ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

44 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I've said it before and not long after the SECC that the Grado story would never be beaten in terms of the sheer emotion captured over the span of it.

Was gutted when he lost it to Renfrew. There were plenty of folk in the crowd going mental but I absolutely hated it. Loads of folk started hating Grado because he was popular and their shite edgelord king got the cheers.

Was gutted when he lost it to Renfrew. There were plenty of folk in the crowd going mental but I absolutely hated it. Loads of folk started hating Grado because he was popular and their shite edgelord king got the cheers.
Wrestling attracts a lot of morons who are desperate to be different and edgy as you say.

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Wrestling attracts a lot of morons who are desperate to be different and edgy as you say.

Don't think that's a wrestling thing.

Think it's just a thing.

On 14/08/2020 at 20:37, Stellaboz said:
On 14/08/2020 at 19:40, DA Baracus said:

Renfrew cut a pretty good promo the month before which got a lot of people on side. ICW WANTED the mixed crowd that night. It's not as simple as just cheering the heel. And they did it knowing it wouldn't be that hard to get Renfrew cheered because he was hugely popular for years before it.

Grado has been sorely underrated as a wrestler for ages. He's always been seen as just a character and at one point, it was definitely true. But he developed into something quite brilliant very quickly. 

• 3 months later...

So that's ICW putting brand new Fight Club on. I had heard that they'd been taping shows recently so I guess that confirms it.

Looks like it'll be on the Network for definite. They haven't mentioned if it's on their own one.

Edited by Andre Drazen

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

And will anyone watch it? I hope not, bunch of sexual predators and paedos in charge.

Not a fucking chance which is really shit for the genuine good folk out there involved. Stunned at how quickly this all seems to be  glossed over though with ICW back to normal. Doesn’t sit rite one bit 

• 2 months later...

It's safe to say ICW have not covered themselves in glory here 

I feel that stupidly vague statement was only put out because they had to do something before the big Network announcement, in fact its almost like they think that will distract people from everything they have been accused of

Thhey said they have a welfare officer. But not said who... Why hide who it is.. If they exist at all 

The whole thing about not booking guys if they are charged.. That's the thing that drew my eye, as others have said what about others that haven't been actually charged for whatever reason or ones where its not a crime cops would be called for

But the worst I think is the blatant exploitation of Lionheart, its worse than WWE with Eddie Guerrero, every video posted was lionheart, every picture to promote an event on the network was lionhearts match even if it was nowhere near the main event, Tracey Smothers.. The very first import to wrestle in ICW dies.. How to they mark that day.. A Lionheart video.. WWE tweets name an under rated Superstars theme.. ICW tweets lionhearts theme.. I could go on.. Its like they are actively trying to distract people from all the horrible cra they been accused of

I find the whole thing bewildering amoral

12 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I hope they fold! 

Well, for alot of people ICW was as much a social event as a wrestling one, and for some watching it on OnDemand or the Network isn't quite the same, if anything Billy Kirkwood, while a talented comedian.. I can only tolerate his commentary in short bursts.

And with all Covid stuff lasting this long people may move on/not miss it/etc and that's befor you take into account the decline in quality it was taking, the bizarre reactions to speaking out, they have lost a chunk of the fanbase

This Network deal, there's only one family benefiting from that and its not the Dallas family, WWE will use it as virtual talent scouting "alot of people on the network are watching matches with this guy Stevie Boy.. Hey he's quite good.. Sign him up"  ICW aint there outta the goodness of McMahons heart

What cracks me up is after years of people saying to me and other critical fans you never wrestled/don't know the business, their head writer is Scott Reid.. Who wrote their magazine.. He's basically Scotlands own Vince Russo and the booking of the last year's have shown

ICW deserves to fold, when you look at everything.. Their attitude to speaking out I feel was the last straw for alot

oh wow, i dipped into the wrasslin' subforum out of curiousity after the royal rumble. Just read the last few pages, legit had totally missed all the scandal (s!) as it unfolded 😮 

basically a case of the company growing too big for its boots + a stupid, carny culture spreading from the top down + unwarranted sense of self important "i'm a big deal down at the cracker factory" shite from all involved ripping it apart from the inside, chestburster style?

Think there's a similar thought process with regard to drink driving. c***s thinking they're just invincible until they end up smashing into a wall at 45mph without a seatbelt on or, perhaps more appropriately here as sad as it is, hurting other people through their behaviour.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I don't think "too big for it's boots" has anything to do it. I think there's a poisonous culture in wrestling which has existed for far too long. And a lot of it happened to be up here.

The number of absolute no marks involved in this over the UK has been huge. So I don't think that has much to do with anything. I'd like to think I've seen a LOT of UK wrestlers, yet so many involved in this just had me thinking "who?" Seen similar in the US as well. And it's probably going on elsewhere without being shown as much. It's just a seedy horrible business all ends up.

EDIT: Just to add, it doesn't take a lot of "power" to make someone feel invincible.

Edited by Andre Drazen

On 03/02/2021 at 02:03, Thistle_do_nicely said:

oh wow, i dipped into the wrasslin' subforum out of curiousity after the royal rumble. Just read the last few pages, legit had totally missed all the scandal (s!) as it unfolded 😮 

basically a case of the company growing too big for its boots + a stupid, carny culture spreading from the top down + unwarranted sense of self important "i'm a big deal down at the cracker factory" shite from all involved ripping it apart from the inside, chestburster style?

Think there's a similar thought process with regard to drink driving. c***s thinking they're just invincible until they end up smashing into a wall at 45mph without a seatbelt on or, perhaps more appropriately here as sad as it is, hurting other people through their behaviour.

Pretty much the case, ICW in the ring kinda hit its peak around 2015-16, but nXt UK, bad booking, confusing story lines and odd focus contributed to its fall, its the same tired crap

Outside the ring, even before speaking out they had a horrible attitude to any critical opinion which doesn't bode well, you can't expect everyone to like everything and not point out the flaws and when speaking out started.. God their reaction.. Or lack thereof was. Disgusting they have done nothing that puts fans minds at ease.. Just raised more questions

On 04/02/2021 at 22:30, Doctor Bedlam said:

Pretty much the case, ICW in the ring kinda hit its peak around 2015-16, but nXt UK, bad booking, confusing story lines and odd focus contributed to its fall, its the same tired crap

Outside the ring, even before speaking out they had a horrible attitude to any critical opinion which doesn't bode well, you can't expect everyone to like everything and not point out the flaws and when speaking out started.. God their reaction.. Or lack thereof was. Disgusting they have done nothing that puts fans minds at ease.. Just raised more questions

Well done on your first post on this sub that wasn't at least in large part about yourself! Personal growth at its finest!