Festivals

Mr Sugden

16 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Are you thinking of the right person?

I am, he is Scottish so he speaks with a Scottish accent, that's pretty inevitable. It's not like he bounces on stage wearing a kilt and a see you Jimmy hat though, if he brings out your Scottish cringe how do you deal talking to anyone from Scotland? 

Part of me hates Gerry because he’s popular amongst annoying weegie children who think just because he’s from Glasgow he’s the fucking best thing going. He’s a Scottish Ed Sheeran to some extent. That said though, some of his songs are catchy - they aren’t unbelievable masterpieces, they’re just enjoyable acoustic guitar songs. There’s nothing special about him but can understand why folk would like him.

20 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

. That said though, some of his songs are catchy - they aren’t unbelievable masterpieces, they’re just enjoyable acoustic guitar songs. There’s nothing special about him but can understand why folk would like him.

Aye that's about right. I've seen him and few times and it's an absolutely fantastic atmosphere aided by the venues being quite small, not sure how that will translate in bigger venues. 

War TV is cracking. 

Hadn't made the weegie connection but then from living down South I don't think it's as noticeable. 

32 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye that's about right. I've seen him and few times and it's an absolutely fantastic atmosphere aided by the venues being quite small, not sure how that will translate in bigger venues. 

Seen him at TRNSMT last year and it's the best atmosphere I've ever seen for an outside show. Also saw supporting The Courteeners at The Hydro and it was quality. Don't get any bigger venues.

Haven’t knowingly heard a single second of a Gerry Cinnamon track, as with something like “Mrs Browns Boys”, for example, the kind of people championing him/it is more than enough evidence for me to steer well clear. 

4 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Haven’t knowingly heard a single second of a Gerry Cinnamon track, as with something like “Mrs Browns Boys”, for example, the kind of people championing him/it is more than enough evidence for me to steer well clear. 

Mediocre busker at best. The lassie that lives across the road from me is a big fan. She also like Love Island. I'll leave it at that.

6 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Why have you not heard a track?

He sounds exactly as you’d imagine, except perhaps slightly worse.

2 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

Why have you not heard a track?

Sorry I’m not sure I understand your question? It’s fairly self explanatory....as far as I know I haven’t heard a single note of anything by him....

1 minute ago, Christophe said:

Sorry I’m not sure I understand your question? It’s fairly self explanatory....as far as I know I haven’t heard a single note of anything by him....

Why though? Watch his set yesterday and then make your mind up, there's nothing cool about being uninformed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07ghvhq/trnsmt-2019-gerry-cinnamon

14 minutes ago, ForzaDundee said:

Why though? Watch his set yesterday and then make your mind up, there's nothing cool about being uninformed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07ghvhq/trnsmt-2019-gerry-cinnamon

Why? I just haven’t sought him out as I’m 99% sure it’s not for me. I’ve usually about 5 or 6 new albums queued up every release day so you need to have some quality control to narrow it down to even that, by sifting out stuff you know just isn’t in your wheelhouse. 

I’ve just really no interest in listening to him at all mate, never mind a set in front of thousands of gibbering TRNSMT patrons. Cheers anyway though.

Always a bit weird when folk think you’re just trying to be “cool” when your not interested in something they are though.....let that go!

Edited by Christophe

Also had never heard of cinnamon before reading this thread, had a listen and his songs are ok, not really for me but I can see the appeal. His stage performance is massively off-putting tho, just seems like a ned doing his best Liam Gallagher impression.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Also had never heard of cinnamon before reading this thread, had a listen and his songs are ok, not really for me but I can see the appeal. His stage performance is massively off-putting tho, just seems like a ned doing his best Liam Gallagher impression.

He has not claimed to be anything else. All he's done is release songs and do a few Facebook posts. No self-promotion, interviews or anything.

22 minutes ago, Christophe said:

If picking out a list of stuff I’m pretty sure will be worth listening to each Friday is autistic behaviour then guilty as charged. Pretty sure it’s not though...though maybe instead I’ll just sit around listening to the same 3 records until enough folk on my Facebook timeline start tubthumping about another generic tit with an acoustic guitar. Sounds like a hoot.

How do you pick out your stuff though? Do you go on recommendation of music journalists or something?

He has not claimed to be anything else. All he's done is release songs and do a few Facebook posts. No self-promotion, interviews or anything.

No self-promotion? Posting on Facebook is self-promotion so you’ve contradicted yourself there. This whole “no promotion, no radio, no label” shtick is utter bullshit, and is just another thing to get his target audience further onside. The Courteeners have arguably done it for their whole careers.

I tend to find Gerry Cinnamon’s fans to be as off-putting as his music. Calling someone autistic for queuing albums on release day (which I also do, for the record) proves that point further. If you find clicking the same YouTube link of Belter for the 285th time while you chug away like f**k because he’s “just a normal guy” to be just as satisfying, then so be it.

If picking out a list of stuff I’m pretty sure will be worth listening to each Friday is autistic behaviour then guilty as charged.

Being in an online dotting war with a stranger and creating an alias account called Linkin farts probably confirms that you are autistic as well tbh.

I have never seen or heard anyone come out and say anything like what you have just said - that you have never heard any of someone’s music but you know it’s shit based on the people who like it. I have heard numerous people saying they don’t like artists, knowing full well they have heard maybe two songs and already decided that it’s shite but don’t think I’ve seen anyone be as honest as you have here.

I don’t get the hate for Gerry Cinnamon and the same goes for all music acts in this day and age. You have so much choice now to find and listen to what you like and there’s very little music that’s in your face and unavoidable like it was in years gone by. Just don’t listen to it and drop the attitude of feeling superior because you have a better taste in music than someone else.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Being in an online dotting war with a stranger and creating an alias account called Linkin farts probably confirms that you are autistic as well tbh.

I have never seen or heard anyone come out and say anything like what you have just said - that you have never heard any of someone’s music but you know it’s shit based on the people who like it. I have heard numerous people saying they don’t like artists, knowing full well they have heard maybe two songs and already decided that it’s shite but don’t think I’ve seen anyone be as honest as you have here.

I don’t get the hate for Gerry Cinnamon and the same goes for all music acts in this day and age. You have so much choice now to find and listen to what you like and there’s very little music that’s in your face and unavoidable like it was in years gone by. Just don’t listen to it and drop the attitude of feeling superior because you have a better taste in music than someone else.

Don’t think I said it was shit now did I? I said I’m 99% sure I wouldn’t be interested. Cheers for that advice that I am currently following already though.... “just don’t listen to it”.... 😄

It was a discussion on a general festival thread that I contribute to regularly, I didn’t crash a specific artist thread to trash them...no idea what you’re on about with that last bit. The usual patter from morons on here with the attitude that people should only contribute positive comments to a subject! 

In conclusion: Great post Throbber! 10/10...will read again over my next dump.