Edinburgh or Glasgow?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edinburgh. I can't really explain why, I just prefer it to Glasgow.

In saying that, there are a few areas where Glasgow has the advantage. Glasgow's public transport system absolutely shits over Edinburgh's - Excellent train/underground service and I'd imagine the buses are pretty good too, though I wouldn't know as I've never used them. I also feel Glasgow is better for shopping, and it seems from my limited experience that you get more for your money in terms of property.

Another one Glasgow wins on - there isn't a festival, so there isn't a month where the city centre becomes a complete nightmare.

Lothian Buses is arguably the best bus service in the UK.

I'll agree about the bus service, but the Subway is fantastic way to travel. every few minutes, no traffic.

The Glasgow Folk are more friendly the ones I've met from Edinburgh seem fine I don't have any issues with the Eastcoasters . Spent many a good year on holiday through at North Berwick and as a boy at Port Seaton. We have areas within which are not as good as others but Edinburgh will have the same. The Castle on the main street takes a bit of beating though. The planners in Glasgow knocked down some perfectly good buildings here in Glasgow which where on a par with some in Edinburgh big mistake imo. My Dad always used to say if you were visiting relatives in Glasgow the folk would always say you will have a cup of tea and in Edinburgh folk would say you will have had your tea.

I'm in Glasgow all of the time. It's like a home away from home for me, and I love the place. It's amazing that I've never had any hassle there considering the number of times I've been out there in the last 10 or so years, and then just basically being there constantly for the last five.

I don't have much to say about Edinburgh. Been there three times for gigs and I've found it pleasant enough. I'm going back in August so I might make a day of it.

th_b53e77fe0a9d30e377d77b66d1b10e74_edim

v

Glasgow-Skyline.jpg

I fail to see the point?

i'm sure you have plenty of cities around the world that look good in a picture, but you wouldn't want to live in it, also you've obviously sought out a picture to try and make Glasgow less than flattering.

Both cities are great, both have pros and cons. the best thing is both are only 60 miles from each other with regular train / bus service between the both. means we get the best of both worlds.

The myths about people from Edinburgh being unfriendly etc clearly stem from jealousy at our wonderful cities prosperity. 8)

Are Glaswegians really that friendly anyway? See: Celtic and Rangers, the Old Firm derby, the wife-beating and murder statistics etc. 8)

i'm sure you have plenty of cities around the world that look good in a picture, but you wouldn't want to live in it, also you've obviously sought out a picture to try and make Glasgow less than flattering.

I don't think the Glasgow photo is too bad, aside from the grey sky. Shows the mix of the old and the new and sums up Glasgow in some ways. You've got the odd ornate spire here and there, but generally it is no-nonsense and unpretentious architecture.

There's no doubt Edinburgh is better to look at. I spend a fair bit of time in Edinburgh for work and there's no doubt it would be a great city to visit for a short break - definitely better than Glasgow. My personal preference would be to live in Glasgow though - the local amenities are generally better and owning a car doesn't make you want to cut yourself quite as much.

I have noted that Edinburghers tend to remark on the fact you're a weegie an awful lot, and seem generally more bitter towards Glasgow, but that's probably just because my opinion of Edinburghers is influenced by every one of them I meet, whereas my opinion of weegies is influenced by me and my friends. So just because we don't think it remarkable that someone comes from a city 40-odd miles away and just because we don't hate Edinburgh with a passion it doesn't mean all us weegies are like that.

Having used their buses fairly frequently, I'd agree that it's a great service, even if it has been disrupted by the trams over the past few years.

That and the trams (when eventually completed) won't match the subway and train service in Glasgow, though. The service is absolutely excellent.

Best bit about Edinburgh is the fact it only takes less than an hour on the train to get to Glasgow.

Best bit about Glasgow is the fact it only takes less than an hour on the train to get to Edinburgh.

Trolling aside, I actually have nothing against Glasgow. It has produced some marvelous inventors and scientific minds and has been at the forefront of many innovations.

Really, one would be lost without the other and the 'rivalry' is healthy.

I fail to see the point?

Both cities are great, both have pros and cons. the best thing is both are only 60 miles from each other with regular train / bus service between the both. means we get the best of both worlds.

I didn't have to search that hard for an ugly picture tbf, the Edinburgh skyline is far superior but it's a fair point about it being a poor judgement of livability.

I lived in Glasgow (Well, just outside) for my whole high school life and never really liked it. Hard to say why though, never felt at home there and part of that was through people having a bit of a chip on their shoulder over people that aren't from Glasgow. Not sure how I'd feel about the city if I moved back now I'm older and would be working in an office or the like, I'd expect that to be a totally different experience to growing up there and might have a higher opinion of the place.

I'm always open to any city that gets a bad rap though so I'd recommend both cities to anyone, I'd never have thought 2 years ago I'd be saying I prefer Dundee to either Glasgow or Edinburgh. :lol:

I've actually been to Dundee about once and never been to Aberdeen at all, which seems odd now that I think about it.

ETA - When I say that I mean visiting the city proper. Going to Pittodrie on a supporters bus or visiting a client in Dundee doesn't really count.

Archived