ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

6 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Not going till tonight what did I miss so far?

I wasn't that into the first two matches (the handicap match and the Women's Title match) but thought the card really picked up from there. I was gutted Joe Hendry lost but his post-match promo seemed genuine so I wonder if he's away to NXT UK or somewhere else? Looking forward to tonight. 

Not sure if you've grasped this yet, but it's a work. And yes, Whippy beating Cena in three seconds flat is better than the alternative. 

Outsiders shouldn't win. They should be there to do the job. Nothing else. Their job is to make the ICW guys look good. Honestly can't believe people aren't getting it.

Wrestling...is...fake...?? I for one am stunned! Stunned I tell ya!

Yeah we get what you're trying to say, no I don't think your train thought is right on this one or else what's the point of any imports if they are guaranteed to lose. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's pre being semi decent Lewis Girvan going over absolute peak ricochet.

That's real ICW mentality. Any dissenting opinions should not be tolerated stuff.

Watched Night One....

* The Zero G title match was amazing. I'll get to the weird booking that plagued the first half of the show in a minute, but they really made it work in their favour in this one. Rather than the "for the sake of it" type stuff we've seen, this played to the strengths of both guys. Especially Liam Thomson, who is a deserving champ. Been one of the very best in the country for such a long time.

* Leyton Buzzard vs. Joe Hendry was probably the best Joe Hendry match I've seen. I'm seriously high on Leyton Buzzard. He continually impresses me, and the fans are way behind him. Would love to see a rivalry between him and Liam for the Zero G title.

* Speaking of rivalries I want to see, Kid Fite and Paul Robinson are pretty much a direct fit with each other so that should be great fun. A good showing from Kreiger against Robinson, who has a tremendous hard man aura about him, which is some going for a guy that wee.

* Cutting matches off at the knees. What's this about? I can understand them doing it with Andy Wild and Mark Coffey as it seems like there's more to come there, but still came out feeling short changed from it. Kasey vs. Aivil as well, which was building up as a total war, and the ending was just a total waste of where the match seemed to be going. Especially on a big show, I don't like seeing shit like that.

* The tag team division in ICW is pretty good. You had The Purge and P.O.D. putting on another cracker, and there's Rees/Williams, Kings of the North, More Than Hype, Kings of Catch etc. There's so many good combinations on that division.

* Jackie Polo vs. KUSHIDA was a tremendous main event. It's the aggression of Polo that makes him work. The post match promo... if he really is offski for a while, he'll be a massive loss in the time that he's gone. Then again, with Hendry and Polo gone in the meantime, we did get a big ICW name back on night two, which does help. And additions like Paul Robinson and the Kings of the North are going to be quite helpful.

18 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Wrestling...is...fake...?? I for one am stunned! Stunned I tell ya!

Yeah we get what you're trying to say, no I don't think your train thought is right on this one or else what's the point of any imports if they are guaranteed to lose. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's pre being semi decent Lewis Girvan going over absolute peak ricochet.

That's real ICW mentality. Any dissenting opinions should not be tolerated stuff.

The Ricochet one has a point btw. He was coming back for a title shot so should have won realistically to earn it.

But for one shot guys, why should they do any thing other than put the home guy over? What purpose does anything else serve? I get the annoyance with Cobb and Echo because Echo is a boring charisma vacuum but the same point stands.

And yes. Don't bring in the imports AT ALL if they're not willing to put the other guy over. Which KUSHIDA did in victory, so hopefully ICW find a way of doing that in the future.

Voices of Wrestling reporting that NXT UK will soon stop allowing their signed wrestlers to appear on broadcasted shows for other promotions, only dark matches. 

Been coming, but still a shit thing to hear.

Really enjoyed both nights of Shug's. Some of the best live wrestling I've seen in a while and, combined, certainly the best ICW show I've been to in a long time. 

Both main events were superb (as expected). Seeing Kushida live was sheer class. The pop Stevie Boy got was something special and I'm excited to have him back. He's a big name talent who consistently delivers in the ring. Speaking of which I'm sad to see Joe Hendry and Jackie Polo go. As said above it seems like Jackie is going to be away for a while. I hope if/when he comes back he's feeling refreshed and motivated because he's one of the biggest talents they have. 

The Zero-G title match was also excellent. The way Coffey and Thomson constructed the match was perfect. I'm delighted for Liam Thomson too and it's a well deserved and long overdue singles title win for him. A feud between him and Leyton or Kieran Kelly would be class. 

Like WM, I'm really high on Leyton Buzzard too at the moment. He's got a ton of momentum, he's popular and he's consistently excellent in the ring and on the mic. His match with Joe Hendry was great and he had a decent showing against James Storm the following night too. Thought the story of the match against Hendry was told really well and Joe done a good job putting Leyton over afterwards too. I think the next year in ICW is going to be a big one for Leyton. 

The Purge and P.o.D. had maybe the low key match of the weekend for me. The Purge have really grown on me since King of Hawners. Not that I didn't think they were decent before then but they've really pulled a couple of crackers out the bag since then. As others have mentioned the ICW tag division is looking particularly strong at the moment. Kings of Catch are tremendous and I've enjoyed the nine9. Kenny Williams and Iestyn Rees could be fun. And Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm can always be called upon to have a decent match. I really hope we see More than Hype and The Kings of the North frequently in ICW too. I saw that Corvin got injured last weekend though so here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery. 

I enjoyed Night 2 as well. I didn't really notice a lot of the mistakes and misfires TBH but maybe that was on account of watching it live and in person rather than online. BT Gunn v Kez Evans was great. I was surprised at the result though as Kez getting the decisive win could have gone a long way to making him a future star. Was surprised at The Kinky Party winning too. They've gone totally stale for me now, it's the same shtick every time, and Anti-fun Police could have been another fun addition to the stacked tag division. Kinky Party are still clearly hugely popular with the majority of the audience though.  

NXT UK Women's Title match was great too I thought. Only downside of it was that the result was obvious. 

Tag title TLC match was messy but had some nice drama and the right team won. 

Bored of the Andy Wild and Mark Coffey stuff now but they can both be called upon to have a good match at least. Andy Wild v Power Forward at the next Fight Club taping might at least take it some where. 

The women's title match finish was bullshit. The women's division constantly suffers from poor booking and this was another example. That's no way to treat one of your biggest titles on one of your biggest shows and I'd rather the match just wasn't booked at all if that's the way you're going to go. 

Think ICW are a bit more prepared for so many losses than some, but they're still losing a LOT of guys who are going to be extremely hard to replace. Especially with probably losing Kenny, The Coffeys, Wolfgang and more to WWE UK as well.

• 2 weeks later...