Dundee United 2013/14 Season

I'm fairly chuffed with the loan signing, seems like a good player and hopefully he fits our system.

I have also heard the rumour that Goodie is looking at buying Out his contract to come back to us over the next wee while, if not he's going to let it run down, maybe even a PCA is on the cards....

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't expect us to be bringing in world class players, but is El Alagui not an indication of a lack of ambition? Hopefully I'm proven wrong but given the way the finances have improved of late and the potential income from some of our squad I'd like to think we could spend some cash brining in a player who can offer something in the longer term.

That's the type of player United are in the market for. Especially in the January window. Not sure what level of player wants to play at SPL level? Club finances may have been improved a bit, but splashing some cash in the January window isn't the way forward. Managers like McNamara have to cut their teeth wheeling and dealing as best they can with limited finance.

if he's that good why can't he get a game for brentford ?

To be fair Brentford would canter to 2nd place is SPL. I watch leyton orient ( who are 2nd to Brentford, and worth noting wolves are 3rd) regularly since moving to London in the summer, and they are miles better than top SPL sides with a far bigger budget.

To be fair Brentford would canter to 2nd place is SPL. I watch leyton orient ( who are 2nd to Brentford, and worth noting wolves are 3rd) regularly since moving to London in the summer, and they are miles better than top SPL sides with a far bigger budget.

Just been saying this to my old man. It's easy to lose perspective of the size & wealth of teams like Brentford and Orient. I'd hazard a guess both play to crowds of 12,000 or so? Easily bigger than United anyway.

I couldn't say about Brentford but orient prob don't average any higher than 5-6k to be honest - although I would imagine that's one of the lower averages in the league.

In assuming the tv money here is far superior to what we get, and most clubs are no doubt running at a loss trying to get into the championship / EPL.

The o's are cracking to watch though, they have Kevin Lisbie up front and they have about 3 or 4 young guys doing all the running for him. There full backs are exceptional as well. They're really direct with loads of pace - so always makes for a wide open game!

Certainly after taking in 3 st

Mirren games in 9 days at Xmas - its safe to say orient would murder us!

Just been saying this to my old man. It's easy to lose perspective of the size & wealth of teams like Brentford and Orient. I'd hazard a guess both play to crowds of 12,000 or so? Easily bigger than United anyway.

Brentford's average is around 6-7000 so not too much bigger. They have however had the benefit of a recent wealth injection - not megabucks, but it's pulled them back from the financial brink - and until recently a manager in Uwe Rosler who was shrewd in the loan market.

Good signing IMO. Aggressive, good in the air, strong and with an eye for goal. The anti-Graham if you like.

Even if he doesnt score a lot, he could be the focal battering ram for the attack - as long as he ties up defenders he will free up space for the three behind which exactly the sort of player we are looking for, and have been sorely lacking at points this season.

Happy enough with signing of El-Alagui. Not sure what to expect but from what I've heard he should fit our striker's role perfectly. Our main goalscoring threat comes from our attacking midfielders so ideally we need someone that can win the ball in the air and lay it off for our attacking mids to run onto. As has been mentioned earlier Ciftci is okay at this role but is much more effective when deployed behind the striker so hopefully this allows him more freedom to play. It's an interesting one though as assuming El-Alagui does make the striker's spot him own the one of GMS, Armstrong, Gauld and Ciftci will have to miss out - tough decision for Jackie.

Happy enough with signing of El-Alagui. Not sure what to expect but from what I've heard he should fit our striker's role perfectly. Our main goalscoring threat comes from our attacking midfielders so ideally we need someone that can win the ball in the air and lay it off for our attacking mids to run onto. As has been mentioned earlier Ciftci is okay at this role but is much more effective when deployed behind the striker so hopefully this allows him more freedom to play. It's an interesting one though as assuming El-Alagui does make the striker's spot him own the one of GMS, Armstrong, Gauld and Ciftci will have to miss out - tough decision for Jackie.

Could you not play Armstrong in a deeper position and have all 4 on the park?

I'm so jealous of Dundee United's squad.

At the very least it gives us more options to rotate between those four and give them some rest while also retaining an effective attacking three behind the striker.

In our opening game again Thistle this season he sat a bit deeper and it didn't really suit him or the team. Having him sit deeper would limit his attacking threat which has been extremely helpful for us this season too. Besides Paton and Rankin have the deeper midfield positions nailed down for now and it's unlikely that Armstrong will offer as much defensively as they both will.

Hard to say, Armstrong is a lot weaker defensively than he is going forward but could probably still do a job back there. The way we play though with so many players going forward, you really need two tougher guys in the defensive midfield position to break up any counter attacks. Armstrong's alright at hassling players but lacks in the physical side of the game compared to Rankin and Paton. Would be interesting to try him out at defensive mid with Rankin for one game to see if it works though, it was certainly successful for me on Football Manager!

No mention yet! I had thought previously he might be going out on loan for a bit, but with us struggling a wee bit just now I think McNamara will need Erskine and others to help keep the squad big enough for competition.

Erskine will bring nothing to your squad, instead of big enough competition for places, he will weaken it.

Add Kerr and Baird to it though, and you will be clear as day much stronger for it.

And giving Erskine back to us in exchange for this massively magnanimous gesture from us to give up two quality players and take one duff one of yours should ensure our relegation and your clubs Top 3 finish.

Honest injun.

Go on Jackie you lovely man, make the call, you know you want and need to.

But he has also played poorly in that position a few times this season. My original point was that Ciftci was signed as a midfielder, not a striker, and midfield is still his natural (and I think) better position.

You keep saying that, but, Jackie McNamara said he was a forward when he signed him and Nadir himself has said it.

At the very least it gives us more options to rotate between those four and give them some rest while also retaining an effective attacking three behind the striker.

In our opening game again Thistle this season he sat a bit deeper and it didn't really suit him or the team. Having him sit deeper would limit his attacking threat which has been extremely helpful for us this season too. Besides Paton and Rankin have the deeper midfield positions nailed down for now and it's unlikely that Armstrong will offer as much defensively as they both will.

The opening game of the season saw Armstrong start ahead of Rankin, which saw Paton trying to run the whole of the midfield on his own. Playing Armstrong there is the definition of playing your best XI players but clearly not the strongest team!

I think a lot of people forget that Ciftci is 21. If he had come through our youth system everyone would be raving about him. But just because he's been signed from another club the expectation levels placed on him are much higher.

He's still learning the game. Overall he's been excellent in my opinion.

What are United fans' views on Cierzniak?

Nothing flashy, but gets the job done. Decent at cross balls, good enough shot-stopper. Always looking to throw from defence as a result of his one true weak point, his kicking.

Archived