Just reading in today's Southern, that there is now a 4-year plan to install 3G pitches in Kelso (at the new high school?), Jedburgh and Peebles. There is also a 2G one going in at Selkirk. I am assuming that the reason Hawick's not in this plan is due to existing plans to upgrade Volunteer Park/Wilton park - however it worries me that a town with a huge footballing (and rugby, of course) playing population could end up being one of the few in the Borders without a 3G pitch - hardly encouraging for local youngsters. Anyone got any reassuring info?

Well, more 3G are good news. Scottish Borders has clearly been lagging behind... there will be half-a-dozen 3Gs in Dumfries & Galloway pretty soon.

That said, the locations are puzzling, unless independent projects are expected come about and cater for football (e.g. Volunteer Park)?

Council commissioned an independent report by Kit Campbell Associates in 2009, adopting it 2010.

http://www.sportborders.org.uk/uploads/Borders%20Sports%20Facility.pdf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-11417371

It says the 'order-of-preference' for 3G ('ATP') pitches was:

[1] Galashiels (Netherdale)... operational since 2012

[2] Peebles (High School)

[3] Hawick (Volunteer Park)

[4] Duns (Old High School)

[5] Kelso (Woodside Park)

[6] Selkirk (High School)

[7] Jedburgh (Elliott Park)

For whatever reason Hawick + Duns have been omitted while the last 3 are included.

http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/news/article/431/major_sports_pitch_investment

Thanks HJ, was sure I was right that we were originally on the list. All I can hope is that the Volunteer park upgrade is mainly going to be funded via the Bill McLaren Memorial fund, so will be under another expenditure heading. The Duns one, maybe it's because Duns FC are responsible for the new pitch?

No idea.

Certainly, it'd be pretty poor if there ended-up 3Gs in each of Jedburgh, Hawick, Kelso, Selkirk and Gala but none in all of Berwickshire.

Eyemouth will have it please

No idea.

Certainly, it'd be pretty poor if there ended-up 3Gs in each of Jedburgh, Hawick, Kelso, Selkirk and Gala but none in all of Berwickshire.

In big towns, districts in cities, or rural areas where one central pitch serves various communities, there are surely enough sports clubs to make good use of them? Generally they seem to divide into 1/2s or 1/3s for training through the week, often 3 sessions each evening. Then matches on Friday night and all Saturday and Sunday. Tbf, daytime use on weekdays is probably fairly minimal, other than by schools or professional sports teams.

Most Border towns have 1 Senior and 1/2 Amateur football teams, several adult rugby teams and a variety of youth football and rugby teams... plus you'll get teams from neighbouring villages. If most of a town's sport teams train at their 3G (also surrounding villages), and many play their games there, that's a decent amount of use? Rentals for 3Gs may be "higher" to cover operating costs, but then again, the standard of facility is "better".

Replacing the surface is interesting though. Some facilities seem to have varying methods (endowments; build-up fund from rents; rely on future grants).

No idea.

a cynical thought:

Jedburgh- Jedforest RFC

Hawick: Hawick RFC

Kelso: Kelso RFC

Selkirk: Selkirk RFC

all those egg chasing clubs have reasonably good rugby playing histories whereas I can't think of Berwickshire having a "big" rugby club. Let's face it, contrary to the more enlightened rest of Scotland which sport dominates in the Borders over the wonderful game of football....?

I thought that egg-ball is played on a longer "grass" so 3g football pitches do not measure up to it? I know the All Blacks used our pitch for training, so it could still be used in that capacity.

Grim

I thought that egg-ball is played on a longer "grass" so 3g football pitches do not measure up to it? I know the All Blacks used our pitch for training, so it could still be used in that capacity.

Grim

Netherdale is usable for both football and rugby.

Got a slightly longer blade of grass and a shockpad underneath.

Plans also mooted for an indoor 3G pitch in Selkirk - next to the swimming pool. Early stages but consultation began last week.

Presumably not full-size?

Just reading in today's Southern, that there is now a 4-year plan to install 3G pitches in Kelso (at the new high school?), Jedburgh and Peebles. There is also a 2G one going in at Selkirk. I am assuming that the reason Hawick's not in this plan is due to existing plans to upgrade Volunteer Park/Wilton park - however it worries me that a town with a huge footballing (and rugby, of course) playing population could end up being one of the few in the Borders without a 3G pitch - hardly encouraging for local youngsters. Anyone got any reassuring info?

What's the life span of these 3G pitches, are you talking 10 years plus?

• 2 years later...

Bump... Only another 2.5 years have passed but proposals are creeping ahead to provide more 3G pitches in the Borders with Netherdale still the only one currently available.

SB Council budget forecasts for 2015-2020 now anticipate additional 3G pitches in Hawick and Peebles, which are being taken forward just now, and later Jedburgh. It seem the eastern Borders are to be neglected, with Duns and Kelso dropping off the list... Selkirk will receive a 2G.

http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/info/695/council_information_performance_and_statistics/1210/budget_2015-20/3

http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/news/article/1345/step_forward_for_peebles_and_hawick_3g_pitch_projects

Hawick's is to go on Volunteer Park, Hawick Linden RFC - Peebles's is to go on Victoria Park, a public park, though local opposition is being mounted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-34504091

http://www.peeblesshirenews.com/news/13653640.Residents_angry_over_plans_for_3G_sports_pitch/

Personally that doesn't bother me... apparently it's being part-funded or at least supported by the Bill McLaren Foundation, plus Netherdale was put on the football stadium in Gala. Assuming it's going on the main pitch at Volunteer Park it has a decent grandstand, too.

Volunteer.jpg

Personally that doesn't bother me... apparently it's being part-funded or at least supported by the Bill McLaren Foundation, plus Netherdale was put on the football stadium in Gala. Assuming it's going on the main pitch at Volunteer Park it has a decent grandstand, too.

Volunteer.jpg

i'm willing to bet you a Toffee Crisp from the City pie stall you won't see football goals at that ground anytime soon....!

Archived