Non League Scotland website

1 hour ago, B75 said:

Anyone know of a similar site for English non-league clubs?

Google ground hopping England, there's dozens of fairly extensive sites, but they have a lot more grounds to cover than us.

Ground hoppers must be going off their nuts since March.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Google ground hopping England, there's dozens of fairly extensive sites, but they have a lot more grounds to cover than us.

Ground hoppers must be going off their nuts since March.

Indeed we are going off our nuts. I've spent the past few months drawing up travel plans for when we're eventually allowed back in to grounds. 

Just now, B75 said:

Indeed we are going off our nuts. I've spent the past few months drawing up travel plans for when we're eventually allowed back in to grounds. 

I'm an amateur compared to some guys. I like watching them eyeing each other suspiciously as they sidle about taking notes and photos. The end of season junior games were full of them.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm an amateur compared to some guys. I like watching them eyeing each other suspiciously as they sidle about taking notes and photos. The end of season junior games were full of them.

I dont bother with notes or photos. I just turn up, watch the game and move on to another ground the following week.

Ha Ha seen the (real ale) groundhopper argue over the goal times etc, carry enough train timetables to circle the earth, miss goals in the last 10 mins due to train times. When you see them desperate for team sheets etc you know they've lost it ! I just enjoy the games, the grounds, the people, and move onto the next place/game. Groundtastic an excellent mag over the years, Football Traveller another one. Non League Scotland a brilliant source of info for many years 👏

On 15/08/2020 at 13:00, Sergeant Wilson said:

Yeah those Junior games in June always attracted a load of them with the wee rucksack and the DSLR cameras round the neck (why do they need an SLR?). Don't forget the poly bag for the mint condition programme, and the other copy to write on.

I was at a game at Prestonpans when that groundhop was on. 2 of them went round the park with clickers to count the crowd, while others were dodging about trying to confuse them.

When I was on the committee at Whitehill this silly c**t turned up quoting train times and asking if the bus that passed the ground would get him into the Waverley to catch the 1750 to Nottingham or wherever. We told him to relax, and have a couple of pints in the social club and we'd see if there was anybody that would give him a lift into town. That wasn't good enough for him though, he just hopped about like a cat on hot bricks, doubt if he caught much of the action on the pitch. We got one of them every couple of weeks as they were ticking off the LL.

57 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Yeah those Junior games in June always attracted a load of them with the wee rucksack and the DSLR cameras round the neck (why do they need an SLR?). Don't forget the poly bag for the mint condition programme, and the other copy to write on.

I was at a game at Prestonpans when that groundhop was on. 2 of them went round the park with clickers to count the crowd, while others were dodging about trying to confuse them.

When I was on the committee at Whitehill this silly c**t turned up quoting train times and asking if the bus that passed the ground would get him into the Waverley to catch the 1750 to Nottingham or wherever. We told him to relax, and have a couple of pints in the social club and we'd see if there was anybody that would give him a lift into town. That wasn't good enough for him though, he just hopped about like a cat on hot bricks, doubt if he caught much of the action on the pitch. We got one of them every couple of weeks as they were ticking off the LL.

I remember a mini stampede as a few baled out of Shotts at half time one night to catch the second half at Newmains.

I've always resisted the formal ground hops on the basis of "organised fun". 

Naturally, we get quite a few at Hampden for QP games and the vast majority are ace. You do get a few who are gutted when they can't get a directors' box ticket with the opponents and date on it or, on one occasion, a piece of headed notepaper. Sadly, we don't do a programme and one tosser shouted at me that I was a waste of space when I told him. Harsh but fair.

It's almost like a Question of Sport or Mastermind where they have so many facts & figures, trying to outdo each other. I just enjoy visiting Scotland,enjoying the games and grounds. A couple of pints adds to the day, as I know most clubs are run by volunteers I couldn't give 2 monkeys if they do a programme, I know it's hard work. I will try to do some LL and EOS next time, interesting people and places await.

• 9 months later...
On 06/06/2021 at 12:29, Ian38018 said:

Except the stuff here is true

On 06/06/2021 at 12:29, Ian38018 said:

Except the stuff here is true

Doesn't seem to get updated much recently... it's all very well asking for contributions to be sent in (as opposed to being proactive and checking things for yourself, though I realise this takes a fair bit of time!) But when images are sent in... nothing seems to happen!

Which is unfortunate, as there have been some very significant developments, at quite a number of clubs, over the last couple of seasons. Floodlights, seats, covered enclosures and formerly open grounds being enclosed, to name just a few.

So consequently some of the info on the site  is now well past its sell-by date. 🤔

Edited by Edinburgh Hatter

38 minutes ago, Edinburgh Hatter said:

Doesn't seem to get updated much recently... it's all very well asking for contributions to be sent in (as opposed to being proactive and checking things for yourself, though I realise this takes a fair bit of time!) But when images are sent in... nothing seems to happen!

Which is unfortunate, as there have been some very significant developments, at quite a number of clubs, over the last couple of seasons. Floodlights, seats, covered enclosures and formerly open grounds being enclosed, to name just a few.

So consequently some of the info on the site  is now well past its sell-by date. 🤔

Give the lad a break, it's only him running and funding the site. Why don't you offer to give him a hand?

On 07/06/2021 at 22:23, Edinburgh Hatter said:

On 07/06/2021 at 23:03, Cyclizine said:

Give the lad a break, it's only him running and funding the site. Why don't you offer to give him a hand?

Fella announced he's closing site down in November.

http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk

I would first of all like to thank everyone who has utilised and contributed to NLS over the years that I have been running the website since becoming the successor to Jamie Wire's version. The contributions have ensured that the website has remained popular and informative.

However, with that popularity comes expectations and unfortunately I have now reached the stage where keeping track of changes at nearly 250 clubs is no longer something I can find the time for and those standards are proving impossible to maintain. I have updated the website with as much of the recent confirmed changes as I can find (I appreciate further change up north is coming), but with so many clubs joining leagues and making ground improvements, keeping track is difficult.

So regrettably this version of NLS will come to an end in November when the next year's fees are due. That will be 9 years that I have been running the site and I think it's been a decent shift. I am happy to pass the baton on to someone else who can take the website forward (just get in touch if you need anything), but for me my time to ride off into the sunset has come.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to NLS.

Terrible news - absolutely fantastic resource.

Such a great website and source of info especially now that we are about to have a truly nationwide non league pyramid, where having one website linking all the leagues and clubs together makes it arguably even more relevant today. But can imagine the amount of effort to keep it maintained.

Edited by morley

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully there will be someone with the time and ability to maintain the site, been absolutely priceless for my travels up north. Maybe it would be possible to release the updated details into a book - like the Non League Directory by Tony Williams etc. Many thanks for everything, enjoy your ride to the sunset, well deserved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/08/2020 at 19:29, Andy groundhopper said:

Ha Ha seen the (real ale) groundhopper argue over the goal times etc, carry enough train timetables to circle the earth, miss goals in the last 10 mins due to train times. When you see them desperate for team sheets etc you know they've lost it ! I just enjoy the games, the grounds, the people, and move onto the next place/game. Groundtastic an excellent mag over the years, Football Traveller another one. Non League Scotland a brilliant source of info for many years 👏

On 17/08/2020 at 18:19, Andy groundhopper said:

It's almost like a Question of Sport or Mastermind where they have so many facts & figures, trying to outdo each other. I just enjoy visiting Scotland,enjoying the games and grounds. A couple of pints adds to the day, as I know most clubs are run by volunteers I couldn't give 2 monkeys if they do a programme, I know it's hard work. I will try to do some LL and EOS next time, interesting people and places await.

your're far too sensible for these pages,,,,,,,,,

Edited by YoungSouthcroft