many can see. Souttar is a centre half that relies on his ability to read the game rather than being an idiot who'll just dive into anything. He doesn't panic with the ball at his feet and his first thought always seems to be to bring the ball out of defence and play rather than aimlessly hoofing it into the corners.

2. Wilson has only recently got a look in but from what I've seen he's fitted in very well. He hasn't done anything spectacular but has been very dependable and I'm sure he will only improve once he gets a few more game under his belt.

Archived