ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

Not to be a w****r or a c**t despite what the facebook page would say I have a few genuine points and questions about last nights proceedings and how it went. Also for fans I can't help but feel its all a bit of de ja vu. Tell me what you think.

Last year at the SECC it was a first event for many and in my opinion most would have walked away feeling great and will have thoroughly enjoyed their night. 

One of the first surprises last year was the women's title match. The match was just about to start and out comes Foley to say "someone isn't in this match and it doesnt sit right with him" out pops Viper he adds her in the match she goes on to win the title. Last night the Zero G match is about to start "up pops Foley he say "someone isnt in the match and it doesn't sit right with him" he adds in Williams who goes on to win the title. 

The cage match was one of the most anticipated matches last year between the NAK and Legion. It was a great match rite up until BT Gunn got back in the ring and Whiplash ranted a lot of pish. The big spot in that match was BT Gunn and Whiplash going through the table from the cage. Again fast forward to last night and as soon as Trent set up the tables we all knew what was on the cards lets be honest. 

Last year we see Red lightning flat on his back, Mick Foley helping the good guys and Grado pinning Galloway. Last night Lightning is laid out, Ballor comes out similar to Foley did, helps the good guys and Galloway eats the pin. 

I know a lot of the time the "Imported" wrestler can win but last year it was Rhyno for Coffey this year it was Angle. Again it wasn't ever going to go any other way. 

I just felt I was watching far too many similar scenarios play out.  

I'd say it looked like there were 3 really good matches, and one which I definitely loved which was Lewis Girvan vs. Ricochet, but the atmosphere was so flat for so much that it was hard to get into anything. The ending of the 8 man pissed me off because Renfrew's hand clearly hit the mat three times from the Border City Stretch but they just ignored it. The cage match was just bad full stop and far and away the worst match Trent Seven or Wolfgang has had in ICW. Liked the finish though.

I'll watch it again to see how it comes across on a rewatch. I DID enjoy the show and loved how it felt like a massive show. But as said, for too many people, nothing stood out. Personally I thought the casket match and Girvan/Ricochet stood out, but that seems to be a minority opinion which is the important thing with them announcing the Hydro again. The question they need to ask is how many people will be happy to spend that money a second time for that product?

3 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

The question they need to ask is how many people will be happy to spend that money a second time for that product?

This is the loaded question. Especially as it's going to be closer to £40 next year which is simply ridiculous. I know there were 6 of us there last night who have been going long term and all of us pretty much agreed that we've lost the appetite for it now and last night would probably be our final show.

As a wrestling fan who's not that familiar with ICW, I was fairly underwhelmed tbh.

There were some decent matches, but nothing that really stood out as a "Wow" in what was meant to be the biggest show of the year, and as Mr Giles says, the cage match was fucking awful. Some pretty obvious botches as well, and a few of the finishes just seemed a bit meh.

After last year's Fear and Loathing, if you asked me if I would watch ICW again, the answer would have been yes every time. After last night's show, it would be maybe, verging on no. That will no doubt keep the "hardcore" fans happy, since they obviously don't like outsiders watching their show!

I haven't been able to get to as many ICW shows as I did a few years ago (I think in 2013 I did every single show). Sunday was only my second one this year. Are the prices going up across the board or just for F&L.

The thing I always held dearly about ICW was that it was the best value for money you could find anywhere. I would always rather pay £10-15 for that than go to the puctures etc.

If they are now capitalising on their popularity by upping the prices, but delivering a poorer product I could see why folks are getting a bit frustrated.

21 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

The ending of the 8 man pissed me off because Renfrew's hand clearly hit the mat three times from the Border City Stretch but they just ignored it. 

Aye that pissed me off too apparently renfrew was saying in the catty he was legit out and thats why that happened.....:rolleyes:

So the Black Label got screwed? Travesty.

It's worth noting that moments later Renfrew was lying in the ring shaking his head is if he was fucked off at himself. He also didn't hang about for the post match celebrations. He went straight through the curtain. To me at the time it came across as he lost count, fucked it and he knew he had.

Different perspectives I suppose.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 hour ago, diamond_for_life said:

Last year we see Red lightning flat on his back, Mick Foley helping the good guys and Grado pinning Galloway. Last night Lightning is laid out, Ballor comes out similar to Foley did, helps the good guys and Galloway eats the pin. 

Thats one of the main things pissing me off. Repetitive af. Why no have grado turn or something imagine the reaction that coulda got....