The Clyde FC Summer Transfer Spectacular

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else not feel slightly concerned that we have almost retained the same squad from last season that finished as the 2nd worst team in Scotland. I really can't see us being anywhere near the playoffs again this season unless some new and better players are introduced.

We finished 9 points outside the play-offs. We finished with 7 points less than a much-lauded and resurgent Montrose team. We finished 11 points clear of a much-improved Shire team (albeit, they had a horrific end to the season). We broke the 40 points barrier for the first time since the 2006/07 season. We won more games this season than we have since the 2005/06 season. Taking away the games against QP, we recorded the same number of wins as them. Even counting the one we buggered up as a win, we would've had 2 less wins than them.

I fail to see why last season is regarded as a bad or sub-standard one by a lot of people - I think we did fairly well and, as per our remit, made another baby-step of progression. I'm happy about resigning most of these players - they've shown that they can be a match for any team in the division. To hold on to them all with a much-decreased budget is spectacular too, so credit must go to Duffy for that.

We finished 9 points outside the play-offs. We finished with 7 points less than a much-lauded and resurgent Montrose team. We finished 11 points clear of a much-improved Shire team (albeit, they had a horrific end to the season). We broke the 40 points barrier for the first time since the 2006/07 season. We won more games this season than we have since the 2005/06 season. Taking away the games against QP, we recorded the same number of wins as them. Even counting the one we buggered up as a win, we would've had 2 less wins than them.

I fail to see why last season is regarded as a bad or sub-standard one by a lot of people - I think we did fairly well and, as per our remit, made another baby-step of progression. I'm happy about resigning most of these players - they've shown that they can be a match for any team in the division. To hold on to them all with a much-decreased budget is spectacular too, so credit must go to Duffy for that.

Wise words. :)

Does anyone else not feel slightly concerned that we have almost retained the same squad from last season that finished as the 2nd worst team in Scotland. I really can't see us being anywhere near the playoffs again this season unless some new and better players are introduced.

Not concerned, when we have a budget @ 60k less than last year. With what we have to offer and having a team with some potential is encouraging to me.

All the players signed so far done well last season bar Rajovic, MacBeth and Graham who didn't get much game time so I am more optimistic than the last few pre-seasons.

Fordyce and Nicol made a huge difference to the team last season who we bring in to replace those two will go a good way to determining how we do next season. Especially in central midfield Hay and Sweeney were hopeless in there for a big part of the season.

We lost 20 times last season. Take away the results when we had Nicoll/Fordyce, two players unlikely to be seen at Clyde next season, and we're down with Shire as the worst team in the league.

Let's remember, we were gubbed twice by the Shire, disgraced by displays of anti-football away to Elgin/Berwick, continued our QP humiliation and played off the pitch by 10 men (Elgin and Montrose). There were two 6 or 7 game long runs without a win. Put out the cup by a non-league team, embarrassed by Ayr United 6-1. We did end the campaign with some decent performances at home but let's not kid ourselves that it was a good season.

That said, we've got the basis of a decent squad signed up and Daly is a good addition. What we obviously need is a couple of good central midfielders who will take charge of games at home and away and another centre half (Marsh and McQueen may work, Gray playing there won't). Get those in and we can have a good season I reckon.

We lost 20 times last season. Take away the results when we had Nicoll/Fordyce, two players unlikely to be seen at Clyde next season, and we're down with Shire as the worst team in the league.

Let's remember, we were gubbed twice by the Shire, disgraced by displays of anti-football away to Elgin/Berwick, continued our QP humiliation and played off the pitch by 10 men (Elgin and Montrose). There were two 6 or 7 game long runs without a win. Put out the cup by a non-league team, embarrassed by Ayr United 6-1. We did end the campaign with some decent performances at home but let's not kid ourselves that it was a good season.

That said, we've got the basis of a decent squad signed up and Daly is a good addition. What we obviously need is a couple of good central midfielders who will take charge of games at home and away and another centre half (Marsh and McQueen may work, Gray playing there won't). Get those in and we can have a good season I reckon.

We lost 19 times the season before last and 20 times the season before that - when Rangers weren't in the division. There's no doubt that Fordyce and Nicoll definitely helped solidify us, but there were several games when Nicoll looked off-the-pace. I don't think our form was that much to do with them, but more to do with a more adventurous approach after yet more "Duffy must go" shouts following a poor spell.

Sure, there were some performances akin to those of horrific seasons gone by. What I find encouraging, though, is that we were a much more competitive side last season - even in games in which we were beaten, we weren't being overrun (with the exception of the Shire away games and a few others). Going forward we looked dangerous and were creating more chances than I've seen a Clyde team create in years - hopefully with the addition of Daly we'll starting putting away more of them!

If we could sign Nicoll (and get him fully fit over the pre-season), and a centre-half who is relatively quick and not horrendously exposed on the turn to play beside McQueen (possibly Marsh), then I'm confident that we could be a comfortably mid-table team next season.

Edit: I wouldn't mind us signing Lyden, even as a back-up option. I thought he was brilliant as a defensive midfielder against Montrose, and was relatively solid at centre-back too.

Who cares?

Not the Cumbernauld fans anyway.

It'll be crowds of 300 next season.

You'd better hope the fans in E.K come out and support when you move up there.

As a Clyde fan from Cumbernauld, I speak for most if us.

E.K Clyde.

No thanks.

Who cares?

E.K Clyde.

No thanks.

Well, that's not strictly true, is it?

Who cares?

E.K Clyde.

No thanks.

im sorry mr 'syd barret ' but i think your wrong in sayin that most c' nauld fans are against Ek move , i for one am right behind it along with most Clyde fans who live here , incl. my 2 sons . afraid your speakin for yourself only pal .

back on topic and happy to have big scullion signed , big man hassels every defender he faces and as Dave w said we have the roots of a squad which could mount promotion push .

Guest The Phoenix

This squad has another summer together to finally put the pieces into place.

:o

Currently at their high altitude training camp in the Pyrenees?

Remind me to bookmark this, folks.

Dont know if the crowds will be 300 (depending on how we start ) I do think crowds will be down the EK move even although it is only proposed must have an effect on the cumbernauld support as well as those opposed to it and some who will simply have chucked it for other reasons It will be intersesting to see how many season tickets are sold ,we will see if all the yes voters who told us to back the chairman ,put their money where their mouth is :P

if the team starts badily then I think 300 isnt far off the mark

I will more than likey be sitting watching the sky lunchtime game with a couple of beers followed by sky sports and a fixed odd coupon looking forward to the new season already :thumsup2

Archived