Dundee United 2013/14 Season

The word is ST would be looking for a minimum of £1.5m for Robertson.

Loan-back until the end of this season is pointless. If we want to build anything we need these players for another 18 months. By the end of this season we'll probably only just be gelling 100% as a team.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The word is ST would be looking for a minimum of £1.5m for Robertson.

Loan-back until the end of this season is pointless. If we want to build anything we need these players for another 18 months. By the end of this season we'll probably only just be gelling 100% as a team.

Big difference between what he's looking for/public position and what he'd accept. Can't see why a loan back is pointless given what the player can still offer and what sort of player we would be likely to pick up to replace him. I agree to maximise the potential of the group of players we have we would need to keep them for another 18 months, but I think it's unlikely we can.

I think ST's bargaining position is about as strong as its ever going to get. We ain't in any position where the bank is demanding sales and we know we're going to be getting offers for a few of our players. Add to that Robertson, Souttar and Gauld appear to be in no rush to go anywhere just yet.

Big difference between what he's looking for/public position and what he'd accept.  Can't see why a loan back is pointless given what the player can still offer and what sort of player we would be likely to pick up to replace him.  I agree to maximise the potential of the group of players we have we would need to keep them for another 18 months, but I think it's unlikely we can.

Given the fact I can't think of another competent LB on the books, then we must either get a loan back or leave it until the summer. Martinez is not stupid. No chance he's getting anywhere near the Everton first team with Baines primed for the World Cup.

Given the fact I can't think of another competent LB on the books, then we must either get a loan back or leave it until the summer. Martinez is not stupid. No chance he's getting anywhere near the Everton first team with Baines primed for the World Cup.

They've also got Brian Oviedo who has been playing very well in Baines' absence.

If they offered £1m+ with a loanback I reckon that's a pretty good deal, gives JMc 6 months to find a replacement too. Some might say a clear million of profit after 6 months would represent one of the best deals in Utd's history. I hope it doesn't happen though.

Quote from Thompson just over two weeks ago - "Every club is a selling club. What we don't want to do is sell them below market value, and getting them on the right contract is important as well. There is no chance any of them will leave for less than a million. In fact, we would be looking for a lot more than that."

Hopefully ST keeps to his word. In this day and age the 'market value', in particular when it involves English teams, is totally over inflated and if players down south can move from Champioship and League One/Two clubs for seven figure sums regularly then I see no reason why Robertson et al wouldn't fall into the same category (that goes for many more Scottish prospects just incase I get accused of over-hyping our own players).

What Thompson says in public and what he'd accept for Robertson aren't the same thing. Remember, we accepted 500k for Souttar a few months back, probably a superior prospect than Robertson.

Time will tell.

What Thompson says in public and what he'd accept for Robertson aren't the same thing. Remember, we accepted 500k for Souttar a few months back, probably a superior prospect than Robertson.

Time will tell.

Courier hinting this morning that Everton will make a formal bid. Anything close to £1m will test Thompson's resolve no doubt about it.

Thompson accepting is only half the story though. These kids all seem pretty determined that playing a couple of seasons regularly at United is the right thing for them at the moment. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Robertson knocks it back.

Time will tell.

No we didn't!

What else do you expect Thomson to say?

I wouldn't surprised if he left for between 500 and 800k. If people honestly think the player would knock back the offer to go to Everton to play in this league then you need a reality check.

Thompson didn't have to say anything. He certainly didn't have to put a figure on it. I'd be willing to wager that, if he does go, it will be for substantially more than 800k.

Robertson, Gauld, Souttar and others have repeatedly stated their desire to play in the top leagues. And they all think the first step towards that is playing 100-200 games in the SPL. I don't think many thought that Souttar would knock back Sunderland. He did, not because he thinks the SPL is the place to be, but because it wasn't the right time to move.

I didn't say that I thought Robertson would knock Everton back. But likewise, it's not a foregone conclusion he'd go either. No doubt the offers will come that will test these players' plan of staying put for the time being. The Everton bid, should it come and should United accept it, may or may not prove too tempting for Robertson. Time will tell.

There's a world of difference between sunderland and Everton, especially at this present moment in time.

What is "substantially" more than 800k? Why would a club like Everton have to pay more than that for a young Scottish player with just some SPL experience?

I'm not sure there's a world of difference between the clubs. Everton would certainly be a bigger draw than Sunderland admittedly. But my point wasn't that Robertson would knock back Everton because Souttar had knocked back Sunderland. I highlighted it to illustrate the point that this crop of players aren't guaranteed to accept the first offer that come their way, in the way that many think they will.

Substantially more? At least 25% more than the top end of your estimate.

Ian Roache of the Courier Tweeting that United hope to have a new striker in by the weekend as it's confirmed Goodwillie is away back to Blackburn.

Also John Rankin hopes to finalise a new deal with the club in the next week.

Archived