The Simpsons best bits

deadasdillinger

One of the finest 2 minutes ever televised. Homer punching the baby dolphin destroys me every time.

That episode has Clancy Wiggum at his absolute best as well. The line “Bottlenose bruises. Blowhole burns. Flipper prints. This looks like the work of rowdy teens. Lou, cancel the prom.” is one of my favourite in Simpsons history.

Allow me a wee Segway for Simpsons fans. I have been re-watching The Critic, the spin-off about a New York film critic Jay Sherman. The character was in A Star is Burns.

Made in the mid-90s when The Simpsons was at its peak, this show suffered in comparison. But for me it was as sharp and funny as The Simpsons - and certainly better than later Simpsons series. 

I watched a couple of episodes yesterday that are as good as anything the writers did with the Simpsons. All The Duke's Men, about the billionaire Duke Phillips making a run for office (spookily some of the stuff he said in that were later used by Trump). The whole episode is here.

The other one was Sherman of Arabia. Jay is attending the Baghdad Film Festival when war breaks out.

Both of these, for me, have the same pace and style of peak Simpsons. 

They only ever made (I think) 22 episodes. so if you can get your hands on them online, well worth a watch. I've been watching with my son who is 16 and thought it would be a bit aged for him, but the humour stands up very well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sky making their way through the early seasons again.

The absolutely glorious "Whacking Day" has just been on. It not only features the first appearance of Super Nintendo Chalmers, but a guest appearance from Barry WHite, at his own request, and a specially recorded version of "Can't Get Enough of your Love".

It also has one of my favourite exchanges between Lisa and Homer. Apologies for the shit quality, but it was the only version I could find with the whole conversation

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a question....

In the episode "Mr Burns Heir", Milhouse gets on stage to audition. 

Mr Burns says, in every version I can find.... "I specifically said no geeks". 

I have a mate (and I agree with him) who is utterly sure it used to be "no weiners", but I can find no trace. 

Are we being Mandela'd here, or is it, as I suspect, that I have discovered an alternate timeline which I blame on CERN and their stupid collider thingy

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I have a question....

In the episode "Mr Burns Heir", Milhouse gets on stage to audition. 

Mr Burns says, in every version I can find.... "I specifically said no geeks". 

I have a mate (and I agree with him) who is utterly sure it used to be "no weiners", but I can find no trace. 

Are we being Mandela'd here, or is it, as I suspect, that I have discovered an alternate timeline which I blame on CERN and their stupid collider thingy

I always remember it as 'geeks' because after it he says "but my mom says I'm cool!" which wouldn't make any sense had Burns said 'weiners'.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I always remember it as 'geeks' because after it he says "but my mom says I'm cool!" which wouldn't make any sense had Burns said 'weiners'.

This is the correct answer. It was always 'geeks'.

Burns isn't the type to say 'weiners'.

• 3 weeks later...

Why am I only just now discovering this thread??

Lets get caught up: Four finger discount is a great simpsons podcast, particularly from series 3-8

Simpsons quotes I use almost every day:

Spoiler

686852.jpg?b64lines=SSBET04nVCBDQVJF

Spoiler

549014.jpg?b64lines=UEFSRE9OIE1FPw==

and of course:

Spoiler

1108673.jpg?b64lines=WWVz

Bonus simpsons based meme/good advice to find out if your foster parents have been killed by a terminator

image.thumb.png.09044478b33fd81f4ad41216059bcd6f.png

• 4 weeks later...

I was very surprised to see recently that 'Homer's Enemy' is seemingly the most popular episode.

It's a great episode but it wouldn't make my top 50. Unsure why it's so revered over so many other better episodes.