ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

Reed's gimmick had potential in a nudge,nudge, wink, wink satire sort of way but they've completely went the other direction appealing to the worst common denominator/dregs of society. Suppose that's my fault for expecting wrestling/ICW to be capable of such subtlety.

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Reed's gimmick had potential in a nudge,nudge, wink, wink satire sort of way but they've completely went the other direction appealing to the worst common denominator/dregs of society. Suppose that's my fault for expecting wrestling/ICW to be capable of such subtlety.

Absolutely this. They really need to bin it.  Square Go and Shugs were my two favourite shows of the year. Can't be bothered with Shugs anymore since it went two nights and I have a life that gets in the way of giving up entire weekends for wrestling plus it's also full of filler. Suspect I'll be missing the square go as well, which sucks but is the reality of their current direction/booking.

Jason Reed was excellent in the Trump-like thing. Think I noted that not long ago on this very thread actually. Not actually been that impressed with him in the ring but he's not shite or anything, and he's not been around long. I hope they see sense pretty quickly. One thing though...

Suppose that's my fault for expecting wrestling/ICW to be capable of such subtlety.

It's not that they're not capable, which kinda makes it worse.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Wells said:

It's not that they're not capable, which kinda makes it worse.

Its been a while since their storylines have shown real depth. It was the norm for a while. Even amongst their habit of swerve/turn/swerve/turn/repeat there was always good, well built stuff. It's been thin on the ground the last couple of years. I don't know if it's just me, but as they were peaking up 5 years or so ago (and an actual TV deal was a realistic proposition) there just generally seemed to be more thought put into it. It's just like the booking is phoned in now.

They have had really dropped the standards in storytelling yeah, what got me was the Dallas heel turn, it was like they suddenly forgot how to book a heel owner, he just pestered the mid card and generally acted like he had no more influence than coach trip or the wee man, and Joe hendry the future of icw doesn't get near the title scene.. Who wrote this? 

The Jason Reed sectarian crap needs addressed and soon, I heard someone outside refer to him as a good staunch orange man...  OK that's not an official part of the gimmick but the rot needs to stop here. 

I know some of you wondered why I didn't take up the offer to interview dallas 1, don't do interviews, there's too many interview podcasts and stuff around 2, i wa dubious of his reasons for wanting to see me, a lifetime ban if I'm lucky.. Beat up by the boys if I'm not 3, the questions I wanna ask he won't answer

4 hours ago, Doctor Bedlam said:

They have had really dropped the standards in storytelling yeah, what got me was the Dallas heel turn, it was like they suddenly forgot how to book a heel owner, he just pestered the mid card and generally acted like he had no more influence than coach trip or the wee man, and Joe hendry the future of icw doesn't get near the title scene.. Who wrote this? 

The Jason Reed sectarian crap needs addressed and soon, I heard someone outside refer to him as a good staunch orange man...  OK that's not an official part of the gimmick but the rot needs to stop here. 

I know some of you wondered why I didn't take up the offer to interview dallas 1, don't do interviews, there's too many interview podcasts and stuff around 2, i wa dubious of his reasons for wanting to see me, a lifetime ban if I'm lucky.. Beat up by the boys if I'm not 3, the questions I wanna ask he won't answer

He briefly appeared on this thread a year so back as red lightning occasionally contributed to it and he'd obviously tipped him a wink that people were rumbling about the product. IMO he didn't come across particularly well at that juncture, being a bit stroppy about things, but then again it's his livelihood he was defending, albeit for me allientating some people who were paying good money for the product. I don't know the guy and have no idea what he's like at all, in terms of his presence on ICW shows at times it's all been a bit "where's poochie?" for me over the last few years with the utterly beyond abysmal ownership angle and the equally bad heel, then face turns. 

What made you think things would have been as dodgy as you're suggesting above? 

Edited by cb_diamond

19 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

He briefly appeared on this thread a year so back as red lightning occasionally contributed to it and he'd obviously tipped him a wink that people were rumbling about the product. IMO he didn't come across particularly well at that juncture, being a bit stroppy about things, but then again it's his livelihood he was defending, albeit for me allientating some people who were paying good money for the product. I don't know the guy and have no idea what he's like at all, in terms of his presence on ICW shows at times it's all been a bit "where's poochie?" for me over the last few years with the utterly beyond abysmal ownership angle and the equally bad hell, then face turns. 

Basicly he said it after having a go at me on twitter for the article where I talked about the venue capacities even saying I got the O2 academy capacity wrong.. I didn't...all my data came from the official sites and it was his general tone and while I understand he has a livelihood but surely knowing where your going wrong as much as what your doing right. Plus there's that wrestling brotherhood thing of "you've never been in wrestling so you can't speak badly" thing. I'm probably committing a cardinal sin in his and others back stages eyes

2 hours ago, Doctor Bedlam said:

Basicly he said it after having a go at me on twitter for the article where I talked about the venue capacities even saying I got the O2 academy capacity wrong.. I didn't...all my data came from the official sites and it was his general tone and while I understand he has a livelihood but surely knowing where your going wrong as much as what your doing right. Plus there's that wrestling brotherhood thing of "you've never been in wrestling so you can't speak badly" thing. I'm probably committing a cardinal sin in his and others back stages eyes

I remember back in the bad old days of the "unoffical" ICW fans facebook page (that was an abortion of a place) there was quite a few instances of wrestlers making comments about people not getting it as they had never been in the ring. I'm of the view that you can be as critical as you want if you're paying your money. Same as football. I couldn't play professional football, I couldn't wrestle a match but if I pay money I've worked for then I can hold any opinion I want, good, bad or indifferent on them.

Edited by cb_diamond

20 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I remember back in the bad old days of the "unoffical" ICW fans facebook page (that was an abortion of a place) there was quite a few instances of wrestlers making comments about people not getting it as they had never been in the ring. I'm of the view that you can be as critical as you want if you're paying your money. Same as football. I couldn't pay professional football, I couldn't wrestle a match but if I pay money I've worked for then I can hold any opinion I want, good, bad or indifferent on them.

I remember that fan page was a horrible place, the way I see it I'm not doing it to be mean, I'm not speaking horrible of them as people. But yes it doesn't matter how technically good a match is or how much went into it backstage, if it doesn't entertain it doesn't work

The one statement I hate is someone gets a world title shot and a fan will post why are they getting a shot over other (some cases more deserving) wrestlers and its the same stock answer you hear "they worked hard for years and deserve it" I'd bloody hope every wrestler works hard instead of phoning it in and is that to say other wrestlers don't deserve it? 

What gets me is there are 3 fans in particular who legit hate me and are obsessed with my identity after I said in a review they should have taken their umbrella hats they wore for toni storm during the actual match as it was blocking the view of people behind them. I do have personal issues with them but won't say here, private message for more. 

And I remember BT criticising me when I said at barramania 2 when the nak imploded and stevie was injured in the BT and Renfrew vs wolfy and stevie make they could used divers "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Logic.. BT said I had no clue what I was talking about.. Exactly a year later its Renfrew or BT feuding with stevie and there's a match the fight club before barramania, that the original 2 of the nak vs stevie and his old running mate davey boy but stevie is injured and stevie is on the mic and says about his replacement " the enemy of my enemy is my friend", divers walks out.. A whole year after such a booking would be relevant.. Yet I'm the one that knows nothing about wrestling, its stupid

49 minutes ago, Doctor Bedlam said:

What gets me is there are 3 fans in particular who legit hate me and are obsessed with my identity after I said in a review they should have taken their umbrella hats they wore for toni storm during the actual match as it was blocking the view of people behind them. I do have personal issues with them but won't say here, private message for more. 

Bit of a tragic paragraph bud. Who cares what a couple of cliquey neckbeards think of anything? Just spray them with a tin of lynx and they'll melt...

Oh that fucking Facebook page would cause you to lose hope in humanity puts you rite off going to events. I go to shows with the mrs so we don’t talk to folk much when we are there but it’s the same faces every show that you just know are going to be arseholes. We all know who they are as soon as you see them. The thing I see ICW being now sadly is jobs for the boys. Same faces, same pushes and same shite. I actually miss old school Chris Renfrew from the NAK days. He was a dick but in a good way and he done his job the only reason I didn’t like things was I felt he got pushed too often then thinking of the SECC and Grado’s win. When was the last time fans wanted someone to win like that. When was the last time you really felt invested in a fantastic moment.  Red Lightning winning the square go was the first time in ages I felt invested couldn’t wait to see where the story was going..............haven’t been back since. 

On 18/12/2019 at 15:29, Doctor Bedlam said:

On 18/12/2019 at 16:30, cb_diamond said:

He briefly appeared on this thread a year so back as red lightning occasionally contributed to it and he'd obviously tipped him a wink that people were rumbling about the product. IMO he didn't come across particularly well at that juncture, being a bit stroppy about things, but then again it's his livelihood he was defending, albeit for me allientating some people who were paying good money for the product. I don't know the guy and have no idea what he's like at all, in terms of his presence on ICW shows at times it's all been a bit "where's poochie?" for me over the last few years with the utterly beyond abysmal ownership angle and the equally bad heel, then face turns. 

Aye Dallas does get defensive whenever people call him out or give their opinion on his product - seen it happen on Twitter and at live shows. I suppose it must be frustrating when people spout shite about it but there's plenty of people with valid and well constructed opinions that even if you don't agree with should be seen as fair game. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Aye Dallas does get defensive whenever people call him out or give their opinion on his product - seen it happen on Twitter and at live shows. I suppose it must be frustrating when people spout shite about it but there's plenty of people with valid and well constructed opinions that even if you don't agree with should be seen as fair game. 

I agree, we do sometimes have a moan in here, but if you look back there's loads of positive comments on the product as well.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Well yeah, I mean yes I say some negative stuff, but I will say positive too and yeah if it's constructive, not personal and not blind hate then it does come across like he's oversensitive to criticism which to me doesn't bode well and it doesn't help that alot of reviewers seem unwilling to point out any issues (infact one of the newer reviewers even said she would never say anything bad that might "bring the wrestlers down") so because I'm one of the few who will any negatives are amplified.. I could write an amazing review say 90% was great but say a few things about one match or angle and that's all people focus on

Equally I'm sure he gets fed up of booking suggestions from fans and I do admit alot of the fantasy booking is so fantasy your waiting for a Gandalf run in, I remember a few shows ago one guy bizarrely aggressively texting a demand to dallas to book someone with the line of "he better book them" but I bet there are ideas which would genuinely work.. And work well

I just find that as said before something has went wrong with the storytelling.. Like remember the Renfrew and Kings of catch feud that was cut short that was literaly "your not over the way I got over and the only way you will is beating me" while yes that's what the feud is trying to achieve and was the framework of the feud.. That fact that that was exactly the storyline was just stupid, that and stuff like the midard mcmahon thing it comes across as half baked

I wonder if you took this years shugs and fear and loathing night 2s took out the filler matches and replaced them with the meaningful matches from the first night's. You'd have way better events

BTW here's a wee special bit of artwork I done for my next release

received_818714311899245.jpeg

OK, it's just been advertised and not even up yet and they are starting (BTW those are 2 of the 3 who seem obsessed with finding out who I am) I love the borderline threats "your on all our lists" who nominated them spokesmen for the fanbase

Sad part is apart from a Jason Reed rant.. Its mainly positive 

Screenshot_20191220_112819_com.facebook.katana.jpg

I won't lie it can be amusing especially when people are saying stuff about the reports.. Good and bad.. And I'm actually right there and they don't know (except for a few) but. I just don't get the more extreme hatred.. It suprised me but I suppose it shouldn't when you consider what the old unofficial Facebook page was like

Though.. One genuinely curious thing is while there are fans who have intense dislike.. There are people backstage (not dallas obviously) who are fans of the report