ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Warren Mears said:

Polo is fucking amazing, so why shouldn't he go over?

because...levels...

To be fair he is much bigger and is decent in the ring so it's kinda believable. As I said not as baffling/annoying as Echo and Cobb.

Edited by cb_diamond

KUSHIDA just shouldn't be going over anyone. He will. But he shouldn't. This fucking idiotic idea that because he's a great wrestler he should win, it needs to get in the fucking bin.

KUSHIDA winning helps fucking nobody. He should be in ICW for no other reason than to make someone else look good. Otherwise, just don't bother bringing him.

I'm normally on board with the vast, overwhelming majority of your wrestling opinions. But literally disagreeing with almost every word there. ICW were in a tough spot due to Jarrett. They've went down the route of  proper "wow" replacement, they've achieved that. They've then further cranked up the "wow" by selling Kushida on his mega list of achievements. No-one, even the most hardcore of ICW front row fans of the most casual of part timers can say JP is on the same level, he's just not. He'd gain waaaay more from a scrappy, competitive loss than by going over. If he goes over the people who shit in the ICW product will just go "here we go again". Once more, it's levels. The same way ricochet was a million levels above 2016 Lewis Girvan. People rolled their eyes and complained about that. The same way Jeff Cobb was a million levels above any year Aaron Echo and people complained. The idea that these local level guys are just fairly easily beating established worldwide stars to keep a few eeijits happy needs to get in the fucking bin!

Edited by cb_diamond

I wouldn't compare Polo to Echo and Girvan though. He's a former World Champion & multi time Tag Champion.

Getting a win, especially through nefarious means, over someone in for a single show seems perfectly acceptable to me. KUSHIDA could always get some heat back post match.

26 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I wouldn't compare Polo to Echo and Girvan though. He's a former World Champion & multi time Tag Champion.

Getting a win, especially through nefarious means, over someone in for a single show seems perfectly acceptable to me. KUSHIDA could always get some heat back post match.

I know what you mean in terms of shenanigans. That would on the surface make the most sense. Polo beating Jarrett would have been the culmination of a build. That would have made sense. This is different. KUSHIDA won't be back, let's be honest, he's likely a one and done. 

36 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I know what you mean in terms of shenanigans. That would on the surface make the most sense. Polo beating Jarrett would have been the culmination of a build. That would have made sense. This is different. KUSHIDA won't be back, let's be honest, he's likely a one and done. 

I don't really mind how it goes as long as it's a good match. A win or loss could work as well for Polo. With the loss being the motivation to drop the Just Justice schtick.

6 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Anyone got an inkling on who will face Wolfgang for the title?

John Cena! Wolfie will beat him in four minutes clean and DomDom will be standing in the front row with a stauner screaming "See!! That's how it should be done" 😂

In all seriousness it should be Mikey Whiplash, which means there's no way it will be Mikey Whiplash...

I'm looking forward to this weekend. First time I'm going to both nights of Shug's. It's a stacked card (if a little top heavy) but should be a good weekend. Think the card for tomorrow night is - 

P.O.D. v The Purge - This match feels totally thrown together with little rhyme or reason other than to get all the participants on the card. I like both teams though so it should be a decent enough match. 

Last Man Standing Match: Kez Evans v BT Gunn - I assume this will be the final grudge match of their feud (a feud I've enjoyed) and a last man standing match should be better than the bullrope match that was initially planned. Hope Kez gets the rub from this one. 

Aaron Echo & Kieran Kelly v The Kings of the North - Excited to see the KoN back in ICW. They had a good match at King of Hawners and I'm sure they'll produce the same again. Kieran Kelly is class and should be able to bump loads for them. Hope The Kings of the North win and become a mainstay in the tag division. 

Handicap Match: Kenny Williams & Iestyn Rees v More than Hype - I missed More than Hype at King of Hawners so I can't wait to see them here. I've only heard good things. Think they might be the ones to give Kenny his comeuppance and like The Kings of the North, I hope they become ICW regulars. 

Andy Wild v Mark Coffey - There's not much I enjoy more in wrestling than two big b*****ds slugging it out in a hoss battle. This match should more than deliver in that regard. Not sure how it will go, what with Coffey not appearing as regularly due to NXT UK commitments, but it would be nice to see something come of the Power Forward story at least, like an unmasking. 

Paul Robinson v Krieger - I've never seen Paul Robinson before, and TBH he's never been somebody that I've been interested to seek out, but I like Krieger and I'm curious to see how he'll fare out on his own. 

Joe Hendry v Leyton Buzzard - Bit of an odd stipulation for this one (and a classic ICW loser 'leaves' the promotion) but this is one of the matches I'm looking forward to most. I'm a huge fan of Joe as I've talked about before and hope he gets a title run sooner rather than later. Assume he's going to win this one which will lead to a further match at Fear & Loathing. 

The Kinky Party v Anti-Fun Police - Think this will be the end of The Kinky Party. They've got stale for me TBH. A Sha heel turn would be nice and I'm a fan of the Anti-Fun Police so them being around more often would be great. 

ICW Women's World Championship: Kasey v Aivil - Would have preferred this match to have been the triple threat that took place at the last show but it should still be a good match all the same. Feel like these two have been constantly feuding but it's nice to have some proper stakes this time. Would be nice for Kasey to have a long reign this time. As I've said many times before too I hope they make an effort to expand the women's division sometime soon. 

ICW Zero-G Championship: Joe Coffey v Liam Thomson - Think this one will be a cracker. Joe's not been around often but his matches have been great when he has been. Would expect Liam to pick up the belt though. 

Just Justice Jackie Polo v Kushida - Cannot fucking wait for this. I really wasn't into the Just Justice persona and story with Jeff Jarrett at all and the actual quality of the match will be much better now too. Kushida is class and I'm looking forward to seeing him live for the first time. 

On 22/07/2019 at 22:06, cb_diamond said:

I'm normally on board with the vast, overwhelming majority of your wrestling opinions. But literally disagreeing with almost every word there. ICW were in a tough spot due to Jarrett. They've went down the route of  proper "wow" replacement, they've achieved that. They've then further cranked up the "wow" by selling Kushida on his mega list of achievements. No-one, even the most hardcore of ICW front row fans of the most casual of part timers can say JP is on the same level, he's just not. He'd gain waaaay more from a scrappy, competitive loss than by going over. If he goes over the people who shit in the ICW product will just go "here we go again". Once more, it's levels. The same way ricochet was a million levels above 2016 Lewis Girvan. People rolled their eyes and complained about that. The same way Jeff Cobb was a million levels above any year Aaron Echo and people complained. The idea that these local level guys are just fairly easily beating established worldwide stars to keep a few eeijits happy needs to get in the fucking bin!

If I could ever pinpoint an exact moment when I knew I was done with ICW, it was that.

I once watched a guy kick absolute f**k of of a crash barrier in the Garage watching Mikey Whiplash going over Jack Jester in a last man standing match, screaming 'f**k this fucking shit, I'm fucking done' after spending 25 minutes screaming about how big a 'fucking weirdo faggot' Whiplash was and laughing  at him as he stormed out halfway through the show - amazingly with a girlfriend in tow of all things and was like 'imagine getting so heated up about a pre-booked show'.

After watching Lewis Girvan beat Ricochet though, I'd decided, aye....that's plenty. No anger on that level, not even close....but I was big enough fan of Ricochet/Puma at the time and had a healthy dislike of Girvan so aye... it was enough.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If I could ever pinpoint an exact moment when I knew I was done with ICW, it was that.

I once watched a guy kick absolute f**k of of a crash barrier in the Garage watching Mikey Whiplash going over Jack Jester in a last man standing match, screaming 'f**k this fucking shit, I'm fucking done' after spending 25 minutes screaming about how big a 'fucking weirdo faggot' Whiplash was and laughing  at him as he stormed out halfway through the show - amazingly with a girlfriend in tow of all things and was like 'imagine getting so heated up about a pre-booked show'.

After watching Lewis Girvan beat Ricochet though, I'd decided, aye....that's plenty. No anger on that level, not even close....but I was big enough fan of Ricochet/Puma at the time and had a healthy dislike of Girvan so aye... it was enough.

Before going to that F&L a few of us sat in the pub and tried to rationalise that match choice generally and no one could figure it out. My friend insisted that having made the match Girvan would go over. We laughed at him. Still fries my head to this day.