Edinburgh or Glasgow?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't be serious?

Ok, fair do's. There are worse places in deepest Ayrshire etc but it's certainly not top of the list like Weegies like to think. Nowhere near it should have been my point.

(Original post now edited for this point)

either way...they both beat Aberdeen!

I decided to move here over the big two for a reason tbh. I'm out in the sticks temporarily but can't wait to move back in the summer. Other than the SECC & Scotland games, I can't think of any reason I'd need to go to Glasgow because I can't get/do it in Aberdeen. That's a total tangent to the debate though, sorry.

I do believe there is a popularly held misconception in the Glasgow/West of Scotland area that civilised life in Scotland begins and ends there.

I've lived in both cities - spent my formative years around Glasgow's west end which was great, and then later on when married, lived in Edinburgh and Fife for several years. Once married it doesn't really matter where you live - same fucking rut wherever you are.

Inverness and the Scottish Highlands is definitely THE place to be - especially when separated or divorced!

Glasgow: possibly the highest crime rate in the UK yet they think they're the most civilised bunch in Scotland and better than (what VT refers to as) the 'Savages', many of which only need a key to turn their car engine on.

The reality: Glasgow is well down the Civilisation League Table. Laughable for them to preach to the rest of us really.

I love the fact that Glasgow's detractors often get off on using crime/mortality statistics to denigrate the place.

For most folk on here who are essentially from a middle class backgound, you're unlikely to ever experience the Glasgow these statistics depict. The city is the most disparate place I know, both in a positive way (different nationalities, cultures etc) and a negative sense (massive disparates in income, health, life chances within a tiny area).

For those of us lucky enough to live on the right side of the tracks, our standard of living shits on most other places from a great height. The "other" Glasgow of bigotry, violence and cardiac arrest might as well be another planet.

This lack of social cohesion is nowt to be proud of, but that's the way things are and will be for the forseeable.

Edinburgh certainly wins hands down on a visual aspect, it is a stunning city steeped in history. I would say glasgow is funner, filled with jakeys but at least they are friendly! Both are good cities in their own ways...either way...they both beat Aberdeen!

Anything can beat Aberdeen.

Well, apart from Dundee, maybe.

Glasgow and the greater region surrounding it constitutes 20% of the Scottish population, and by far its biggest urban area. Glasgow is to Scotland what Amsterdam is for the Netherlands.

Edinburgh is also roughly 20%. Glasgow does not 'represent life in scotland' anymore than any other scottish city or even town.

Anyone link in the populations of both cities?

The Edinburgh area's apparently c.487k but that's including places like Queensferry, Kirkliston etc I'm guessing.

For discussion here, Glasgow is only c.8,000 due to the large amount of cherry-picking going on.

I talk to many foreigners who wish to visit Scotland: I always state that they should visit both cities. Edinburgh is the more tourist-attractive centre, and is a very good city to visit. Glasgow is an experience of how the majority of people in Scotland live: not to mention the free cultural attractions within the city itself.

Scotland in general has so much to offer but the price of hostels etc make it pretty much impossible for travellers to justify spending more than a couple of days here. It is literally just as expensive for me to travel around central Europe as it would be to visit the west coast and Skye for the same number of days.

Glasgow is becoming far more attractive to tourists, there's noticeably more tourists in the city than there was 10 years ago. However, I have to wonder how many tourists go to any city to experience the 'real' experience of the ordinary citizen (even if we take it as read that Glasgow offers such an opportunity) Are there larger numbers of tourists making the trip from Krakow to Warsaw, given that Warsaw is a far larger but less typically touristy city?

Glasgow by a country mile. I'm moving there in the summer.

I think this means Glasgow will win in the summer.

I'm not going to actually weigh in on the debate because I've spent so little time in Edinburgh, especially compared to all of my life in Glasgow but you can add me to the list of Glaswegians who've never had any trouble either. I've been out loads of times in Glasgow, walked through the city centre with people and by myself. No incidents to report.

I love the fact that Glasgow's detractors often get off on using crime/mortality statistics to denigrate the place.

For most folk on here who are essentially from a middle class backgound, you're unlikely to ever experience the Glasgow these statistics depict. The city is the most disparate place I know, both in a positive way (different nationalities, cultures etc) and a negative sense (massive disparates in income, health, life chances within a tiny area).

For those of us lucky enough to live on the right side of the tracks, our standard of living shits on most other places from a great height. The "other" Glasgow of bigotry, violence and cardiac arrest might as well be another planet.

This lack of social cohesion is nowt to be proud of, but that's the way things are and will be for the forseeable.

But everyone else is saying Glasgow's great because of how Scottish it is, unlike Edinburgh with those b*****ding non-Scottish types?

I'm confused now.

I find nights out in Glasgow city centre very easy to get around as every street with pubs on it intersects another so it's great for a pub crawl and a night out. I've only been in Edinburgh a few times but found there was alot more distance between pubs and clubs. This should surely be how we rate cities?

Glasgow is an excellent and easily navigable city for shopping, dining and drinking. Edinburgh is a mish mash of brothels, strip clubs and a castle. Its a matter of personal choice of course but I think all those who dont answer Glasgow should take a look at themselves in the mirror.

There is not even a slight chance nearly 90,000 people live in the city of Stirling. You're looking at 40,000, tops.

Can only assume that's going by council area, which will include Bridge of Allan, Fallin, Cowie, even Dunblane which is six or seven miles away.

There is not even a slight chance nearly 90,000 people live in the city of Stirling. You're looking at 40,000, tops.

Can only assume that's going by council area, which will include Bridge of Allan, Fallin, Cowie, even Dunblane which is six or seven miles away.

If that was the case then Glasgow would probably be over a million and Edinburgh around 800,000.

Glasgow is an excellent and easily navigable city for shopping, dining and drinking. Edinburgh is a mish mash of brothels, strip clubs and a castle. Its a matter of personal choice of course but I think all those who dont answer Glasgow should take a look at themselves in the mirror.

I've heard it said there are no brothels in Glasgow because Glasgow wimmin give it away for free.

I had a look, now what?

Might have been a typo since its below Inverness at 56k. Possibly 39 instead of 89?

Archived