North Korea ...again

8 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Or, skip the first few things and just withdraw from the South without anyone invading anywhere. The North have said they are open to discussing their nuke program if this happens.

But that's having to trust a unstable regime to keep thier word. Plus odds are the second the US are out they will launch a attack on the south. 

2 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

But that's having to trust a unstable regime to keep thier word. Plus odds are the second the US are out they will launch a attack on the south. 

Unless Kim suddenly becomes incredibly stupid and/or suicidal, this is very unlikely. Also, any deal probably wouldn't involve them getting rid of the nukes entirely, but would at least allow inspectors in and stop test missiles being lobbed around. In any case, the primary responsibility of those in charge on all sides is to make sure no-one ends up melted in a nuclear apocalypse. They should be doing whatever it takes to avoid further escalation, so if the North are offering any chance of negotiating it has to be considered.

Trump recently said that talking has failed, but what he really meant was talking without the US having to make any concessions has failed.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Unless Kim suddenly becomes incredibly stupid and/or suicidal, this is very unlikely. Also, any deal probably wouldn't involve them getting rid of the nukes entirely, but would at least allow inspectors in and stop test missiles being lobbed around. In any case, the primary responsibility of those in charge on all sides is to make sure no-one ends up melted in a nuclear apocalypse. They should be doing whatever it takes to avoid further escalation, so if the North are offering any chance of negotiating it has to be considered.

Trump recently said that talking has failed, but what he really meant was talking without the US having to make any concessions has failed.

Okay, we need to accept that Kim is not going to be incredibly stupid and/or suicidal.

For example, he would never dream of detonating a hydrogen bomb when his country is next door to China and they are trying to convince the world that they can control him.

Also, there is no question he is paranoid - like most communist leaders.

Trump can talk tough but I really can't see him doing anything without China being in on it - and probably Russia as well.
I think Trump's rhetoric is aimed at China - i.e. do something or we will.

4 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

This is just utter nonsense regurgitation of the cliche bingo you get with any discussion of Korea.

1. There is absolutely nothing unstable about the NK regime. They have consolidated dynastic power from the height of the cold war through to the present day. Whatever your public persona you don't do that by making rash decisions or spunking away the power you have starting an unwinnable war.

2. China has always said, and repeated recently, that they will not allow the NK to launch an aggressive war.

3. The NK end game, is publically the removal of the USA from the peninsula and reunification. Knowing that since the 80s this is utterly unrealistic the real aim is lifting of sanctions allowing the regime to consolidate power as well as personal enrichment. Neither of these scenarios are well served by launching a nuclear weapon or even a land invasion.

Put simply this pish has been going on for years. Nothing will happen other than increased brinkmanship from NK who will always be pulled back on the leash from Beijing.

38 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

They need to be met with fire and fury at levels of which the world has never seen before imo.

21 minutes ago, sjc said:

Easy to say when you don't live in Seoul, South Korea.....

18 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

You mean easy to say to make himself look edgy

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Please don't make we white knight CK by pointing out the whoosh.

I'll point it out - it's a Trump quote.

I found it amusing.

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

This is just utter nonsense regurgitation of the cliche bingo you get with any discussion of Korea.

1. There is absolutely nothing unstable about the NK regime. They have consolidated dynastic power from the height of the cold war through to the present day. Whatever your public persona you don't do that by making rash decisions or spunking away the power you have starting an unwinnable war.

2. China has always said, and repeated recently, that they will not allow the NK to launch an aggressive war.

3. The NK end game, is publically the removal of the USA from the peninsula and reunification. Knowing that since the 80s this is utterly unrealistic the real aim is lifting of sanctions allowing the regime to consolidate power as well as personal enrichment. Neither of these scenarios are well served by launching a nuclear weapon or even a land invasion.

Put simply this pish has been going on for years. Nothing will happen other than increased brinkmanship from NK who will always be pulled back on the leash from Beijing.

An eminently sensible post.

I am more worried about Lewis Toshney playing for the first team this season than I am about Kim starting a nuclear war.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

An eminently sensible post.

I am more worried about Lewis Toshney playing for the first team this season than I am about Kim starting a nuclear war.

Maybe the second scenario would obviate your worry about the first?

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The problem is that we're not dealing with certainties, I broadly agree with your points but the fat kid seems keen to show that he'll do what he wants, his predecessors played the game well of being a 'mad baddy'. The uncertainty caused by his lack of sticking to stereotype is the spanner in the works. We're dealing with perceptions and he's perceived as 'worse' than his predecessors. Un played a blinder when Bush tacked NK onto his 'axis of evil' by telling the US he'd have a dirty bomb in a US city, NK was scratched off the shitlist. This Kim is a bit more aggressive and seems to lack the patience, King Donald won't be there forever. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

You have a leader in place who has had several members of his family and an ex girlfriend brutally murdered. You have a nation that have to show 24/7 unconditional love for their country or fear death or otherwise harsh punishment. Nothing at all unstable there.

China say's a lot of things regarding North Korea, its pretty clear North Korea don't give a f**k because they just do whatever they please in defiance. China "strongly opposed" a nuclear test and did that at all stop or make North Korea hesitate? 

And you think South Korea want's to reunify with a place like North Korea? South Korea is one of the powerhouses of asia while north korea is a barren shithole that can't even feed its people.

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

I wonder ultimately how the Kim dynasty will eventually fall.  All regimes collapse given enough time.  I think the best option naturally is he is deposed in a coup.  I'm sure a little drone strike and a quick transition of power to a government in exile is quite possible.

14 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

I wonder ultimately how the Kim dynasty will eventually fall.  All regimes collapse given enough time.  I think the best option naturally is he is deposed in a coup.  I'm sure a little drone strike and a quick transition of power to a government in exile is quite possible.

One advantage of him murdering his relatives is that there's hardly anyone left in the dynasty to take over when he dies from a cheese and JD binge related heart attack.

3 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

You have a leader in place who has had several members of his family and an ex girlfriend brutally murdered. You have a nation that have to show 24/7 unconditional love for their country or fear death or otherwise harsh punishment. Nothing at all unstable there.

China say's a lot of things regarding North Korea, its pretty clear North Korea don't give a f**k because they just do whatever they please in defiance. China "strongly opposed" a nuclear test and did that at all stop or make North Korea hesitate? 

And you think South Korea want's to reunify with a place like North Korea? South Korea is one of the powerhouses of asia while north korea is a barren shithole that can't even feed its people.

You reading comprehension really is atrocious. I explicitly said reunification, whilst being the stated aim of north has been seen as entirely unrealistic for decades since South Korea's own Great Leap Forward. The exact same position holds true for the south.

Everything you have just described has been the case for at least 30 years and probably longer.

China could end NK and the regime tomorrow without a bullet being fired. Here's a hint for you. Not everything China states in public is what they actually think. Condemning NK to the international community whilst quite liking being in control of a devil dug in their own scheme kind of suits them.