Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Giving the way Rankin's career has unfolded, he would need to be completely clueless to leave.

He is at his level, in his peak, enjoying his football and can only realistically earn more money at Ibrox. United also saved his career, so you would hope that would be enough to keep him signed up. (f**k Flood.)

However I personally wouldn't want to tie him down any longer than 1-2 years, to be honest I've not forgotten how terrible he was before United and last season. (Regardless of being injured, he was terrible and with the depth we had in centre-mid he should have gone and had the operation and rather than playing all season well below par.)

Rankin IMO is replaceable. See Flood.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving the way Rankin's career has unfolded, he would need to be completely clueless to leave.

He is at his level, in his peak, enjoying his football and can only realistically earn more money at Ibrox. United also saved his career, so you would hope that would be enough to keep him signed up. (f**k Flood.)

However I personally wouldn't want to tie him down any longer than 1-2 years, to be honest I've not forgotten how terrible he was before United and last season. (Regardless of being injured, he was terrible and with the depth we had in centre-mid he should have gone and had the operation and rather than playing all season well below par.)

Rankin IMO is replaceable. See Flood.

He is replaceable, less so than Flood though I would say. Rankin is playing far better than Flood did in his second spell here!

Rankin strikes me as the clever sort, so, it's not silly to wait and consider your options. Obviously he is playing as well as he ever has done and moving elsewhere will unsettle that, but he has plenty of time to consider all he wants to do

All the talk is of our in-form players leaving or extending contracts etc, but I am slightly concerned about how long we can hold onto our manager. If we continue to play this good football and finish 2nd or 3rd this season then JMc will be on the radar of any clubs who might fancy a change this summer.

I'm a bit surprised that there's not been more media speak about Neil Lennon's position at Celtic, given the combination of the cup defeat by Morton, the embarrassing European campaign and the poor signings made this season. Their league form is possibly glossing over the negatives for the time being, but if Lennon's coat was found to be hanging on a shoogly peg then I'm sure JMc would be one of the names banded about.

Yeah its not something that has been mentioned much but it could be an issue in the not too distant future. McNamara is an ambitious guy and will look to further his career beyond United if we continue to perform well and make improvements, but hopefully this is a while away yet.

Rankin has been excellent this season but you don't need to be a great player to play that role. Paul Paton is a fairly limited player in terms of ability but he performs a similar role very well. As long as you're disciplined, can follow simple instructions, and can make a ten yard pass then you can play as a holding midfielder for United at the moment.

I think JM would be crazy to without at least one other season under his belt - especially if he keeps this squad together which I think he will. I gebuinely excited about utd and don't even support you.

I would love for you to mount some kind of challenge to Celtic - its a shame you didn't start the season in this form.

Yea, as a Saints fan I would love to see a decent challenge at Celtic. Even if it meant dragging Celtic's victory out till long after the split. I'll tell you what, agree to let us knock you out the Scottish Cup and we'll 'liedown' to you and get you to the title. ;)

*awaits seethe of Hearts fans*

Rankin has been excellent this season but you don't need to be a great player to play that role. Paul Paton is a fairly limited player in terms of ability but he performs a similar role very well. As long as you're disciplined, can follow simple instructions, and can make a ten yard pass then you can play as a holding midfielder for United at the moment.

I disagree with this. Rankin does so much more on the park than just hold, which is where my argument against Paton lies (but enuff of that for now) because you still need to be able to control the game against teams with decent midfielders.

If we lost Rankin and brought in another player with less ability we would struggle no matter how hard they worked.

Reading this mornings Courier, it's reporting that Gauld will sign a five year contract tomorrow. Obviously he won't stay for five years (if he does then something has gone wrong) but great work by the chairman and manager to get him to sign on. I think he could easily stay for another couple seasons now, and hopefully get a few Scotland caps, then get a big move when he is ready to challenge in the first team at one of the big teams.

Archived