Stan Petrov to Retire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22464215

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has retired from football as he continues his fight against leukaemia.

The Bulgarian midfielder, 33, was diagnosed in March 2012 but is now in remission.

"It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing my retirement," he said.

"The emotions are overwhelming, but the continued support of family, friends and the great people I have come to know will make it easier for me to move on from the only life I've ever known."

Petrov joined Villa in 2006 from Celtic for £6.5m.

He added: "That I am ready to embrace new challenges will make this process much easier.

"Since being diagnosed with acute leukaemia, I have come to understand and appreciate the way in which this disease impacts the lives of so many people.

"I can help and I want to help and, in setting up a foundation to help address the issues involved when people are diagnosed with this illness, I hope to make a difference.

"This will be my new challenge, one I will face with all the enthusiasm, energy and drive with which I have faced every single challenge.

"For the life I've lived in football, I will always be incredibly grateful. For the opportunity this crazy thing that happened in my life has given me, I also feel grateful in a strange kind of way.

"This crazy thing, somehow, has touched people and I want to try to channel this in a positive way. This will be the greatest challenge of my life."

You were a cracking player Stan all the best. I hope you have a long, healthy and happy retirement.

He'll be missed but obviously his battle is more important than kicking a ball around.

Wish him all the best.

Apparently, he's joining in the team "lap of appreciation" after the game tomorrow which'll be moving I expect.

It's been mentioned before. It'd be a good idea I reckon.

There's some sort of tribute match already between Villa Old Stars and a Bulgaria Old Stars/Celebs team including their former Prime Minister taking place in Sofia and being shown on Bulgarian telly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived