Thatcher deid

"The Tories" didn't "do" anything. An old lady suffered a stroke (something a lot of people die from) and passed away.

I had hoped her passing would make people stop obsessively defining themselves by their support of or opposition to her politics. I've said here and in several other places that it's time our politics stopped critiquing her and her politics and her legacy and started to chart our own path. Not making independence about opposition to Thatcherism and instead just about making our own decisions to build a better society in the future would be a fine start.

A good start to building a better society would be to learn the lessons of 'thatchers britian' and hopefully never returning to it.

A good start to building a better society would be to learn the lessons of 'thatchers britian' and hopefully never returning to it.

We've spent more than enough time navel gazing at Thatcher's Britain. How else do you explain 13 years of New Labour?

We've spent more than enough time navel gazing at Thatcher's Britain. How else do you explain 13 years of New Labour?

13 years of failure to be sure

Failure to prevent the 'looking after the rich' tories and their lipspittle lib dem sellouts gaining power... <_<

I had the misfortune to suffer from her policies. I would argue that we are all still suffering from them. Her deregulation of the financial sector in this country led to a lack of accountability which then led to unfettered greed and mismanagement on an epic scale which was the genesis of the current financial crisis IMO. My abiding memory of the character of her policies and their implementation was the malevolence associated with the politics. I don't remember a time before or after her reign where this was the case. I'm not generally one for celebrating a death. However in her case I'm making an exception. A wee night cap of the Balvennie for me and a toast to a Thatcher free world. :)

Some of the uneducated morons on here discuss me.

An old lady has died and you celebrate? Get a fucking grip. Show some respect.

To be honest i don't think anyone has even mentioned you. As for Thatcher,she didn't show too much respect for the poorly paid or indeed any of the working class throughout Britain,so she's earned what ever people feel towards her.

I don't really have an opinion either way, but can someone in the know confirm that the mines and the steelworks were haemorrhaging in the region of £1m a day and that's why they were closed?

They were losing lots of money yes and being heavily subsidised by the govt.

In fairness most people realise that that the coal and steel industries were not viable and that is why they closed, the problem was the way it was done, there was no exit plan or any support given to the communities that suffered as a result, pretty much close the pits/steelworks and then f**k you get on with it, many of these towns and villages have never recovered as a result . That is the legacy that Thatcher left over the north of Britain.

Quite embarrassing from our premier newspaper.

We appear to lack class.

Whats embarassing about that? :blink:

It states that she was deeply unpopular in Scotland but acknowledges her long term in office and significant political impact, like or loathe her?

Do explain how that is embarrasing

. A wee night cap of the Balvennie for me and a toast to a Thatcher free world. :)

Let us not forget that if we had a 'Thatcher free world' in the 80s, chances are, we'd all have been nuked. Ronald Reagan, for all his cuddly, doddery persona was a dangerous figurehead of the USA. Can you imagine Cameron trying to stand up to him and the Ruskies during the Cold War? *shudder*.

Nuclear war was a very real prospect at the time, it's staggering how many people simply forget this.

I have no feeling towards her death, I was 5 when she left number 10 and I have chosen never to research why do many people loathed her (due to the fact I have no interest in politics both at home or abroad). I find the feelings about her from both sides both compelling and amusing, some of the reactions yesterday were hilarious, there were folk on the verge of tears, and folk throwing street parties. Has there ever been a politician that has divided opinion so much as her?

I have no feeling towards her death, I was 5 when she left number 10 and I have chosen never to research why do many people loathed her (due to the fact I have no interest in politics both at home or abroad). I find the feelings about her from both sides both compelling and amusing, some of the reactions yesterday were hilarious, there were folk on the verge of tears, and folk throwing street parties. Has there ever been a politician that has divided opinion so much as her?

its strikes me as pretty remarkable that someone that arouses such strong feelings in others and has utterly shaped the society you live in for your entire life doesnt rouse even a basic twinge of curiousity in people to find out more. not personal to you but a few people have expressed this.

i was also 5 when she left office but will never forgive or forget what her administration did to working class communities up and down the uk.if there is one saving grace it is that she had the good grace to go as my death pool captain.