Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Ultimately it's a matter of taste and you're never going to sell caviar to people who don't like fish.

For those who are still floating vo

City of Glasgow Byelaws Prohibiting Consumption of Alcoholic Liquor in Designated Place

These byelaws came into force in August 1996 and were created under sections 210-203 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.

It is an offence to consume alcoholic liquor in public places, except between the hours of 6pm on 31 December to 6am on 1 January.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City of Glasgow Byelaws Prohibiting Consumption of Alcoholic Liquor in Designated Place

These byelaws came into force in August 1996 and were created under sections 210-203 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.

It is an offence to consume alcoholic liquor in public places, except between the hours of 6pm on 31 December to 6am on 1 January.

Glasgow - More fun

Edinburgh - Nicer city

We should be more proud of - Edinburgh

Where would I rather live - ...I'll say Glasgow for now.

I'd agree with this too. I lived in Glasgow when at Uni but both my brothers live in Edinburgh. If I had to move back down to one of them, I'd choose Glasgow again.

For what it's worth having worked in both places I found Glasgow people to be more genuine and friendly. When I worked in Edinburgh the director of the company was a bit stand offfish when I first started speaking to him. He asked which part of 'the west' I was from. When I said I was from fife it was like I told him I hadn't just impregnated his teenage daughter or something!? I always thought that edinburgh and Glasgow people disliked each other but from my experience people from Glasgow couldn't care less about Edinburgh but Edinburgh people seem obsessed about Glasgow.

At first I just thought the director was a bit stuck up but then just about every colleague had some hard luck story about being mugged in Glasgow or some friend had etc. they also looked down their noses at fife and would rather live in a shithole part of Edinburgh. I don't know why this group of people were like that, some of them were from private school so I guess it was some sort of inbuilt supposed superiority complex.

When I worked in Glasgow, yes I got ripped for being a fifer but in a nice way and not genuinely looking down at someone.

Sure there are lots of nice genuine people from Edinburgh but quite a few I've met have a huge chip on their shoulder.

It's not a good trait for people from the capital city of our country.

Edinburgh. I can't really explain why, I just prefer it to Glasgow.

In saying that, there are a few areas where Glasgow has the advantage. Glasgow's public transport system absolutely shits over Edinburgh's - Excellent train/underground service and I'd imagine the buses are pretty good too, though I wouldn't know as I've never used them. I also feel Glasgow is better for shopping, and it seems from my limited experience that you get more for your money in terms of property.

Another one Glasgow wins on - there isn't a festival, so there isn't a month where the city centre becomes a complete nightmare.

Archived