Thatcher deid

I've lost count of the number of youngsters on various sites hitting out with the "So if I wasn't born then I guess I can't oppose her, should I not oppose Hitler either?" line. It doesn't matter how many of you say it, it doesn't make it any more legitimate.

Hmmmmm, I see your point, but I'll take this one and play devils advocate:

I hate Marmite.

I've no idea who invented Marmite, but as it was devised around 1902, I'll make an educated guess and assume the creator was 'before my time'. As far as I'm concerned, the taste of Marmite disgusts me, and I therefore hold the originator in contempt. Infact, if Marmite were to disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, I'd maybe even consider tweeting about it, or pass comment about it among friends.

Marmite-the-yeast-extract-006.jpg

To conclude; Marmite is fucking horrific and should be outlawed.

Absolutely, I completely agree. But the point I'm making is that some folk are "celebrating" when they're not really sure why. There's a lot more to it than "Thatcher bad". Her death is merely the tip of the iceberg where the legacy of years of Tory governments are concerned.

I'm celebrating because I seen a good chunk of my family, tradesmen, chucked out of work. I'm celebrating because many people within my family were left with f**k all.

Take your righteous shite elsewhere, because I simply don't give a shit.

I was born in 1984, so technically I'm too young to give a crap - except that you can't help but be affected by her policies. It didn't jsut stop when she elft office: The neo-liberal fantasies she put in place are still with us. The de-industrialsed regions and broken communties, the centralising of all growth on the city of London and the squandering of the north sea reserves to cover that growth. All these things occured on her watch, and were enabled by later governments. She helped define a social and economic epoch that we are still living through.

I agree with all that. I deeply dislike her and her policies.

Celebrating her death though? That's pathetic.

To me what she did to heavy industry was not what bothered me most. It was her policies which caused the gulf between rich and poor. Bobby Murdoch summons it up nicely.

The woman who massively widened the already obscene gap between the rich and the poor, as her supporters in big business, the newly privatised utilities, and the arms and defence industries made billions. The rich got richer, the poor got poorer, and the word 'underclass' entered the public vocabulary for the first time. For millions of people, Thatcherism represented nothing more than crippling unemployment, homelessness, poverty, crime, drug abuse and hopelessness. For the elite Thatcherism represented an opportunity for the rich to get even richer by asset-stripping the country, as the orgy of greed that was Deregulation, was spun to look like something that the nation should be proud of, rather than the obscene, carpet-bagging, feeding frenzy that it actually was.

She encouraged greed; get rich quick;short termism and a winner takes all society. It was inevitbale we were going to end up where we are today. The media and general population always try to blame it on foreigners during bad times when really its the really unhealthy gap between rich and poor.

Clearly everyone elses' solutions were failing. These men, who inaction also greatly harmed the country, are exonerated whereas someone who did something and actually stimulated economic growth, is blamed entirely.

Some people might have lost their job, it's ridiculous - and idiotic - to blame this all on Margaret Thatcher.

Here's one of her chief economic advisers, Alan Budd. He has an interesting take on the times. Let's not forget that in the first two years of Thatcher's reign Scotland lost a fifth of it's workforce to the dole queue.

I'm celebrating because I seen a good chunk of my family, tradesmen, chucked out of work. I'm celebrating because many people within my family were left with f**k all.

Take your righteous shite elsewhere, because I simply don't give a shit.

That's fine, but let's not pretend we're talking about the same thing. You're "happy" because some family members of yours lost their jobs quite a long time ago and the PM who was in charge when that happened just died.

I'm not too fussed about her death really, but I am quite chuffed that another of the old guard of rampant right-wing, rich-centric, self-serving, upper class Tory minority are no longer around and I'd hope that we'll never see the like again. Cameron and his ilk may be their descendents and trace their roots back that way, but we're still in a much better position now than we were. But there's still a long way to go.

Why did you put happy in the quote marks? I'm happy. Full stop. Happy. Smiles and shit.

Stop trying to paint her as some innocent passer by who just happened to see it happen. She caused pretty much all of it.

Margaret Thatcher: Listen Reagan, we are going into the Falklands to protect our interests and those of the people of the Falklands. If you don't like it, shut the f**k up.

Tony Bliar; Yes George, No George, three bags full George. Never mind our interests, we'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you in the pursuit of your interests.

I know who I prefer.

Hmmmmm, I see your point, but I'll take this one and play devils advocate:

I hate Marmite.

I've no idea who invented Marmite, but as it was devised around 1902, I'll make an educated guess and assume the creator was 'before my time'. As far as I'm concerned, the taste of Marmite disgusts me, and I therefore hold the originator in contempt. Infact, if Marmite were to disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, I'd maybe even consider tweeting about it, or pass comment about it among friends.

Marmite-the-yeast-extract-006.jpg

To conclude; Marmite is fucking horrific and should be outlawed.

A fair point.

Why did you put happy in the quote marks? I'm happy. Full stop. Happy. Smiles and shit.

Stop trying to paint her as some innocent passer by who just happened to see it happen. She caused pretty much all of it.

I put happy in quotes as I didn't want to guess what you were feeling. I'm not trying to paint her as innocent in the least. Read my posts, I haven't done anything of the sort.

I was born in 1984, so technically I'm too young to give a crap - except that you can't help but be affected by her policies. It didn't jsut stop when she elft office: The neo-liberal fantasies she put in place are still with us. The de-industrialsed regions and broken communties, the centralising of all growth on the city of London and the squandering of the north sea reserves to cover that growth. All these things occured on her watch, and were enabled by later governments. She helped define a social and economic epoch that we are still living through.

I can see where people are coming from here. I was born in 1989, so my recollection of politics only really begins in 1997 with Labour coming to power. In terms of industry, the only one I really knew of locally was the Alcan in Burntisland which closed in the early 00s. However, looking back it is still easy to pick flaws with Thatcher, be it with the Hillsborough disaster or arguably calling Mandela a terrorist (admitedly, I know little on the situation). I did my dissertation on deindustrialisation in my home town and the majority of people were happy, as expected, to share their thoughts. While people do mourn for the loss of our industry, it is safe to say that the wheel was already turning.

Clearly everyone elses' solutions were failing. These men, who inaction also greatly harmed the country, are exonerated whereas someone who did something and actually stimulated economic growth, is blamed entirely.

Some people might have lost their job, it's ridiculous - and idiotic - to blame this all on Margaret Thatcher.

Yep.

The degree to which anything she 'did' helped to stimulate growth is debateable. The full scale extraction of north sea oil ramped up at about the same time as she began the deindustrialisation of the country. I'd argue that the one covered the other, in which case you could argue that wihtout the ramp up in the north sea, her government would have struggled to put any growth on the economy. In which case all she managed to do was giad the Unions into do or die gambles which they inevitably lost. Whole swathes of industry that could potentially have had futures, even limited ones were gone, and the sudden loss of industries wrekced the communtiies they were based in. That's not good policy, not good economically and not good morally.