North Korea ...again

Britain used to test in, and around, Australia. Generally we haven't tested as many times as equivalent powers (e.g.,France) as we have shared information with America following their tests (which took place in Nevada).

Cheers! I knew the Americans used Nevada but hadn't a clue where we tested ours.

7 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Where does the UK test it's nuclear warheads, assuming we actually have weapons of mass destruction?

We don't, not since the 1950s anyway when we used Woomera in Australia and the likes of Christmas Island.

Since then, we've let the Americas blast f**k out of the Nevada desert, then looked over their shoulders and copied their answers.

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

What would you do if North Korea launched a first attack on Japan, South Korea, or the US?

What do you think US policy has been for the past 20 years?

There's no option but a devastating response. 

I would personally like to shift responsibility for defense of Asian democracies to those countries, but as long as we are involved a massive strike will be what we have to do. The argument for US involvement is that the Asian countries are much more likely to see a war if the US withdrew.

The American Government is trying to. Abe has been trying to push for a reformed Military through the Japanese Parliament for a while now. The Japanese public aren't happy about this.

I certainly think an attack on South Korea would be much more likely if the Americans reneged on their agreement to act as a protectorate.

1 minute ago, killiefan27 said:

I believe since the 60s or 70s, Britain, Russia and the US have agreed to do all testing underground.

Don't think there's been one for ages, since they basically know all they need to know about the weapons by this point.

watch the video posted above mate.

Only semi related as more about nukes than North Korea but if anyone is into podcasts then I would recommend Dan Carlins hardcore history and (they are all great) the episode called Blitz -Destroyer of Worlds. Basically he charts the rise of the nuke and how it was used as a deterrent.

He also asks some interesting questions, one of which is around the fact that nuclear weapons forced us to evolve as a race and consider our options rather than win-at-all-costs war. He asks whether you think that some of the great dictators of the past would hesitate to use nukes if they had the technology available.

To put a Scottish slant on the question, does anyone think that if you gave William Wallace a nuke and showed him the damage that it did would he have hesitated to use it?

Only semi related as more about nukes than North Korea but if anyone is into podcasts then I would recommend Dan Carlins hardcore history and (they are all great) the episode called Blitz -Destroyer of Worlds. Basically he charts the rise of the nuke and how it was used as a deterrent.

He also asks some interesting questions, one of which is around the fact that nuclear weapons forced us to evolve as a race and consider our options rather than win-at-all-costs war. He asks whether you think that some of the great dictators of the past would hesitate to use nukes if they had the technology available.

To put a Scottish slant on the question, does anyone think that if you gave William Wallace a nuke and showed him the damage that it did would he have hesitated to use it?

I'll check that out. I don't really agree with a lot of what he says and find his voice a bit irritating but the topics Carlin explores are always interesting and he usually takes the discussion in an interesting direction.

10 hours ago, Iminavest said:

And who knows what damage all the atmospheric tests in particular have really done - watching that video reminded me of an article I was reading a while back about a bird called the Slender-billed Curlew which was never common but became a real rarity from the 1950s onward when it just stopped appearing on its wintering grounds and is in all likelihood now extinct.

There’s a good chance it holds the unenviable distinction of being the first species that was wiped out by nuclear weapons.

Not much was known about it, but most evidence points to it nesting in the area around Semipalatinsk where the Soviet Union conducted most of its tests – the bit of the USSR now in northern Kazakhstan that repeatedly gets zapped in the video.

9 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

I believe since the 60s or 70s, Britain, Russia and the US have agreed to do all testing underground.

Don't think there's been one for ages, since they basically know all they need to know about the weapons by this point.

Last test by the US and Britain in Nevada was in 91-92 I think - pretty sure I remember the French were still testing in the mid 90s, just before the comprehensive test ban treaty came into being. They still do test fires of the missile bodies - more perishable components and also for training purposes - and component level testing of various parts of the warhead, and a lot of the design is done via pretty advanced computer modeling instead.

Edited by renton

16 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

If NK attacked someone first then they'd be inviting deserved destruction upon themselves, but there's no reason or evidence to suspect they want to do this.  It's ludicrous to suggest there's no other option than the complete destruction of a nation. North Korea has stated repeatedly that they are open to negotiating their nuclear ambitions if the US and the South quit their military games. This is a miniscule concession when the alternative is the almost guaranteed death of hundreds of thousands of people.

When Trump etc says talking has failed, they mean demanding on their own terms has failed.  We are in a scenario where the US would rather start a devastating war than be shown to be open to compromise.

I thought Trump was clear that he was talking about what would happen if North Korea launched a first strike on the US or one of our allies in the region.