ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

I'm really not a fan of the two night thing for this or shugs. I get that two nights at a mid size venue brings in the revenue but there's a lot of folk (myself included) who can't justify giving up an entire weekend for the wrestling. I'd also never, ever buy a ticket for the first night if I could only get one, what would be the point? All major storyline stuff will be in night 2. I hope this isn't going to be the new norm but suspect it will be and that for me is going to push more people away from a product that many are already turning off to as it is. It's a shame as the shows are generally good.

Edited by cb_diamond

• 2 weeks later...

I said elsewhere that perspective is needed. ICW hit some insane heights. A downturn was inevitable. It's not a negative at all. They've still sustained a pretty big fanbase by UK standards. It's not like they're on some big decline.

They had lightning in a bottle with their roster in 2014/2015, the amount of talent there at the time will never be replicated. You were turning up and paying 15 quid to watch guys who were amongst the best wrestlers in the world in an environment that was great fun. The guys who were curtain jerking then are now the headliners.

To be fair I think whoever wrote that article clearly has a bit of an agenda. I agree about the Two day thing and to an extent about the roster, although I feel there are still a lot of very good performers there who give the majority of their time to it. As you said DomDom it was always going to have a downturn. The time around the SECC was an absolute peak for me. What's more of an issue than anything else was the new WWE British influence. That causes massive issue with talent, booking tge shows, changing dates etc etc

• 3 weeks later...

Viper v Toni Storm confirmed for SHP night 2. Doesn't make much sense from a storyline perspective after what happened at the Square Go but I'll take it! Anyone heading along to King of Hawners? Can't make it tonight but will be at night 2. 

Went along to night 2 of King of Hawners. Was a decent night, enjoyed the tournament matches especially. Kings of Catch v the Fite Network was a lot of fun too. I hope Kings of Catch have a long title reign but Fite Network definitely deserves a run with the belts at some point too. Felt a wee bit like fan service to have Bad Company v Wild Boys in the final, and it was an odd face v face dynamic, but they put on a good match and you can't say they didn't deserve it. Surprised Wild Boys didn't pick up the victory though. The Garage was absolutely dead btw. Easily the quietest it's been for an ICW show since I've started going. I was standing two rows from the front on the side nearest to the exit and there couldn't have been two full rows of people standing behind me. Even my row wasn't full too with plenty of standing room. 

Wasn't too sure about getting a 2-night ticket for Shug's but they've made some great match announcements either at or since King of Hawners. I've not done both nights before but tempted to this year. Get to see the Kings of the North and More than Hype again, Andy Wild v Mark Coffey, Joe Coffey v Liam Thomson for the Zero-G, Joe Hendry v Leyton Buzzard, Viper v Toni Storm for NXT UK Women's Championship and Kinky Party v Anti-Fun Police (presumably the end of the Kinky Party and a heel turn for one of them). I'm particularly looking forward to Wolfgang v Lionheart and hope Wolfie wins because Lionheart's title reign has been boring as f**k. Wee bit annoyed that Kez Evans v BT Gunn has been switched to the next Fight Club though. I was surprised too that the women's title match was made for Fight Club rather than Shug's unless there's going to be more shenanigans involved. 

I haven't made it to a Fight Club in a while but with the women's title match and Rickey Shane Page I'll probably head along to that. 

On 05/05/2019 at 13:31, cb_diamond said:

On 05/05/2019 at 15:04, Principal Flutie said:

I said elsewhere that perspective is needed. ICW hit some insane heights. A downturn was inevitable. It's not a negative at all. They've still sustained a pretty big fanbase by UK standards. It's not like they're on some big decline.

I thought the first few articles Dr Bedlam wrote were very good. I maybe didn't agree with everything he said but he was spot on with a lot of things like the booking downturn and lack of storytelling, nonuse of women and local talent, the decline of the Zero-G Championship and the inability of ICW to book good babyface champions. His last couple of articles have been a bit rambly though. Mostly going on about venue sizes, knocking the concept of King of Hawners, complaining about the names of events or complaining about two-day events (which is a fair comment but not really why ICW would be on a 'decline'). I think he said he's going to do some more analysis in his next article so that should be good hopefully. Interesting that he declined an interview with Dallas although Dallas can get defensive about his product and booking decisions so I can understand it in a way. Always makes for an interesting read at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was at at a wee indy show in Inverness a few months back and Leyton Buzzard came into the bogs to spray all that water over his hair and body that wrestlers do.  He did't look impressed with the weird looks I was giving him (I had no idea who he was at that point).

I grew up with Lionheart main-eventing near enough every show I went to, and I still remember how buzzing me and my pals were when TNA got him involved in 2011. Getting to see him on the big stage is still something I look back on and smile about. Great memories.