Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Glasgow is a lot cheaper so ill go for it. I've been around the city all my life and never felt threatened, its easy when you know what places to avoid.

I feel perfectly safe walking through Glasgow drunk in the early hours of the morning.

But Glasgow like Edinburgh will have good areas and bad areas. I would much prefer both over London.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One aspect that hasn't been discussed is education. It's a fairly even split with regards to good uni's but everyone knows Glasgow Caledonian is the most prestigious university between the two cities, claiming otherwise would be a case of inferior minds scrambling for relevance.

One aspect that hasn't been discussed is education. It's a fairly even split with regards to good uni's but everyone knows Glasgow Caledonian is the most prestigious university between the two cities, claiming otherwise would be a case of inferior minds scrambling for relevance.

Napier runs it close though!

I went to University of Glasgow and I can together a barely string sentence.

Napier runs it close though!

I went to University of Glasgow and I can together a barely string sentence.

I know what you mean.

I used to be one of these people who could never finish a sentence but now I

No offence, but that's a ridiculous statement. What tourist attractions do you know in Granton, Pilton, Muirhouse, Craigentinny, Drylaw, Royston, Sighthill, Oxgangs or Niddrie? I could go on and on.

Edinburgh has a shit area named Royston?

If it wasn't bad enough that youz ripped off Sighthill in a vain attempt to be hard.

No offence, but that's a ridiculous statement. What tourist attractions do you know in Granton, Pilton, Muirhouse, Craigentinny, Drylaw, Royston, Sighthill, Oxgangs or Niddrie? I could go on and on.

If it wasn't bad enough that youz ripped off Sighthill in a vain attempt to be hard.

He's cheating slightly because Royston is arguably part of Pilton.

There's some pretty deprived and "tough" areas in both cities the difference is that in Glasgow they seem to extend for mile upon mile.

A quick search shows that both Sighthill's were knocked up at the same time. Can't find anything on Royston.

You Sellik fans aren't great with history it seems. ;)

He's cheating slightly because Royston is arguably part of Pilton.

Try telling that to the YMR boys.

Very nawty lemon geezers.

A quick search shows that both Sighthill's were knocked up at the same time. Can't find anything on Royston.

You Sellik fans aren't great with history it seems. ;)

Royston is called Garngad really. I think they started calling it Royston about the same time they started letting Protestants live there.

I talk to many foreigners who wish to visit Scotland: I always state that they should visit both cities. Edinburgh is the more tourist-attractive centre, and is a very good city to visit. Glasgow is an experience of how the majority of people in Scotland live: not to mention the free cultural attractions within the city itself.

Scotland in general has so much to offer but the price of hostels etc make it pretty much impossible for travellers to justify spending more than a couple of days here. It is literally just as expensive for me to travel around central Europe as it would be to visit the west coast and Skye for the same number of days.

I talk to many foreigners who wish to visit Scotland: I always state that they should visit both cities. Edinburgh is the more tourist-attractive centre, and is a very good city to visit. Glasgow is an experience of how the majority of people in Scotland live: not to mention the free cultural attractions within the city itself.

Scotland in general has so much to offer but the price of hostels etc make it pretty much impossible for travellers to justify spending more than a couple of days here. It is literally just as expensive for me to travel around central Europe as it would be to visit the west coast and Skye for the same number of days.

What complete and utter claptrap!

There are any amount of tourists visiting Scotland from all over the world and staying for much longer than "a couple of days".

Where on earth did you get the idea that Glasgow is typical of how the majority of people in Scotland live?

What complete and utter claptrap!

There are any amount of tourists visiting Scotland from all over the world and staying for much longer than "a couple of days".

Then they are idiots. Any sensible traveller would chuck Scotland after a couple of days and move on to a more inviting country. Between the strength of the pound and the price of living, Scotland is one of the worst destinations for travellers to visit. Which is why they go to Edinburgh and ignore the vast majority of the country.

You'd have to be a complete and utter moron to spend four days in Edinburgh rather than four days in Prague: at literally a quarter of the price.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Glasgow is typical of how the majority of people in Scotland live?

Glasgow and the greater region surrounding it constitutes 20% of the Scottish population, and by far its biggest urban area. Glasgow is to Scotland what Amsterdam is for the Netherlands.

Then they are idiots. Any sensible traveller would chuck Scotland after a couple of days and move on to a more inviting country. Between the strength of the pound and the price of living, Scotland is one of the worst destinations for travellers to visit. Which is why they go to Edinburgh and ignore the vast majority of the country.

You'd have to be a complete and utter moron to spend four days in Edinburgh rather than four days in Prague: at literally a quarter of the price.

Maybe you need to get out more, VT...

Check out this Top Ten list of some of Scotland's popular tourist attractions :

http://www.touropia.com/tourist-attractions-in-scotland/

Much of my working life involves dealing with visitors to the Scottish Highlands. I wouldn't describe them as morons.

You're dealing with an absolutely tiny minority of visitors to Scotland, the majority of which justifiably visit London, skip to Edinburgh then bog off to a reasonably-priced country instead.

You're dealing with an absolutely tiny minority of visitors to Scotland, the majority of which justifiably visit London, skip to Edinburgh then bog off to a reasonably-priced country instead.

No they don't.

They maybe start off in Edinburgh, maybe visit St Andrews and even Dundee in some cases.(God forbid)

Then they come to Inverness - maybe via Pitlochry and Aviemore. They then visit some of the many tourist attractions around this area, and Loch Ness - maybe have a day trip to Isle of Skye, or maybe the Orkney Isles - maybe play some golf on some very special courses like Royal Dornoch or Castle Stuart.

Then they give me lots of money and then head back home.

:)

More to the point the idea that "Glasgow is an experience of how the majority of people in Scotland live" presupposes that the majority of people in Scotland live in a similar manner. Not even the majority of Glaswegians live in a similar manner.

If our hypothetical visitor were to esconce himself in Hyndland for a few days they'd have a very different experience from the one they'd have in Denniston or Govan.

The difference between the cities isn't that they're made from different ingredients it's just that those ingredients are mixed in different proportion.

There is little that you can find in one but not the other the difference is how much effort you need to put in to looking for or avoiding particular ingredients.

More to the point the idea that "Glasgow is an experience of how the majority of people in Scotland live" presupposes that the majority of people in Scotland live in a similar manner. Not even the majority of Glaswegians live in a similar manner.

If our hypothetical visitor were to esconce himself in Hyndland for a few days they'd have a very different experience from the one they'd have in Denniston or Govan.

The difference between the cities isn't that they're made from different ingredients it's just that those ingredients are mixed in different proportion.

There is little that you can find in one but not the other the difference is how much effort you need to put in to looking for or avoiding particular ingredients.

I do believe there is a popularly held misconception in the Glasgow/West of Scotland area that civilised life in Scotland begins and ends there.

I've lived in both cities - spent my formative years around Glasgow's west end which was great, and then later on when married, lived in Edinburgh and Fife for several years. Once married it doesn't really matter where you live - same fucking rut wherever you are.

Inverness and the Scottish Highlands is definitely THE place to be - especially when separated or divorced!

I do believe there is a popularly held misconception in the Glasgow/West of Scotland area that civilised life in Scotland begins and ends there.

I've lived in both cities - spent my formative years around Glasgow's west end which was great, and then later on when married, lived in Edinburgh and Fife for several years. Once married it doesn't really matter where you live - same fucking rut wherever you are.

Inverness and the Scottish Highlands is definitely THE place to be - especially when separated or divorced!

Glasgow: possibly the highest crime rate in the UK yet they think they're the most civilised bunch in Scotland and better than (what VT refers to as) the 'Savages', many of which only need a key to turn their car engine on.

The reality: Glasgow is well down the Civilisation League Table. Laughable for them to preach to the rest of us really. Top of this one though.

It really depends what you like?

In my opinion for people under 30, Glasgow is the best due to its nightlife, the gigs they have at the SECC/O2/ABC/Barrowlands, has more universities etc.

If you are over 30, Edinburgh has more culture, more history, more eye-catch, more cool bars/cocktail bars for a night out.

Edinburgh certainly wins hands down on a visual aspect, it is a stunning city steeped in history. I would say glasgow is funner, filled with jakeys but at least they are friendly! Both are good cities in their own ways...either way...they both beat Aberdeen!

Archived