Dundee United 2013/14 Season

He'll do a job as an "occasional" LB. He's far too easily drawn out of position into the centre and struggles to track back and that's when he can be arsed.

He's a highly frustrating player,who shows flashes of occasional brilliance,but for me,overall, he just isn't good enough in any of the positions that he's been played in. His attitude can be suspect at times and that has seriously affected his fitness in the past.

If you sign him,he's bound to score a 40 yarder against us.

Green dot for saving me the bother of saving pretty much the same thing. Had he not had such a good loan spell with us first time around I doubt folk would have been cutting him as much slack.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jackies making the classic mistake most SFL managers seem to make when they come to the SPL.  Barry Smith, Jim McIntyre, Danny Lennon, they've all done it, Alan Archibald is doing it just now.

They think SFL players are good enough for the top league.  Brian Graham?  Seriously?  Jeez, even Morton released him.  Both Paul Paton and Chris Erskine are 26 and Graham is 25.  None of them have played top flight football before.  Why's that?  Has every top flight manager been wrong about them for the last 7 or 8 years?  Unlikely, it's probably because they aren't good enough.

United fans should know this more than most.  Michael Gardyne was the SFL's best player the season before last, how has he done at Tannadice?  Seemed to spend alot of time riding the pine to me.  At least you never had a squad full of SFL players last term, looks like you will next season.

Still not reading the thread. United are cost cutting, get it? Attempting to reduce debt so the club doesn't go the way of Hearts, Dundee, Rangers, etc. It's pretty clear a cap has been put on what the club is willing to pay players in wages. And it's obvious that Thompson is unwilling to break that cap for other players who've become available. With pretty much a free pass for everybody due to the Hearts situation things aren't that worrying at all.

Green dot for saving me the bother of saving pretty much the same thing. Had he not had such a good loan spell with us first time around I doubt folk would have been cutting him as much slack.

First time round GM was largely playing Carey as LWB in a 3-5-2 IIRC, suited Carey as he doesn't really have an explosive burst of pace over the first 5-10 yards and to an extent hid his defensive frailties - I reckon it'll all depend on how McNamara is going to set his team up.

PS - used to have an excellent long throw but again this wasn't much used in his second spell with us.

Yes as cover because Celtic and some english clubs are sniffying about after GMS thereby it would be handy to have a back up (encase of injurys/tiredness) or a plan b encase a suitable offer comes in and GMS is away.

Which English clubs? And how do you know Celtic are interested? Chinese whispers probably eminating from some pre-pubescent sad sack on Twitter.

I think we will be fine next season. I don't see us reaching the top six but alongside Motherwell we've been one of the most consistent teams in the SPL outside the old firm since Levein came in so if we fall down the league while rebuild for the future then fair enough. The Hearts situation gives us all a lot of room to breathe next season as well. I'm not expecting the two Queens Park players to come in and blow us all away immediately although I'd be thrilled if they had a similar kind of impact as Gauld and Souttar when they came in for a run of games.

I haven't seen anything of Erskine, Paton and Graham so I have no idea about them. Partick fans really seem to rate Erskine though and he does seem like the kind of player we really needed early last season when Mackay-Steven was out. Graham's goal scoring stats at Raith seem decent enough but other fans response to us signing him has been either disbelief or amusement. Interestingly though I'm sure that the move to sign Graham was made while Houston was still manager.

Imo Mackay-Steven, Armstrong and Gauld to a lesser extent will be key for us next season. Their talented young creative players and they should carve out a lot of chances for us next season. Mackay-Steven seemed to be adding more goals to his game last season, especially when Russell was out so we'll be looking for him to do the same. Armstrong always looks more impressive when he gets the chance to play in the middle so hopefully having the likes Gauld, Mackay-Steven and Erskine in means he'll get the chance to do that. If he can fine tune his long range shooting then he'll be a really important figure for us.

I've said before that I agree with ST's approach of cutting costs in an attempt to address the debt issue; it's the only long-term strategy that makes sense. Of course that only works if the costs are reduced by more than the income.

A 'weakened' squad that means a (say) 9th place finish rather than (say) a 4th place finish means £300k less in prize money and the loss of 500 supporters from last season would mean about another £150k less income. Not to mention possible losses in revenue if we don't perform as well inthe cup competitions. (I'm assuming 500 is a reasonable estimate of fair weather supporters who won't show up if we're struggling a bit).

All in all, I would like to see one decent signing, preferably up front, to galvanise the support and score some goals - and not a fat, over the hill has been BTW.

If we get an experienced striker (ie Goodwillie) and CH (McManus/Webster etc) we will be fine. Having Gunning back, fit, should be almost like having a new player. Despite him being a total rocket he's the best defender at the club on his day.

If we dont get much in the way of experience in, we could toil a bit. Still, Hearts arent coming out of admin any time soon and are going to lose players, so relegation shouldnt be a worry.

Hopefully the flair of GMS, Armstrong and Gauld will get us through.

Webster's been training with Killie today along with Boyd apparently. It's a pity because with this whole Hearts financial situation I was quietly hoping he might end up back with us. Although if we can't afford him I'm not sure how Killie would manage either. If he came back to us then at the very least we'd be able to look forward to him being on the same pitch as Mackay-Steven withought him trying to kick the living sh*t out of GMS at every opportunity.

ST will go over the wage limit for the expierence the squad needs.

TWo players like Webster and Goodwillie coming back, they would both be on am absolute max of 3k a week each. Fair enough we could afford 4 players at that price but like GD has alluded to, how much would those lesser players cost us in league position?

iam surprised how hearts could still manage to sign Danny Wilson in admin and we really should have gone in for Fraser Mullen, but good things come to those that wait and just have to cross fingers and trust the club to deliver a couple of decent players before September.

According to the Tele we are actually going to be signing the two ex-Spurs players on contracts and that we have agreed to have Carey for a couple of weeks and that he will be coming with us to Germany and Spain. Pierre van Hoojaydonk is the other guys agent and he was in St.Andrews today too.

According to the Tele we are actually going to be signing the two ex-Spurs players on contracts and that we have agreed to have Carey for a couple of weeks and that he will be coming with us to Germany and Spain. Pierre van Hoojaydonk is the other guys agent and he was in St.Andrews today too.

1011171_10151522658648730_1363087817_n.j

Dont really get the point in signing more youngsters completely unproven at any sort of decent level. As shite as the SPL can be, nobody can say that its the equivalent to the sixth tier of English football, where these guys have been failing to make an impact.

Can't judge anyone before we have seen them play, and I will trust McNamara's judgement just now. Countless examples of players who have 'failed' in lower leagues that have gone on to have decent careers, Gomis spent nearly three years languishing in the non-league/conference setup down south.

Lee Camp (ex Norwich keeper) also on trial at Tanny haha :)

I think he is simply using our training facilities, I wouldn't think we would use any budget on a Goalie when we have a set number 1 and a couple of youngsters at the club, would be a needless waste of a wage.

erm nope only got Rado as the others arent ready yet or need to go out on loan and get more experience, as much as i want to see Marc McCallum in between the sticks we need someone whos able and ready to challenge Rado (at times last season he was off form or simply just going threw the motions).

Lee Camp would on a pay as you play deal keep rado on his toes and he wouldnt be at Tanny if there wasnt a chance for him to land a deal ;)

I think he is simply using our training facilities, I wouldn't think we would use any budget on a Goalie when we have a set number 1 and a couple of youngsters at the club, would be a needless waste of a wage. 

Exactly this. United even said so on their Facebook page.

erm nope only got Rado as the others arent ready yet or need to go out on loan and get more experience, as much as i want to see Marc McCallum in between the sticks we need someone whos able and ready to challenge Rado (at times last season  he was off form or simply just going threw the motions).

Lee Camp would on a pay as you play deal keep rado on his toes and he wouldnt be at Tanny if there wasnt a chance for him to land a deal  ;)

You are 100% wrong.

Archived