Gordon EF

Anyone been watching The History Channel's new drama series, Vikings? I;ve just watched the first five episodes and it's absolutely fantastic. The Hstory channel seem to to these things very well after The Hatfields and the McCoys last year.

Have seen the first seven episodes (where-ever its up to in US) and is essential watching for me! Excellent show that gets better each episode. Some of the character names are great - Ragnar, Rollo and Floki! The female characters are all very good and the whole thing is done a really nice pace, never feels too slow or too rapid.

Its been renewed for a second season and would be in my top 3 recommendations for new shows this year. Top stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

3 episodes into this. It is very good and visually stunning. However, I do find it difficult to like any of the characters, and that is a significant problem for me.

I get the impression that we are supposed to view the Earl as the antagonist and 'bad guy' but, in my mind, all of the Vikings are 'bad guys'. At this stage, they seem to be one-dimensional characters without an ounce of empathy. Rollo is the worst, but that is clearly intentional. On the other hand, I think we are supposed to like Floki, but he's my least favourite character. An absolute creep of a human being. As a main protagonist, Ragnar maybe is the only one with the capability of developing as a character (as well as the priest). However, he is also very unlikeable at this stage in time. I realise that these are Vikings and it's what they did, but I couldn't care less if the Earl killed every single one of them. That, to me, is a fundamental failure of the show if it continues in a similar manner in the remaining episodes. I will continue to watch until the end.

Not like the Priest? I think he is quite a likeable character along with Ragnar's wife (can't remember her name)

I'd agree with you on both cases. They are good characters with a lot of potential to develop further. I just don't like any of the vikings. I've watched 7 episodes now. I am very much enjoying it, but I still think they are nasty people and I wouldn't care if the English forces killed all of them. Especially Floki.

Just finished the series. Still feel exactly the same way. Ragnar's a horrible piece of work. It says a lot that I prefer Rollo. Perhaps it is the actor's performance which I dislike. The constantly creepy smirk on his face does absolutely nothing to make me warm to him.

The episodes have felt a bit strange time-wise. They have rushed things a bit, in my opinion. A lot of things which could have been very interesting to witness were completely brushed over. I would have liked to have seen how Ragnar settled in as the new Earl and how his comrades took to him as their new leader. Yet, almost as soon as he becomes the new Earl, there is a huge shift in time and we see the next raid instead. Likewise, a lot of time is focused on the death of the viking who is sacrificed in the penultimate episode, but you can't expect me to have any sympathy for the situation when I barely have a clue who he is. He has hardly featured in any scenes, and neither has Ragnar's daughter. That latter death, in particular, should have been a pivotal moment.

This series has many positives and I will probably continue to watch it when the second series arrives. It is a good story and the acting is largely excellent, but I'm not as invested in it as I had hoped to be. Also, the trailer for the second series is absolutely bizarre. It reeks of unintelligent production choices (potentially huge spoilers in it).

http://www.seat42f.com/vikings-season-2-trailer.html

• 6 months later...

This second series is very good. I'm starting to warm to Ragnar a bit more. I still hate the rest of the Vikings though. Rollo and Athelstan remain interesting characters and I've now developed quite a crush on Lagertha. It's painful. :( Aslaug is dull as dishwater.

• 1 month later...

For anyone thats not checked this out yet, it starts on The UK History Channel on the 13th of May

Is that series 1 or 2?

Todays Radio Times seems to be giving a write up for sees 1

• 4 weeks later...

Might start watching this soon.

Found out that the guy who voiced Ulfric Stormcloak in Skyrim is in this. Don't know his or his character's names but you'll probably recognise his voice

• 4 weeks later...