Festivals

Mr Sugden

Well ArcTanGent festival was a stonker. Very slickly run given it's their inaugural year.

On the bands front And So I Watch You From Afar smashed it as usual and there were fine performances from Bossk,f**k Buttons, 65 Days and Maybeshewill.

Looking forward to the 2014 edition.

Well Bestival was outstanding, actually enjoyed it more than Glastonbury this year. Musical highlights being Fatboy Slim, Elton John, Belle and Sebastian, The Flaming Lips, Chic, Johnny Marr, Dan Le sac vs Scroobius Pip and The Polyphonic Spree who played two sets, a normal one and then later on played a the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack.

Non Musical highlights included wandering around The Ambiant Forest late at night, watching Evil Dead 2 in the Ampitheatre, catching a supposed comedy show called The Worst Of Scotee which was perhaps the most disturbing thing ever and a very special mention to Brian Giddins who plays Kev in Derek, his stand up show is one of the funniest things I've ever seen and really has to be seen to be believed.

Probably the most impressive thing I have ever seen had to be The Port, an actual ship shooting out confetti and lazers with some top class DJs playing. Unbelieveable.

The Port was fucking brilliant. Hudson Mohawke, Richie Hawtin and even Knife Party managed wonderful sets out of it. Highlights for me were the Flaming Lips, Daniel Avery, Erol Alkan, M.I.A, HudMo and James Blake who closed the Sunday night off spectacularly. What a weekend.

The Port was fucking brilliant. Hudson Mohawke, Richie Hawtin and even Knife Party managed wonderful sets out of it. Highlights for me were the Flaming Lips, Daniel Avery, Erol Alkan, M.I.A, HudMo and James Blake who closed the Sunday night off spectacularly. What a weekend.

Watched some clips on Youtube of Knife Party from there. Looked insane.

Was that at Kelburn ? We went to the Garden party, 2 nights in July. Quality venue. Hope it went well ?

From about 4.30am it was windy as shit and absolutely chucking it down non stop, my tent got flooded, the top cover bit blew right off, all my shit was soaked like it had been thrown in a river.

It was weird last night, a lot of dicks there which is the polar opposite of what Kelburn is normally like, there was a fight at the main stage and loads of young guys just being cocks and barging through the crowd. Don't know why that happened cause normally everyone is just loved up and heavy sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I've got four more shifts before Festival No. 6. Can't wait to explore Portmeirion when I'm down there. Huge fan of The Prisoner, so walking around that place will be a surreal buzz for sure. Plus, seeing bands like Pet Shop Boys, Los Campesinos and Spector will help.

The Last Big Weekend this Sunday. Looking to arrive for Sophie's set at 15:30 and then after that it's Optimo, Jackmaster, James Murphy, Hudson Mohawke, Jeff Mills then the organisers (Jackmaster, Spencer & Optimo) until the close. Cannot wait.

Hard to keep track of everything I did this weekend. Anyways, Festival No. 6 is over.

Musical highlights:

Patrick Wolf, Neneh Cherry, London Grammar, Spector, Peter Hook and the Light, Tom Odell, Beck, East India Youth, Jon Hopkins, Martha Reeves and The Vandellas, Toy, Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott, Kelis, Pet Shop Boys

Comedy highlights:

John Robins, Marcel Lucont, Fin Taylor, Nish Kumar, James Acaster

Other highlights:

The Prisoner scene reconstructions, Charlie Higson spoken word, JP Bean in conversation, Lloyd Bradley in conversation, Juliet Russell with some crowd singing lessons, Twin Town Cast Reunion.

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting here. Seen all sorts of stuff but the main highlight is Portmeirion itself. Such a beautiful place that more than lived up to it's billing. Can't believe how many of the music acts I watched managed to be absolutely amazing as well. Usually two or three stand out at T in the Park.

Last month I was at Outside Lands in San Francisco.

Highlights include meeting Wayne Coyne, and an insane set by the Flaming Lips, Lykke Li at the acoustic stage, Deer Tick, and Kanye West apparently miming his set.

Lowlights included HAIM, Warpaint and Chvrches cancelling their set on the basis of them being unable to comprehend how check-in works at airports.

• 4 years later...

Didn't want to make a new thread since there's a perfectly acceptable one already.

Did a complete 180 on wanting to go to Victorious to actually getting a ticket for Kendal Calling. The lineup is pretty decent I reckon. Plus, Thursday entertainment coming from Orbital, Gomez and Sea Girls is good stuff.

line-up.thumb.jpg.1cd8aae7afff0ab2a0b23e70881c118f.jpg

Guest Moomintroll

Neighbourhood Weekender for me this weekend, not the greatest line up but Bobby G jumping about full of ket in front of an audience of horried George Ezra fans will be fun to watch.