Metal Gear Solid V

Broken Algorithms

My oh my. Absolutely ruined the story for myself. Probably one of the biggest, and most obvious twists is in store for the eagle eyed MGS players. You can see that Kojima was planning a Metal Gear 1 remake when you find out the twist, but now that won't be happening we are all going to be left with a really, really horrible finish to this series. Guttttttttted.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to complete the Lingua Franca episode in one go. That's never happened to me before. No kills, and four out of the mission's seven accomplishments to boot.

I've put in some shift, doing all 14 episodes so far and all the side missions, and I'm only 20 per cent into it. This game is huge.

One thing that didn't bother me but does now is that opening credits thing before each main mission. Usually it's not too bad, but one mission really ruined it for me yesterday. Spoilers ahoy...

The mission "Voices". Fantastic one, travelling through the mist, taking out a number of guards until I reached the big warehouse at the objective area. Very creepy atmosphere there. You're conditioned to see big facilities like that and expect hidden guards. I'm scanning, and can't find anyone. Quiet hasn't found anyone. Something's very wrong. Worked my way into the building, and see all the blood. Work my way through, seeing some of the creepy things, and then out comes Skullface, and eventually the Man on Fire and his weird masked pal. That would have been a wonderful moment, but it had been totally spoiled by those credit things that showed they were going to turn up. Totally spoiled what could've been a very good moment.

Another thing - is the wait function on buddies and NPCs fucked? I've mentioned before that D-Dog refuses to wait when you ask him to, and yesterday I had that mission where I led the kids from the mine to safety. It turned into a much tougher mission thanks to them staying when they shouldn't, and charging on when I've told them to wait. Took a few go's to get it right purely down to that.

Away from spoilers, I think this is my favourite game of all time, or at least for some time. An absolute masterpiece, despite a couple of niggling little faults.

One thing that didn't bother me but does now is that opening credits thing before each main mission. Usually it's not too bad, but one mission really ruined it for me yesterday. Spoilers ahoy...

The mission "Voices". Fantastic one, travelling through the mist, taking out a number of guards until I reached the big warehouse at the objective area. Very creepy atmosphere there. You're conditioned to see big facilities like that and expect hidden guards. I'm scanning, and can't find anyone. Quiet hasn't found anyone. Something's very wrong. Worked my way into the building, and see all the blood. Work my way through, seeing some of the creepy things, and then out comes Skullface, and eventually the Man on Fire and his weird masked pal. That would have been a wonderful moment, but it had been totally spoiled by those credit things that showed they were going to turn up. Totally spoiled what could've been a very good moment.

Another thing - is the wait function on buddies and NPCs fucked? I've mentioned before that D-Dog refuses to wait when you ask him to, and yesterday I had that mission where I led the kids from the mine to safety. It turned into a much tougher mission thanks to them staying when they shouldn't, and charging on when I've told them to wait. Took a few go's to get it right purely down to that.

Away from spoilers, I think this is my favourite game of all time, or at least for some time. An absolute masterpiece, despite a couple of niggling little faults.

Aye, they did the same with the Honey Bee and Hellbound missions and the ending was slightly sullied because I knew who'd be pitching up at one point.

Agree with your sentiments though, there's a couple of grievances here and there but on the whole it's a wonderful game. Certainly getting my money's worth from it.

I'm on about mission 36 now - three quarters of the missions after about 31 are repeat missions on a harder difficulty - complete stealth, no weapons etc. Seems to be mainly side ops that progress the story.

What the actual f**k are these recycled story missions about?

It's shocking, tbh. There's been an entire DLC worth of missions (plus an entire chapter) been cut from the game because Konami wanted the game out ASAP. It's probably why Kojima left.

Wait until you see the true ending. One of the must clumsy, frustrating endings I've seen in a game. Could have been so much better.

The dialogue in the final tapes, and true ending cutscenes are clearly Kojima trying to soften the blow for the player because he knows that the way the game story progressed after chapter 1 was downright shoddy and horribly paced. Gameplay wise this is tremendous but by f**k the story has been jumbled horrendously. Had there not been some shenanigans on Konami's part, Metal Gear 1 had the best foundations for a remake possible.

I've not reached the end yet, but apparently parts of the actual ending cutscene and mission could be seen on a bonus disk. There's footage of it online too.

I just beat quiet on extreme. Totally cheated. If anyone else is stuck and just wants it out of the way:

just airdrop sleeping gas onto her location twice

I've not reached the end yet, but apparently parts of the actual ending cutscene and mission could be seen on a bonus disk. There's footage of it online too.

I just beat quiet on extreme. Totally cheated. If anyone else is stuck and just wants it out of the way:

just airdrop sleeping gas onto her location twice

Yeah. It has parts of the concept art and a 30% complete/edited cutscene of what would have been mission 51 "Lord of the Flies"". Watched it, and it was cool; well, what was actually completed of it.

I take it the cut stuff won't be appearing in future? Not just because it would confuse things story wise but because Kojima has fucked off?

I'm really unimpressed with the recycled stuff, I'm not that patient or stealth-minded to do some of them properly.

Murmurs of a DLC being released completing the story but I doubt it will happen because of the whole Kojima/Konami debacle.

The dialogue in the final tapes, and true ending cutscenes are clearly Kojima trying to soften the blow for the player because he knows that the way the game story progressed after chapter 1 was downright shoddy and horribly paced. Gameplay wise this is tremendous but by f**k the story has been jumbled horrendously. Had there not been some shenanigans on Konami's part, Metal Gear 1 had the best foundations for a remake possible.

I've seen a reviewer put it pretty perfectly. Most MGS games really struggle for having a wonderful, tight story, but slightly lacking on the gameplay side. This time, they switched it around, with MGS5 nailing the gameplay, but the story being weak.

Although I thought it would be the opposite, I'm actually missing the long cutscenes. I know they're now filled in through audio tapes, which I thought would be the best way to do it, but I find myself completely forgetting to listen to them given its now optional. Which probably doesn't help with the story not being as strong.

I'm doing the Traitors' Caravan mission and I can see why everyone was talking about it. It's a pain in the arse. Sneaking through the airport is one thing but getting to the convoy before it reaches the river is something else. It's very annoying there isn't a checkpoint after the airport - I was playing it last night and got fed up trying to sneak through the same bit time and again.

Any ideas as to how to get through it? I've had the D-Walker dropped off outside the airport so I can get there quickly but can't quite sneak through the outposts, end up getting spotted and antagonising the convoy.

I'm doing the Traitors' Caravan mission and I can see why everyone was talking about it. It's a pain in the arse. Sneaking through the airport is one thing but getting to the convoy before it reaches the river is something else. It's very annoying there isn't a checkpoint after the airport - I was playing it last night and got fed up trying to sneak through the same bit time and again.

Any ideas as to how to get through it? I've had the D-Walker dropped off outside the airport so I can get there quickly but can't quite sneak through the outposts, end up getting spotted and antagonising the convoy.

I don't even remember there being an airport in that mission :unsure2:

From what I remember, I high-tailed it to where the convoy started, spotted the convoy, then got on the horse and headed a good distance up the road, between two outposts. Made sure it was a bit with a hill by the road. Set 2 bits of C4 on the road, and waited for the lead truck to go over it. Detonate, then destroy the tailing truck. The one you need to extract will then speed off, but with the horse it's easily catchable. Pass them again, then shoot out the driver. Truck will stop, and it's onto the very annoying Skulls part. I managed to stop the truck right in one of the outposts, which gave me a lot more cover to beat them. Plus Quiet, who I called in mid-battle.

You can sneak over the wall at the airport, Fulton the truck, then run away from the Skulls until you're outside the hotzone. Easy.

Best way I've found to do it, only I stole an armoured vehicle and drove away.

Cheers for the advice, lads! Avoided heading into the airport and mucking around there and headed straight for the convoy. Two rockets to take out the tanks and one well-placed shot to incapacitate the driver. I had the D-Walker so it was easy enough to outrun the Skulls.

Archived