Edinburgh or Glasgow?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly, the only place in Scotland where I've ever had anybody try to fight with me or cause trouble is Edinburgh. I was walking down the street (the road between Haymarket and Murrayfield, not on the day of a match) with a coffee in my hand when some jakey bumped into me, resulting in said coffee spilling a wee bit on him, and him then proceeding to try and take me a square go, an offer which I declined.

What do people class as aggressive behaviour?

Oddly, the only place in Scotland where I've ever had anybody try to fight with me or cause trouble is Edinburgh. I was walking down the street (the road between Haymarket and Murrayfield, not on the day of a match) with a coffee in my hand when some jakey bumped into me, resulting in said coffee spilling a wee bit on him, and him then proceeding to try and take me a square go, an offer which I declined.

What do people class as aggressive behaviour?

I was in said bar in West regent street or there or there abouts, I can't remember exactly since I was a bit drunk but I was at the bar and someone knocked into me with THEIR drink, spilt it over me and my girlfriend and then proceeded to start on me (pushing me, getting in my face, shouting etc) he then proceeds and gets his mates over and once that occured the barman told him to get out a long with his mates.

Not going to lie I was a bitty terrified.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I was in said bar in West regent street or there or there abouts, I can't remember exactly since I was a bit drunk but I was at the bar and someone knocked into me with THEIR drink, spilt it over me and my girlfriend and then proceeded to start on me (pushing me, getting in my face, shouting etc) he then proceeds and gets his mates over and once that occured the barman told him to get out a long with his mates.

Agree that this one, insignificant incident means the place is full of vermin. Completely full.

Agree that this one, insignificant incident means the place is full of vermin. Completely full.

Insignificant to you but if you knew me, I don't ever look for trouble in the slightest.

And considering it's never happened anywhere else I've been out in, you could understand why I have a dislike for Glasgow.

Insignificant to you but if you knew me, I don't ever look for trouble in the slightest.

And considering it's never happened anywhere else I've been out in, you could understand why I have a dislike for Glasgow.

One guy acting aggressively absolutely does not allow you to make a sweeping generalisation about the people of Glasgow. Fair enough it might put you off Glasgow but to say "the place is full of vermin" because one guy shouted at you is outrageous.

That was one incident. Every town or city in every country has it's vermin. You happened to come up to a bit of Glasgow vermin. If you're too thick to understand that, then I'm afraid that's your problem.

Both cities are great, both have pros and cons. the best thing is both are only 60 miles from each other with regular train / bus service between the both. means we get the best of both worlds.

Correct.

Edinburgh becomes fucking intolerable during the festival. Takes hours to get anywhere, full of tourists who either call it Edinberg or Edinborrow.

Also correct.

I far prefer Glasgow personally, Edinburgh is decent as well but I think for someone in their 20s Glasgow is better. Edinburgh has always struck me as somewhere I might prefer when I get to mid 30s.

This debate always showcases the most annoying aspect of Pie and Bovril, people coming out with hugely exaggerated statements to try and make sure their point is made amongst the hundreds of posts. There's a middle ground or some moderation you can use whilst still making your point clear.

I've spent a fair bit of time in both what with my mum being a disgusting weegie but also living just across the water from Edinburgh.

Glasgow pips it for me though. Less pretentious wanks to deal with.

I do get the impression that anyone cowering in fear over aggressive Glaswegians is somewhat of a shitebag.

When I first started going to Glasgow for gigs and club nights my ignorant east cost prejudices and belief in stupid stereotypes were in full effect. I would walk around paranoid as f**k thinking I'd be getting chibbed at any given moment. I was scared to walk up Sauchiehall Street for f**k sake! There's a misconception that it's like the wild west in Glasgow. It's really not.

I'm in Glasgow a lot these days, and have had a fuckload of nights out there over the years. I've never had any bother, felt threatened or witnessed anything more than the odd drunken scuffle on the street. Glasgwegians are by and large as friendly and welcoming a bunch of people as any in Scotland.

I think the east coast/west coast think is mainly perpetuated by east coasters who maybe have a wee inferiority complex about them. There's genuine rage and dislike for Glasgow in places out east (Hi, Edinburgh!). As far as I can tell no-one in Glasgow really gives a f**k about it.

I think the east coast/west coast think is mainly perpetuated by east coasters who maybe have a wee inferiority complex about them. There's genuine rage and dislike for Glasgow in places out east (Hi, Edinburgh!). As far as I can tell no-one in Glasgow really gives a f**k about it.

Within my group of friends its always the opposite way around,the weegies start slagging the edinburgers whilst they just think im some madman from the frozen north,i quite like both cities and as someone mentioned its great that they are only an hour bus ride apart

When you say "more friendly" do you mean "more likely to latch onto you drunkenly in a bar and not take the hint to GTF with their oh-so-witty Glesga banter.

In my experience, this whole friendly image glasgow has given itself is a pile of pish.

By more friendly I mean not looking down their noses at you because they thought you were a weegie and being cold and obnoxious.

As I said maybe it was this particular set of people who were silver spoon types but it's not good crack to isolate people for something they have no control over.

I became friends with a few and thought they were ok but some of their attitudes towards Glasgow was pathetic and they talked about it as if it was Beruit and had no redeamable qualities at all.

The soundest people at the company were from up north or glasgow, always spoke when passing and had time for you.

Counter this to working in Glasgow, made friends within the first few days and felt much more comfortable.

I have no doubt that if I turned up at my first job with a university of edinburgh scarf and an english accent I would have been treated much better.

It's not just at work though, got relatives from edinburgh and they looked down on us because we were from Fife and not in a jokey way.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a culture of violence and some deprived areas in Glasgow but if you do your research then you have somewhere that is vastly superior to Edinburgh for shopping, nights out and attractions other than a castle.

I'm a Glasgow boy born and raised, but my only gripe with Edinburgh is.....no matter which direction you are walking you are always going up hill. You walk up hill to get to your destination, try to turn and go back and you're still going up hill.

I am a lazy b*****d.

Archived