Festivals

Mr Sugden

15 hours ago, ForzaDundee said:

He could have got up on the stage, shat in his hands and then started clapping. BBC would still be all over it, calling it "iconic" and the "best ever".

I'm not really a rap/grime fan, and I don't think I'd even heard a single Stormzy song aside from "Vossi Bop" being on the radio a few times over the last couple of months. I still thought his show on Friday night was excellent - there was an incredible energy to his performance and he had the crowd eating out of his hands the whole time.

1 hour ago, St. Jude said:

You've completely ignored the question. Why doesn't he belong at Glastonbury?

It's the putting on as a headliner I mainly object to, but hey if you want to pay top dollar to listen to such godawful shit then so be it. Same with Kanyo West and J-Zz. 

11 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

It's the putting on as a headliner I mainly object to, but hey if you want to pay top dollar to listen to such godawful shit then so be it. Same with Kanyo West and J-Zz. 

Interesting bunch you’re gathering into your equation there...

Stormzy seemed to make a lot of pertinent social points. As an act though, as an artist, as a festival headliner, when you boil it down - it’s a guy shouting at you. Guys shouting at you seem to be ‘rap’ or ‘grime’, and to my ears, they all sound the same. A guy. Shouting at you. It’s like when a w**k drives past you in a Corsa, with the windows down, playing some nondescript thumping ‘dance track’ at ear shattering volume. All sounds the same.... fcuking shit.

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same stuff though, so, if you like guys shouting at you, or the ‘thump thump thump’ from a Corsa SRi.... fair enough.

Call me old fashioned, but I don’t like guys shouting at me much. 

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Stormzy seemed to make a lot of pertinent social points. As an act though, as an artist, as a festival headliner, when you boil it down - it’s a guy shouting at you. Guys shouting at you seem to be ‘rap’ or ‘grime’, and to my ears, they all sound the same. A guy. Shouting at you. It’s like when a w**k drives past you in a Corsa, with the windows down, playing some nondescript thumping ‘dance track’ at ear shattering volume. All sounds the same.... fcuking shit.

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same stuff though, so, if you like guys shouting at you, or the ‘thump thump thump’ from a Corsa SRi.... fair enough.

Call me old fashioned, but I don’t like guys shouting at me much. 

I suppose this could have been worse.

Rap music is just a man shouting at me :lol:

Fucking hell.

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

I suppose this could have been worse.

Rap music is just a man shouting at me :lol:

Fucking hell.

To my ears, it sounds like someone shouting at me, an awful lot of it sounds the same, like dance music, and superstar DJs stuff. Just the same as I hear people saying all AC/DC or Quo songs sound the same. What would have made it worse? I could hazard a guess, but let’s hear it from you.

To my ears, it sounds like someone shouting at me, an awful lot of it sounds the same, like dance music, and superstar DJs stuff. Just the same as I hear people saying all AC/DC or Quo songs sound the same. What would have made it worse? I could hazard a guess, but let’s hear it from you.
You've got old fashioned taste - that's fine. Probably best not to go on about how shit other folks tastes are though.

Just as an aside, what did you think of run DMC joining forces with Steve Tyler n co back in the 80s?

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You've got old fashioned taste - that's fine. Probably best not to go on about how shit other folks tastes are though.

Just as an aside, what did you think of run DMC joining forces with Steve Tyler n co back in the 80s?

My tastes will be shit to many people too. My taste in music, football teams, TV shows, beers, movies, you name it. I did make a point of saying if you like rap, grime, or thumpy dance type stuff - fair do’s. I think it’s shite, but that’s my right. I think Ant & Dec are shite too, but for many people, they are British TVs top entertainment duo. 

‘Walk This Way’ was never my favourite Aerosmith track anyway, so I have no strong view on the Run DMC version. I much prefer ‘Sweet Emotion’, ‘My Fist Your Face’ or ‘Eat the Rich’. I also never much cared for one of their other most famous songs ‘Dream On’.

Each to their own though, eh?

Guest Moomintroll
My tastes will be shit to many people too. My taste in music, football teams, TV shows, beers, movies, you name it. I did make a point of saying if you like rap, grime, or thumpy dance type stuff - fair do’s. I think it’s shite, but that’s my right. I think Ant & Dec are shite too, but for many people, they are British TVs top entertainment duo. 
‘Walk This Way’ was never my favourite Aerosmith track anyway, so I have no strong view on the Run DMC version. I much prefer ‘Sweet Emotion’, ‘My Fist Your Face’ or ‘Eat the Rich’. I also never much cared for one of their other most famous songs ‘Dream On’.
Each to their own though, eh?
That Dream On comment has just earned you an invite to 12 Ruel St. Janies got a gun & Amazing make up my personal Aerosmith top 3.