Thatcher deid

I find it disturbing people are happy that someone has died, morbid c***s.

Stop with the faux grief you clueless, knuckle-dragging, anti-Semitic, bigoted f**k.

I hope you're greeting into your union jack bed covers tonight. 8)

I can see where people are coming from here. I was born in 1989, so my recollection of politics only really begins in 1997 with Labour coming to power. In terms of industry, the only one I really knew of locally was the Alcan in Burntisland which closed in the early 00s. However, looking back it is still easy to pick flaws with Thatcher, be it with the Hillsborough disaster or arguably calling Mandela a terrorist (admitedly, I know little on the situation). I did my dissertation on deindustrialisation in my home town and the majority of people were happy, as expected, to share their thoughts. While people do mourn for the loss of our industry, it is safe to say that the wheel was already turning.

As I've said above, it's not that the industries could continue as they had been doing, and plenty of stubborn and stupid men contributed to the issue. Nevertheless, there was a broad spectrum of possibly futures between non profitable, union dominated industries and the overnight destruction of the whole thing. Industires could have kept on going, even in limited forms - some parts were still profitable. A joined up industrial strategy aimed at trying to replace industires as they reached the end of their useful life would've been useful, instead she was the architect of whole communties having the life torn out of them, making it harder for them in the long run to attract new investment.

Pretty sure he was/is an unrepentant terrorist.

Huh. Even from a quick search around the internet there's a lot to suggest that is the case. Obviously he was fighting against a racist regime in South Africa at the time but there quite a few allegations about his groups murdering innocent white farmers too. Then there's all the stuff about Winnie Mandela as well. Always wondered if Mandela was too good to be true, but ultimately I never completely questioned the media's portrayal of him as a completely benevolent figure. I don't know why it didn't properly occur to me to check him out especially after I started reading about Mother Teresa a couple of years ago and some of the sh*t about her that gets glossed over by the media.

Ah well, I have to re-evaluate my opinion of Thatcher ever so slightly more in her favour.

Whether you agreed or disagreed with her politics, there's no question that Thatcher presided over one of the most difficult periods of British peacetime history. Structural economic chaos of the '70s, the death of the post-war consensus beginning, let's remember, *before* she took office, when Callaghan committed Labour to monetary controls, and increased global pressures: the plight of the most vulnerable cannot be said to be said to be solely of her making, independently of these conditions.

If the UK was to avoid terminal national decline, that old system needed wiped out. It took its causalties, and no government is perfect. Many things could and should have been done differently. That much is true. But you need only look at the modern world and to see that even the likes of China explicitly acknowledge the huge creative and innovative benefits of participating in a market in which you are competitive. Such a system, of a property owning democracy, can and does empower those across the spectrum to pass on a better legacy than they received, even if it has its blind spots.

Andrew Marr said a few years ago that we were, like it or not, rebel or not, the children of Margaret Thatcher. He was right. But we're not children any more. All of the children of Margaret Thatcher are now adults. Let's stop being the rebellious teenagers and use her passing as an opportunity to take responsibility for our own path in politics. We don't have to define ourselves as for or against her to take the right decisions for the 21st century. We live in a time where it is not just the UK that is in decline, but the traditional global dominance of Europe itself. We have to take control of our own political future and we do that best not by looking back, but by looking forward to the potential of a better tomorrow.

Huh. Even from a quick search around the internet there's a lot to suggest that is the case. Obviously he was fighting against a racist regime in South Africa at the time but there quite a few allegations about his groups murdering innocent white farmers too. Then there's all the stuff about Winnie Mandela as well. Always wondered if Mandela was too good to be true, but ultimately I never completely questioned the media's portrayal of him as a completely benevolent figure. I don't know why it didn't properly occur to me to check him out especially after I started reading about Mother Teresa a couple of years ago and some of the sh*t about her that gets glossed over by the media.

Ah well, I have to re-evaluate my opinion of Thatcher ever so slightly more in her favour.

Mandela has benefited from excellent PR. He won't be the first nor the last to use positive spin to cover a multitude of sins.

Sorry guys & gals, bit behind the news over here. Just seen the 9pm news and the mention Maggie is dead.

The report went on to say, within a little tribute, "Margaret Thatcher, during her reign as Prime Minister, devastated the country of Scotland, this now look like the people of that nation will vote for Independence in the year 2014"

The world is looking ;) .

I'm celebrating because I seen a good chunk of my family, tradesmen, chucked out of work. I'm celebrating because many people within my family were left with f**k all.

Take your righteous shite elsewhere, because I simply don't give a shit.

This. Totally.

Spot on. There's more to this than a bunch of teenagers chirping someone's name and celebrating. The name Thatcher means no more to these kids than the name Mussolini or Hitler, it's just a bogeyman they've heard of from their parents.

Last time I checked Mussolini or Hitler didn't systematically de-industrialise my home town, providing absolutely hee-haw in the way of economic investment or social care to deal with the problems associated with unemployment, urban flight and drug addiction. In short, you're talking shite.

Absolutely gutted for you though.