Metal Gear Solid V

Broken Algorithms

You probably didn't have stealth camo or truck fulton the first time you did traitors caravan! Makes it a piece of piss.

Indeed, it was piss easy this time around. The last time I went into the airport and was mucking around in there, but this time was far easier. Took out the first outpost to read the document detailing the convoy's path, then sprinted over to the airport to get a peek at the van. Used Quiet to take out the three soldiers milling around, then swapped her over for the D-Buddy. Waited for the convoy to get going then laid an EMG mine. That disabled the truck, the Skulls popped out, extracted all three vehicles then hopped on the D-Buddy and sped out of the area. All for a solid-gold A.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't be arsed with quiet at all. That fucking humming is really irritating and I just don't find her useful.

Nah man, can't agree. I take her on almost every mission with me, she's a fantastic asset. I suppose it's the way you play it - I like taking out every single soldier at an outpost or base before getting on with the task in hand, so she's incredibly useful. I feel quite attached to her. I just wish she wasn't so sexualised, it undermines her quite a bit.

I am the same in regards to taking them all out but obviously play differently. I prefer to take out the perimeter guards with silenced sniper then get in about the base/area and up close with the guards. D-Doge is my buddy 99% of the time. I take it quiet gets suppressed weapons when you build your bond? Whenever she takes someone out at the moment the whole area goes mental.

Aye, we've got a strong bond and I've been able to kit her out with a silenced rifle with tranquilisers. I've also got her dressed up in Sniper Wolf's old uniform.

That didn't last long and I went back to the bikini look. Although I don't agree with overt sexualisation, I'm still a man.

I'm probably playing the game wrong and I'll have a terrible time of it during the later, more difficult missions. I'm doing the side missions where you have to rescue the escaped children.

I don't really think you can play the game wrong, there's so many ways of doing it. I basically only ever use my tranq pistol (or resupply drops) & CQC unless I have to blow something up. I ended up fighting quiet with my tranq pistol as I didn't have a tranq sniper at the time.

It's useless against the skulls though. I've developed a shotgun for those fights.

I can't be arsed with quiet at all. That fucking humming is really irritating and I just don't find her useful.

This, the humming is annoying but she tends to just start shooting the second your spotted. If im spotted i tend to go on the cqc offensive and try to quickly knock everyone around me out then get into cover and review the situation. It can he annoying if she headshots a target i want to capture for my PMC, even more so if she headshots them while im in the middle of grabbing them into a choke hold. Hell ive even had her kill someone a second after ive hit them with a tranq round.

In my opinion DD is the best buddy, his ability to mark targets as you infiltrate a outpost is invaluable. Im on chaper two now and while theres no doubt this is the most fun MGS in terms of gameplay i dont think its the best in the series. I miss all the codec conversations about gear and stuff.

I took a break from this game and went and completed MGS3 this week, best game in the franchise as far as im concerned.

Just ticked past the 50% mark overall, but don't think I've got too many main missions left. Completed a couple of the repeat ones, including an S rank on Traitors Caravan on Extreme. Pleasing.

So many absolutely seething moments on that mission, though. The checkpoint hits the point after you find the route of the convoy, so every time I failed, it was a long, LONG wait until the trucks hit the ambush again. Finally went the same way I did the first time I passed it, setting up an ambush at one of the small guard posts. I got Quiet trying to take them down, but pretty much every single time she got taken out before making much of a dent. I hid up the guard tower, thinking I could flank them as they ambled past, but instead they just gathered at the bottom of the ladder.

Finally tried putting every piece of C4 I had just before the guard tower, waited (for ages) for them to stand over it, then set it all off. Took out 3 of the 4, then one last shot from above took out the final one. Ooft. Pleasing.

The mission after when you have to go into the quarantine zone on Mother Base...I could see what they were trying to do, but couldn't help but feeling that it didn't have the emotional impact that it thought it had. The point where the infected start to salute was close, but just seemed to be missing something for some reason.

As for Quiet, I pretty much take her along on every mission now. The humming is very annoying - and my wife can't really sit in the same room now while it's playing due to that - but now that I've unlocked the flight suit for her, it's a little easier to take her more seriously. It's a weird disconnect - they've clearly written a badass female character, but then align it with something that seems to have been thought of by a 13 year old.

Every metal gear solid has had some sort of sexualised female badass. Think Kojima just likes his chicks tbh.

Except for The Boss, she's the biggest badass in the franchise and they never sexualised her at all. Still the greatest boss fight in the franchise and video game history

Except for The Boss, she's the biggest badass in the franchise and they never sexualised her at all. Still the greatest boss fight in the franchise and video game history

I'd say she's the exception to the rule.

I've reached a bit of an impasse - I've completed all the episodes available (the last one was a rerun of Metallic Archaea) and done all the side key side missions, but there doesn't appear anything important left to do. There is an available mission in the combat deployment options called Rescue the Peacekeepers but I've tried it three times and lost each time, and there's nothing I can do about it because it's all determined by the computer. It takes about three hours to complete as well.

What should I do here? Do I have to complete this deployment mission to advance the story?

I've reached a bit of an impasse - I've completed all the episodes available (the last one was a rerun of Metallic Archaea) and done all the side key side missions, but there doesn't appear anything important left to do. There is an available mission in the combat deployment options called Rescue the Peacekeepers but I've tried it three times and lost each time, and there's nothing I can do about it because it's all determined by the computer. It takes about three hours to complete as well.

What should I do here? Do I have to complete this deployment mission to advance the story?

Turns out it doesn't. Completed the game earlier this evening. Would give it a solid 8 out of 10. Tremendous fun to play - the gameplay is remarkable and I was a huge fan of the number of ways you could go about your business; it could well be one of the best I've ever played in that regard - but the story was a little lacking for me. A lot of the game's key moments were played out in the form of cassette tapes, and I couldn't get into them. I was also looking for a little more resolution with Eli too.

Turns out it doesn't. Completed the game earlier this evening. Would give it a solid 8 out of 10. Tremendous fun to play - the gameplay is remarkable and I was a huge fan of the number of ways you could go about your business; it could well be one of the best I've ever played in that regard - but the story was a little lacking for me. A lot of the game's key moments were played out in the form of cassette tapes, and I couldn't get into them. I was also looking for a little more resolution with Eli too.

Here's a video of one of the potentially many cut missions. Ties the Eli thing up somewhat, but I'm sure there would have been more if the game wasn't unfinished.

Also, that fucking Battle gear. All those cutscenes and updates about how it's getting on, only to be told it can only be used in combat deployment missions.

Kojima said that he thought about allowing the player to use it in real missions but apparently it would be too overpowered.

Also, that fucking Battle gear. All those cutscenes and updates about how it's getting on, only to be told it can only be used in combat deployment missions.

Kojima said that he thought about allowing the player to use it in real missions but apparently it would be too overpowered.

Thats such a bloody cocktease! Ive been waiting to bloody use it.

I also completed MGS4 over the weekend, TBH since i completed Chapter 1 in MGS5 im finding myself less interested in playing the remaining game. No question that of all the metal gears this has the most fun gameplay although now the gameplay is becoming rather repeative and in terms of overall story its pretty poor. I loved the story in the previous games and they were a big motivation for me to continue playing the game.

Thats such a bloody cocktease! Ive been waiting to bloody use it.

I also completed MGS4 over the weekend, TBH since i completed Chapter 1 in MGS5 im finding myself less interested in playing the remaining game. No question that of all the metal gears this has the most fun gameplay although now the gameplay is becoming rather repeative and in terms of overall story its pretty poor. I loved the story in the previous games and they were a big motivation for me to continue playing the game.

Chapter 2 is a bit of a weird one. It's like some American TV shows - they've had a fantastic first season, then get renewed, but seem to run out of ideas for season 2. There are some very good moments in the second chapter with some of the missions, but then it's padded out (and not particularly generously) with repeat missions. I'm a lot less annoyed about that than when I first heard that was going to happen, as they've clearly put a lot of thought into how to subtly change the mission to make it a new challenge, but still, it's artificial padding.

It's a shame. As I said before, they've gone the opposite way from most MGS games - previously they nailed the story, but had pretty limited gameplay. Now they've nailed the core game, but have let the story slide. If they'd managed to get both right, this would have easily been one of the best games ever. It's still very good, and I'm still enjoying it, but a bit of a missed opportunity in an area they're usually so good at.

Aye, that's a pretty good analogy. Some parts of chapter two were just weird - rescuing Code Talker from the Skulls at the airport, for example, and getting the exact same post-episode information didn't resonate well and seemed pretty lazy compared to the rest of the game. Some of it was good fun (as mentioned earlier, the subsistence missions were grand) but these should have been side missions rather than challenges that advance the story.

I also felt that Snake was too passive and didn't have much of an effect on those around him - I felt like everything was dictated by Ocelot and Miller and they were the ones who drove things forward; I just did their bidding.

It's a shame as it's a gorgeous game that's loads of fun to play. But there's a definite feeling that it isn't finished.

Aye, that's a pretty good analogy. Some parts of chapter two were just weird - rescuing Code Talker from the Skulls at the airport, for example, and getting the exact same post-episode information didn't resonate well and seemed pretty lazy compared to the rest of the game. Some of it was good fun (as mentioned earlier, the subsistence missions were grand) but these should have been side missions rather than challenges that advance the story.

I also felt that Snake was too passive and didn't have much of an effect on those around him - I felt like everything was dictated by Ocelot and Miller and they were the ones who drove things forward; I just did their bidding.

It's a shame as it's a gorgeous game that's loads of fun to play. But there's a definite feeling that it isn't finished.

tfw you realise why Venom Snake was passive

Archived