The Clyde FC Summer Transfer Spectacular

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ferguson said in one of his first interviews that he'd be using his contacts in the game to try and bring in some loans as well as 'two or three' permanent signings. Don't know if that's still the case mind

It's July 5th most teams are just back training give the guy some time to organise deals

For players who've failed to graduate the academies of professional clubs such as Rangers and Celtic there are two common obstacles to their subsequent development in my opinion. The first of those is the psychological obstacle of coming to terms with a perception of failure. The second is access to good coaching and competitive football, a resource obstacle. Far too many players leave the game with untapped potential in Scotland. If you want to contend otherwise it seems to me as though you would have to argue that our academies succeed largely in recruiting players who are bound for the lowest tier of professional football and below. After all, look at how their drop-outs feed what's now the Scottish Championship and the leagues below it.

Scott Durie is case in point. As may be some of the other names which have been mentioned here. The point I want to make is this: it's not necessarily a cause for despondence that Clyde are looking at such players even if they've had a forgettable year or two at another club. In the last decade the season I greatest enjoyed was 2005/2006. One in which Clyde's squad was made up almost entirely of players recently freed from SPL sides and freed not long after they had graduated their academies - if they had at all. The rare talent of the management and coaches then was to have the players stare the reality of their situation in the face and say, 'Look, we'll work with you all individually and give you a showcase opportunity; we'll also make damn sure you know what it is to be a team'. Some Clyde supporters I know think that 05/06 is an unrepeatable episode in the club's history. I disagree. If Clyde can foster the same defiant attitude as they did among their squad then and at the same time get good, focused coaching on the go then there is no reason why they cannot emulate its success. All things being to scale of course.

Good post well put, but curcumstances dictate, and even at the moment we were down to three signed players, we offered an excellent stepping stone upon which six or seven f that team made excellent careers on the back of playing for what was an established First Division club. Between that and the Junior influx of 98, i believe we have used up more than our nine lives where ressurection-on-a-plate situations are concerned. Id love to be proved wrong, but i believe youare correct in your assesment of the standard of academy products in Scotland of today.

I can understand why these signings/potential signings aren't really brimming folk with confidence but how often do you see a player that's hopeless at one club but good at another? Jordan White is a fine example of that. Different players can thrive under a different leadership.

Kieran MacDonald wasn't exactly known for brilliant defensive attributes but look at the impact going forward he made to the team when he was on his game. Durie seems a similar sort of player.

One thing I can be confident about is that our new management team will take no prisoners and will be quick in line to let a player know he's not performing to standard.

Roll on the campaign.

I can understand why these signings/potential signings aren't really brimming folk with confidence but how often do you see a player that's hopeless at one club but good at another? Jordan White is a fine example of that. Different players can thrive under a different leadership.

Kieran MacDonald wasn't exactly known for brilliant defensive attributes but look at the impact going forward he made to the team when he was on his game. Durie seems a similar sort of player.

One thing I can be confident about is that our new management team will take no prisoners and will be quick in line to let a player know he's not performing to standard.

Roll on the campaign.

Excellent post

I liked David Gray a lot when he played for us, set up all 4 goals in a 4-2 win against Brechin in our promotion year. Great guy too! Hope he's a success he's certainly got the ability.

His Rangers link is that he scored Montroses 30 yard equaliser at Ibrox!

No idea about Thomson though never even came close to leaving the bench.

To be fair, the signings that BF seems to be making are not unlike the kinds of signings Duffy would've made, i.e. young players from clubs of similar stature to ourselves. So I think any fears that we're becoming a mini-Rangers seem unfounded at this stage. He's not bringing in old Rangers pals like McCulloch and Novo (as was suggested), or bringing in young players straight from Rangers (and I'm not convinced it would've been a bad thing if he had).

Because I don't want Clyde being a mini Rangers....is that ok for you?

If any player in this country has ability, the chances are they will have been at rangers or Celtic at some point. So signing a few guys that played with rangers is hardly going to make us a mini rangers is it? Especially when they didn't even play in the first team.

To be fair, the signings that BF seems to be making are not unlike the kinds of signings Duffy would've made, i.e. young players from clubs of similar stature to ourselves. So I think any fears that we're becoming a mini-Rangers seem unfounded at this stage. He's not bringing in old Rangers pals like McCulloch and Novo (as was suggested), or bringing in young players straight from Rangers (and I'm not convinced it would've been a bad thing if he had).
If any player in this country has ability, the chances are they will have been at rangers or Celtic at some point. So signing a few guys that played with rangers is hardly going to make us a mini rangers is it? Especially when they didn't even play in the first team.
These. I dont care where players come from. If they do the business, who cares??? I'm slightly judgemental and easily irritated by ex Thistle players coming to us, but it didn't stop me idolising Ian Spittal or Eddie Annand or anyone else who serves us with distinction. This fucking paranoia surrounding becoming a mini-Strangers does my box in, as it actually justifies the arseholes who genuinely believe there are just two honest allegiances in the country. Can't wait for the first 'f*ck off back to Ibrox' shout at the dugout, as similar shouts towards Simon Donnelly, Paul Hartley and even Ratnamara at Recreation Park didn't half cause a stir. And rightly so with the content.

What a waste of a wage that is

Really? He's only 19 and I thought in his handful of appearances during the 2011/12 season he always looked fairly useful. I'm not too sure how well he performed out on loan at East Kilbride but, he's clearly shown something there to get offered a new deal.

My biggest concern is he seems fairly injury prone but, he's still young and I highly doubt he's going to go into the season as first choice so I think it's justifiable to sign him up for another year.

Archived