The Clyde FC Summer Transfer Spectacular

Clyde director Bobby Gracey contacted the official website with an update on off-field commercial matters and there was good news ahead of the 2013-14 season.

Bobby confirmed that, in the past couple of weeks, both Jamie Barclay and Kieran MacDonald have been snapped up as part of the club's Young Player Investment Initiative.

The scheme offers a unique opportunity for sponsors to assist in the training and development of players under the age of 23. The concept of the programme is to nurture the potential of a player during his time at Clyde, with a commitment of a two-year deal given with the help of sponsor funds. As the player develops, Clyde FC and the sponsor will be entitled to a 50% share of any initial transfer fee received for him.

Bobby said: "As a result of various discussions, an individual investor came forward to sponsor and invest in Clyde 'keeper Jamie Barclay. This was quickly followed by a consortium group coming together to similarly back Kieran MacDonald. The group is led by some well-known supporters; Ian Letham, David Dalziel and Tommy Smith.

"It is not surprising that, following the tremendous efforts of both Jamie and Kieran, they have been identified in such a way. If they maintain the level of performance witnessed last season then they have a real chance to progress as professional football players.

"On behalf of the board, I would like to put on record the club's thanks for these investments. I would also urge any other individuals or consortium groups to consider supporting the club in this way as it really does make a huge difference towards our annual squad budget."

Bobby also confirmed that the club is in final negotiations in relation to sponsorship of both away strips, with further details to be announced in the next couple of weeks.

So does that mean that MacDonald's on a 2 year deal, with Barclay also extending his contract by another year?

If so, :bounce4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm at it, an interesting article from this weeks Rutherglen Reformer;

Clyde boss Jim Duffy has warned his players they could face the sack if they put on too much beef during their pre-season break.

The Bully Wee players have dispersed to enjoy their summer break after a long and hard third division campaign. However, sometimes a player’s worst nightmare is stepping back on the scales after a summer of indulgence.

Clyde issue each player with their personalised plan to follow to make sure that doesn’t happen and they return in prime shape.

They are given a weight target not to exceed and in the unlikely event that a player does pile on too many pounds there could be dire consequences.

Jim said: “Their contract could be terminated.

“We only want professional players at this club and if a player can’t be professional enough to keep himself in reasonable shape during their time off then they have voided their contract as far as I’m concerned.

“When the players come back for pre-season training their weight and body fat percentage is tested.

“Each player is given a programme to follow as some put on weight more easily than others.

“We’ve started arranging the closed door matches for them to get some match practice when they come back. We’ve got nothing confirmed as of yet though.”

Jim is currently searching the junior leagues as he attempts to sign up new recruits while other players will move on.

John Neill, Jim Kane, Lee Sharp, Jack Sloss and Ross Lindsay will all part ways with the club, however Jim insists players exiting and entering will be kept to a minimum as he is looking for increased stability in the club.

He added: “We’ll bring in maybe three to four players, we don’t want to do a complete overhaul as we’re trying to get a level of consistency at the club, but it’s inevitable that some players will move on.

“We’ve already been to see some players, two midfielders and a defender in particular.

“We’ll have to see what they decide.

“Other clubs may be in for them and they will have to go away and make a decision.

“We can’t compete financially with some of the other clubs in the league so obviously that will have a bearing.”

Excuse my daftness but does that mean mcdonald and barclay have signed for 2yrs

Meanin KMD here till 2015 & Barclay till 2016 as he already had a year left.........???????!

Pretty sure that MacDonald will be on a 2 year deal now, which is fantastic news if he continues to progress like he has done. Not sure about Barclay though....dunno if it means that he's signed on for another two years (2016) or whether it's just a one year extension to his current deal (2015). Something which will hopefully be clarified in due course

If Scullion wasn't to be utilised as a forward of any capacity this year I'd like to see him playing just in front of the back line and offer a bit of protection. Fitness isn't good enough for centre back or centre of midfield so that role may suit him more.

He done fairly well in that role when we first brought him in on loan. Obviously not as good as Nicoll but could be a decent stop gap there until we bring somebody better in (if we do).

Mobility is exactly the thing you need if you are in front of a back four, particularly if your partner goes haring around after anything that moves. Him and Sweeney as a pair in there would be absolutely dreadful.

Scullion and Daly together could work. Clyde are basically a long ball team (I know Duffy thinks it's a passing game but he's off his head) so it could create a bit of chaos up there if the wide men were effective enough.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's where the plan creaks! We better up our offer to McColm and make sure we retain his ehh!,umm!, ahhh! what, where was I going with this?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's where the plan creaks! We better up our offer to McColm and make sure we retain his ehh!,umm!, ahhh! what, where was I going with this?

Pace, ability to create chances on his own, crossing ability, use as an effective outball, effort and workload?

Happy to help.

McColm signing up for next term is vital for all the points made above. During a few poor performances he was made the scapegoat, ridiculous but not surprised knowing some of our supporters. Think McColm provides the service that Daly & McCluskey especially will thrive upon.

McColm signing up for next term is vital for all the points made above. During a few poor performances he was made the scapegoat, ridiculous but not surprised knowing some of our supporters. Think McColm provides the service that Daly & McCluskey especially will thrive upon.

Sorry - just can't agree - one of the most ineffectual players I have seen. It's a sign of the times that Clyde supporters are willing to accept this level of player at our club. Sad days indeed.

Archived