Festivals

Mr Sugden

Just been making a playlist of the bands I'll be seeing at Primavera Sound in a week or so. It contains Bob Mould, Camera Obscura, Daniel Johnston, Deerhunter, Dinosaur Jr, Jesus & Mary Chain, King Tuff, Mac DeMarco, Meat Puppets, My Bloody Valentine, Parquet Courts, Thee Oh Sees, White Fence, Wild Nothing.

Just been making a playlist of the bands I'll be seeing at Primavera Sound in a week or so. It contains Bob Mould, Camera Obscura, Daniel Johnston, Deerhunter, Dinosaur Jr, Jesus & Mary Chain, King Tuff, Mac DeMarco, Meat Puppets, My Bloody Valentine, Parquet Courts, Thee Oh Sees, White Fence, Wild Nothing.

Sounds good.

The Oh Sees are pretty good on a tiny stage. Anything big and they look completely out of their depth. I like their albums but I'm not quite sure how they hope to expand. That said, Kings of Leon look lost on big stages too and that doesn't stop them headlining from time to time.

Dinosaur Junior are great live. Comes on stage, says hello, then proceeds to play for however long without saying a word. As it should be.

Good to see Daniel Johnston touring. Last time I saw him he was a wreck, could't hold his guitar and had to have someone with him all the time. Sad.

Deerhunter have Bradford Cox, which is both their major problem and biggest benefit.

Wonder if Scarlet Johansson will turn up for Jesus and Mary Chain for no apparent reason to sing out of key again. That's always fun.

Sounds good.

The Oh Sees are pretty good on a tiny stage. Anything big and they look completely out of their depth. I like their albums but I'm not quite sure how they hope to expand. That said, Kings of Leon look lost on big stages too and that doesn't stop them headlining from time to time.

Dinosaur Junior are great live. Comes on stage, says hello, then proceeds to play for however long without saying a word. As it should be.

Good to see Daniel Johnston touring. Last time I saw him he was a wreck, could't hold his guitar and had to have someone with him all the time. Sad.

Deerhunter have Bradford Cox, which is both their major problem and biggest benefit.

Wonder if Scarlet Johansson will turn up for Jesus and Mary Chain for no apparent reason to sing out of key again. That's always fun.

I'd much prefer if the Mary Chain brought Roseanne Barr onstage than someone like Scarlett Johansson. I mean really, what's the point?

Bradford Cox I do have issues with. He's a difficult character, there's no doubt about that. Saw him performing his Atlas Sound material last year and I wasn't so keen. The new Deerhunter album is decent though. Just realised they clash with Bob Mould so that's no contest - Bob for me.

I'm particularly excited about Mac DeMarco, Parquet Courts, White Fence.

Kasabian are pissed off they're not getting a headline slot at glastonbury. Have to agree with them they're better than Arctic monkey imo.

A tour next year would do nicely.

I have disagree with Kasabian being better than Arctic Monkeys. Turner and co have changed there style for the good since there debut album. Kasabian though have hardly developed in 4 albums......

Some free (legal) downloads from bands playing at Primavera.

http://freemusicarchive.org/member/sackman/Primavera_Sound_2013_Preview?page=1&per_page=25&sort=album_title&d=1

Day 1 of Primavera Sound was a success. Wild Nothing were first and not bad. As expected though, some of their songs are tuneless New Order imitations - one song in particular was identical to Regret. Next up was the excellent psychedelic majesty of White Fence. They were pretty off the wall and plenty good fun. After that we went to check out Metz who rocked very hard in a Fugazi/Shellac vein. Again, excellent. I wasn't too bothered about then going to see Dinoaur Jr as I've seen them twice before but (even minus Murph) I really enjoyed them. They played Budge, Feel the Pain and Out There, which made me happy. Had to cut that short in order to go and see Bob Mould who played a fantastic set. The first 6 songs from Copper Blue followed by some of his terrific latest solo album and then closing with some Husker Du classics.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 1 of Primavera Sound was a success. Wild Nothing were first and not bad. As expected though, some of their songs are tuneless New Order imitations - one song in particular was identical to Regret. Next up was the excellent psychedelic majesty of White Fence. They were pretty off the wall and plenty good fun. After that we went to check out Metz who rocked very hard in a Fugazi/Shellac vein. Again, excellent. I wasn't too bothered about then going to see Dinoaur Jr as I've seen them twice before but (even minus Murph) I really enjoyed them. They played Budge, Feel the Pain and Out There, which made me happy. Had to cut that short in order to go and see Bob Mould who played a fantastic set. The first 6 songs from Copper Blue followed by some of his terrific latest solo album and then closing with some Husker Du classics.

Sorry, missed this. Who else did you see?

What is everyone's policy with regards to seeing sets? Do you try and see bits of sets, and leave half way through? I tried that once and got the timings wrong, and missed more than I saw. So ever since, I just take in whole sets. This cost me the chance of seeing Andrew Bird last year and having to sit through all of Foo Fighters, but they were on between Beck and Neil Young, so I didn't mind too much.

What is everyone's policy with regards to seeing sets? Do you try and see bits of sets, and leave half way through? I tried that once and got the timings wrong, and missed more than I saw. So ever since, I just take in whole sets. This cost me the chance of seeing Andrew Bird last year and having to sit through all of Foo Fighters, but they were on between Beck and Neil Young, so I didn't mind too much.

I go for whole sets. Always have. Toyed with mixing things up now and again, but I'd be raging if I left a set without hearing favourites.

EDIT: Actually, I decided to stick around King Tuts to watch The Wanted at T. Think they've got a couple of cracking pop numbers, so decided to see if they'd play any of them at the start of their set before I headed off to see Frank Turner. They were the first two songs. Walked away quite content.

Edited by DomDom