Metal Gear Solid V

Broken Algorithms

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished the story last night - I've still got two repeat missions to go but they don't seem to matter. The game really feels unfinished and rushed, which is a shame as chapter one was excellent. The new missions in chapter two were fun, but you have to go through the boring repeats to get there. I'm a bit pissed off at konami - there's no chance that kojima would have left it at that voluntarily. As they've now parted ways there's no chance of resolution either.

What happens when it finishes? Do you still get to complete all the side missions?

Life goes on as normal, you can carry on doing the side missions if you want to. The only repeat mission that adds to the story is 47. It's basically the prologue in the hospital but with an extra cutscene at the start and the end.

If you want to get 100% completion though then I'd recommend doing the side ops first. It's really hard to explain this without giving away spoilers, but basically

Mission 43 starts a series of events that cause you to lose quiet as a buddy. You never get her back, but you can't complete the story without losing her. If you want to prevent the story from progressing and want to keep her for the side ops then apparently putting the butterfly on your emblem also stops it from happening. You can then take it off when you're ready.

On a side note, has anyone seen a photo of the lass that did the voice and motion capture for quiet?

Kojima-Voice-Over-Recording-Quiet-Octobe

Life goes on as normal, you can carry on doing the side missions if you want to. The only repeat mission that adds to the story is 47. It's basically the prologue in the hospital but with an extra cutscene at the start and the end.

If you want to get 100% completion though then I'd recommend doing the side ops first. It's really hard to explain this without giving away spoilers, but basically

Mission 43 starts a series of events that cause you to lose quiet as a buddy. You never get her back, but you can't complete the story without losing her. If you want to prevent the story from progressing and want to keep her for the side ops then apparently putting the butterfly on your emblem also stops it from happening. You can then take it off when you're ready.

On a side note, has anyone seen a photo of the lass that did the voice and motion capture for quiet?

Kojima-Voice-Over-Recording-Quiet-Octobe

Stephanie Jootsen is an absolute doll. Love her.

But yeah, shite ending.

I'm now onto MGS 2 after completing MGS 1. Raiden and Rose are such a comedown after the awesomeness of MGS and the Tanker prologue. I wish I was on the internet in 2001, there must have been some amount of seethe at Kojima's bait and switch!I'd also forgotten how annoying the constant Codec interruptions on the Big Shell are. That Iroquois Pliskin chap seems familiar though.

I'm now onto MGS 2 after completing MGS 1. Raiden and Rose are such a comedown after the awesomeness of MGS and the Tanker prologue. I wish I was on the internet in 2001, there must have been some amount of seethe at Kojima's bait and switch!I'd also forgotten how annoying the constant Codec interruptions on the Big Shell are. That Iroquois Pliskin chap seems familiar though.

Wait until you meet George Sears. He will look very familiar. :P

I said exactly this a few pages back.

If Reddit / 4chan and the likes had been around in 2001, MGS would be dead as a series. There's no way they'd have recovered from the negative reaction. It's only playing through it a second time over the past couple of weeks I've realised how good it is.

Any ideas how to take on the Man on Fire in the abandoned industrial zone? I've managed to shoot down the water towers on him but by the time I've called the helicopter he's resuscitated and absolutely bodies me. Was trying it for half an hour or so last night and had an absolute nightmare.

Any ideas how to take on the Man on Fire in the abandoned industrial zone? I've managed to shoot down the water towers on him but by the time I've called the helicopter he's resuscitated and absolutely bodies me. Was trying it for half an hour or so last night and had an absolute nightmare.

Have you developed the water pistol?

Have you developed the water pistol?

What he said. I remember seeing it added to the list and wondering wtf it was about. Then got to that mission and boy would it have been useful. In the end though I managed to do it without.

Try and get him to go into the wrecked warehouse thing. I think there's 3 or 4 water tanks in there at ground level. Try and get him in front of one, then shoot it out. Think I got two of them hitting him before I could escape.

What he said. I remember seeing it added to the list and wondering wtf it was about. Then got to that mission and boy would it have been useful. In the end though I managed to do it without.

Try and get him to go into the wrecked warehouse thing. I think there's 3 or 4 water tanks in there at ground level. Try and get him in front of one, then shoot it out. Think I got two of them hitting him before I could escape.

there's also two water towers outside, lure him over and blow them up and run away.

for the man on fire, I took out the two water towers outside. After the second one (closest to the factory) I found a big square puddle in front of a gas container. Lay in the puddle, and shot the thing when he was in front of it.

My brother knocked him out in front of the cliff, then drove a car into him and jumped out - sends him into the sea

for the man on fire, I took out the two water towers outside. After the second one (closest to the factory) I found a big square puddle in front of a gas container. Lay in the puddle, and shot the thing when he was in front of it.

My brother knocked him out in front of the cliff, then drove a car into him and jumped out - sends him into the sea

Nice one, I thought about trying to knock him off the edge of the cliff but I could only think of was by firing grenade rounds into him and forcing him back (which didn't work).

Haven't had the chance to play it since my post on Monday but looking forward to trying out these suggestions.

Folk who have completed it, how long has it taken you to do so? Going to get in about it at the weekend when I've got a bit of time to spare.

Took me 75 hours to finish all the main missions and a fair few side ops. Just under a month of fairly solid play.

Maybe I'm not far enough into the game but I only seem to use the dog as a buddy. I don't find quiet particularly useful and the d walker is a bit shit. The horse is useful for travelling the map I suppose.

I've never used the walker, it's usually between dog and quiet. Dog had a nasty habit, as I've mentioned before, of just wandering around following me when I've told him to wait. But then Quiet had a habit of shooting guards just a split second before I had them covered, alerting everyone. Dog is by far the most useful for me at the moment.

It depends on what you're doing - the dog's brilliant for scouting out enemies and marking them, and his ability to attack guards and give you that short time to incapacitate them is excellent, but I prefer using Quiet for the side missions like extracting prisoners and skilled soldiers and the like. Set her up with tranquiliser rounds and get her to fire indiscriminately and she's brilliant.

If you could combine her and the dog you'd have a super team.

I haven't used the horse since the dog became available and the only time I've used D-Buddy was in the Traitors' Caravan mission.

Managed to beat the Man on Fire, managed to deck him with a water tower, timing it just as the helicopter was landing. It was a bit disappointing not to get a decent cut scene - all that happened was Snake gave a wee boy a pendant then puffed on a big cigar.

I like the idea of the cassettes but I would have preferred it to have been written into the story by way of a cut scene. It took me a long time to figure out what the point of the game was an who this Cipher mob are.

Archived