Metal Gear Solid V

Broken Algorithms

Haven't played this as I'm planning on playing through all the main series games in order first.

Finished MGS1 the other day and right now about a third of the way through MGS2.

Forgot how much of an annoying c**t Raiden is, and it also struck me how much the MGS series would have bombed if released these days due to the Snake / Raiden 'switch' in these days of Reddit / YouTube / 4chan and so on. I honestly think it would have been the end of it.

Read something about the Raiden switch being a deliberate troll to the player since the game is themed around information control. Nobody had noticed the switch until the release of the game allegedly.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read something about the Raiden switch being a deliberate troll to the player since the game is themed around information control. Nobody had noticed the switch until the release of the game allegedly.

It was. Kojima and Konami even went so far as to release trailers featuring Snake in place of Raiden.

I'm currently playing through MGS 1, it still plays pretty well for a 3D game from that era. I'm blitzing the boss battles that took me weeks when I was young. f**k you Cyborg Ninja!

I'm playing the PSN version on Vita, I was looking at the Gamecube version on Ebay, but that goes for a ludicrous price.

The Viscount mission was a slog for me. Started out pretty well, but once you had to start tailing the interpreter, I thought he'd lead straight to the prisoner. I spent about half an hour following him, trying to stay in cover when he inevitably stopped, having to kill or knock out sentries that just seemed to keep spawning before finally realising what I actually had to do. Found the prisoner and extracted him, then tried to go back from the interpreter, and ended up in the same situation I usually am in these ones - target on my back, sprinting out of a base while bullets ping behind me.

Anyone finding that D-Dog doesn't actually stay when you tell him to? I'm finding him really really useful when sneaking around bases, but in the one where you had to pick up Emmerich, I got all the way to where he was holed up without a single alert, and told him to stay while I took out the final one. Made a bit of an arse of it, but thought i'd got away with it until up comes the dug, seeming really happy for himself as a lone sentry spots him, then me.

Have to say, I'm absolutely loving the game. Think I've just passed the 24 hour mark, and about 12% complete. All thoughts of it being a bit repetitive are gone, it's brilliant.

Spent most of last night trying to capture the Legendary Brown Bear. Went in with my sub-machine gun full of tranquiliser rounds but that seems to be as much use as a nun's tits. Must have called for ammo drops about six or seven times before giving up. I also tried placing capture cages but they did nothing.

Anyone got any ideas how to deal with this big lug?

Spent most of last night trying to capture the Legendary Brown Bear. Went in with my sub-machine gun full of tranquiliser rounds but that seems to be as much use as a nun's tits. Must have called for ammo drops about six or seven times before giving up. I also tried placing capture cages but they did nothing.

My pal said that you really just need to aim for the head as much as you can when using tranq rounds. Body shots do near enough nothing.

Pop a few tranqs in the head, and there's a ledge you can climb onto on the left that he can't reach. Wait it out for about 5 minutes and he falls asleep.

Cheers lads. My R+D team developed a sniper rifle with tranquiliser bullets so I suppose that's my best bet.

That sub-machine gun must be the worst weapon in the whole game. Tried using it on a solider last night and the suppressor was knackered before he keeled over.

Cheers lads. My R+D team developed a sniper rifle with tranquiliser bullets so I suppose that's my best bet.

That sub-machine gun must be the worst weapon in the whole game. Tried using it on a solider last night and the suppressor was knackered before he keeled over.

No bother. I used my tranq hand gun. When you're on the ledge and he can't get you it doesn't matter too much!

I took him out with four or five shots IIRC. Must've got them all plum in the face or something. Much different to finding those fucking wandering soldiers...

Actually found getting those guys was pretty straightforward. Once you get them up on your binoculars, all you need to do is catch them and batter them around a few times.

Actually found getting those guys was pretty straightforward. Once you get them up on your binoculars, all you need to do is catch them and batter them around a few times.

Just hide in the cardboard box and they walk right up to you. Jump out, one headshot with the tranq. pistol and done.

I'm 25% through it now and stuck on the Traitors Caravan mission. Tried it a couple of different ways and still can't get past 'certain' guards...

My next mission up is the Traitors' Caravan one. I'm guessing it's a tough one?

Did the one before where you have to blow up the walkers, and got really into it. Tried a few times, getting caught on trying to extract the second prisoner. Then tried it a different way and managed to clear pretty much the entire area without being spotted. One guy left, he's in the crosshairs and...the fucking cat sits on the PS and manages to turn it off. Raging. Restarted and managed to do it with one alert. Oh so satisfying when you manage to do a mission the way it's "supposed" to be played.

I managed to plant 1 C4 on one of the walkers, before detonating it and setting off an explosive chain reaction with red barrels, taking them all out with one blast. Felt like a Boss. Got all the prisoners extracted also.

One annoyance for me just now is that even though I've completed the legendary gunsmith side op, I still cannot customise weapons. He's nowhere to be seen in my staff ranks and he hasn't been KIA or dismissed.

Any ideas on how to rectify this?

I managed to plant 1 C4 on one of the walkers, before detonating it and setting off an explosive chain reaction with red barrels, taking them all out with one blast. Felt like a Boss. Got all the prisoners extracted also.

One annoyance for me just now is that even though I've completed the legendary gunsmith side op, I still cannot customise weapons. He's nowhere to be seen in my staff ranks and he hasn't been KIA or dismissed.

Any ideas on how to rectify this?

Go to the ACC and go to 'Customise' under the Mother Base part of the iDroid, you can do it there.

Just hide in the cardboard box and they walk right up to you. Jump out, one headshot with the tranq. pistol and done.

I'm 25% through it now and stuck on the Traitors Caravan mission. Tried it a couple of different ways and still can't get past 'certain' guards...

I must be the only one who found it relatively straight forward, just Fulton the truck, jump in a tank and drive away.

Go to the ACC and go to 'Customise' under the Mother Base part of the iDroid, you can do it there.

It wasn't there when I was checking. Turns out I just needed to complete all 3 of the gunsmith missions that appeared after clearing some other side ops.

Finished chapter 1 tonight - the story fair ramped up towards the end! Nice to get a few decent boss battles in too.

Played 53 (!) hours so far, and done 62% of the missions (32% total completion). It's bloody huge.

Archived