Dundee United 2013/14 Season

^^THIS^^

Whilst I admire the job he has done and is doing, he walked into a team with GMS  and Armstrong already playing well and had the two starlets Gauld and Souttar breaking through!

Add to that, he signed Andy Robertson with a view to the future - nobody expected this kid to be this good, and Pierre van Hooijdonk knocked on his door saying he had this kid Nadir Ciftci, fancy giving him a trial?

No doubt he is doing a great job, but as an ambitious guy, he's gotta see what he can achieve with these kids to get the big clubs paying attention to him (not Celtic).

I'd hardly say Ciftci ending up at United is luck though given McNamara and Van Hooijdonks obvious connection from their Parkhead days.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what you're telling us is that both yourself and Jackie Mac saw in one game the blindingly obvious that Ally McCoist nor anyone else at Rangers could spot in four?

Does that surprise you? I went back to watch him again as one of my mates plays for QP and he was outstanding once more so it was perhaps two games for me but his qualities were clear to see.

Does that surprise you? I went back to watch him again as one of my mates plays for QP and he was outstanding once more so it was perhaps two games for me but his qualities were clear to see.

Yes my son and one of his mates saw him last year and said he was excellent.

Sometimes obvious things are not obvious to everyone. Take Houston and zonal marking for example.......

Even a second place finish and a cup win this season is not going to get McNamara the Celtic job, which might not even be available if Lennon gets the chance to buy in January.

I think we've got him for next season too, unless a top Championship team in England came calling, which again is unlikely. Looks like we may well get European football next season which he may fancy. Give him a rolling one year contract if he isnt wanting to extend for a couple of years.

Get Stevie Campbell on a longer deal whilst we're at it!

Yes my son and one of his mates saw him last year and said he was excellent.

Sometimes obvious things are not obvious to everyone. Take Houston and zonal marking for example.......

Don't get me started on zonal v man marking!

Houston was just too fecking lazy to organise his team defensively in any manner.

He's proven himself to be a terrific manager, probably the best in Scotland at the moment, but he's ruthlessly ambitious to a fault. Genuine question for United fans - can McNamara's stock get any higher than it is right now? Because he'll be considering the exact same question and if he arrives at the conclusion that it can't, he'll be off, make no mistake about it.

Yes, much higher. It's a wonderful start but he's achieved nothing so far. When he does, he'll go and with the best wishes of all sensible United fans (the usual fannies will bitch and moan much like their counterparts at Thistle have done).

Agreed though it is a slightly risky tactic. For example Gunning is almost certain to leave so he then has to go back to Dillon and say you are now the main experienced defender - Dillon doesn't seem the type to let it de-motivate him but it won't always work.

Dillon will be going at the same time (unless someone's daft enough to pay a fee for him in January) so I doubt it'll be much of an issue.

In a few papers today that Everton will make a move for Robertson in January as a long-term replacement for Baines, who they expect to leave. £1m loan-back deal apparently. As with all paper talk it should be taken with a pinch of salt but what do other Arabs think of this?

He would be an ideal fit for Everton in my opinion, but although the rumoured figure would be a million pounds of clear profit after 6 months, I feel we could hold out for more. He has been nothing short of a revelation this season, one of the most exciting signings I can remember us making in many years.

Depends what he'd be looking for wage wise. Dundee might be interested. Ross County or St Mirren maybe?

Ooft, imagine Garry Kenneth and Brian McLean playing as a centre-half pairing for County. Recipe for disaster.

How long is Robertson's contract? If it's any longer than 2015 Everton can go and kill themselves, clatty scouse minks (if £1m is true, I trust the papers sources).

:lol:

Archived