Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why aren't the SNP saying this then?

And your other claim that if Scotland don't get the pound they'll have no debt is also something that the SNP have never said either but hey ho.

Actually, you'll find the SNP are saying that.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/peter-jones-sterling-effort-in-the-circumstances-1-2337809

Now, it seems to me that if Scotland votes for independence, the rest of the UK would not want a wildcard state playing fast and loose with sterling on its northern frontier. As Mr Salmond has pointed out, sterling is a fully tradable currency and there is nothing to stop Scotland using it.

Plan A, a currency Union. Plan B, using Sterling anyway. Its the Brits call for which of the options they would prefer.

And no, the SNP never said the latter part (as far as I know), that is my view. If we aren't entitled to our share of the assets, then why on earth would be accept any of the debt? Can't have it both ways boy.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He played a major part in establishing the party in the centre left and it then becoming a major party in Scotland. This is one of the reasons he reached the lofty heights of deputy leader, and was expected to stand for and win the leadership in the 90's, but declined.

Perhaps the term founding father wasn't correct, but he was a big player in the SNP for many years, and is a prominent nationalist.

:lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aye right enough!

He played a major part in establishing the party in the centre left and it then becoming a major party in Scotland. This is one of the reasons he reached the lofty heights of deputy leader, and was expected to stand for and win the leadership in the 90's, but declined.

Perhaps the term founding father wasn't correct, but he was a big player in the SNP for many years, and is a prominent nationalist.

Sillars joined the SNP in the 1980's. The "'79 Group" were established with the intent of moving the party to the centre left.

Which came first? (the clue is in the '79 group's name)

Incidentally, Lex the liar was making big claims about the Greens, lets see what they are saying:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-greens-go-their-own-way-1-3189981

The SNP’s proposed plans to keep the pound as part of a sterling “currency union” with the remaining UK after independence could provide a short-term solution for Scotland, the Greens say.

But in the longer term, a separate Scottish currency is needed to secure true independence from the Bank of England and London – and this should also be the Plan B if the short-term currency union plans break down.

This all seems reasonable. On day one, we keep the pound. Once again, Lex the liar has been caught bonny.

Sillars joined the SNP in the 1980's. The "'79 Group" were established with the intent of moving the party to the centre left.

Which came first? (the clue is in the '79 group's name)

He played a major part in it. Who said who came first? Are you saying he wasn't a big player in the SNP for many years?

Incidentally, Lex the liar was making big claims about the Greens, lets see what they are saying:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-greens-go-their-own-way-1-3189981

This all seems reasonable. On day one, we keep the pound. Once again, Lex the liar has been caught bonny.

Did you read that before quoting it?

' This should also be the plan B if the short term currency union plans break down '

They want a separate currency option as a plan B if the currency union plans break down. Which both the chancellor and shadow chancellor said they will. Do you agree with them?

He played a major part in it. Who said who came first? Are you saying he wasn't a big player in the SNP for many years?

Did you read that before quoting it?

' This should also be the plan B if the short term currency union plans break down '

They want a separate currency option as a plan B if the currency union plans break down. Which both the chancellor and shadow chancellor said they will. Do you agree with them?

The chancellor has said this? When? If you can break this news, then you'll have a world exclusive!

Oh dear oh dear. The Greens have said that a currency union is a viable short term plan. Which goes against what you claimed. I've already said that I think a Scottish currency is something to look at in the longer term (a couple years down the line), but not on day one. Are you illiterate as well as dishonest?

The chancellor has said this? When? If you can break this news, then you'll have a world exclusive!

Oh dear oh dear. The Greens have said that a currency union is a viable short term plan. Which goes against what you claimed. I've already said that I think a Scottish currency is something to look at in the longer term (a couple years down the line), but not on day one. Are you illiterate as well as dishonest?

The Greens have said the currency union is a viable short term plan. They've also said they want a separate currency as plan B incase the currency union talks break down. The chancellor and shadow chancellor says it's unlikely a currency union will be agreed.

Do you agree with the Green Party? Is a separate currency a necessary plan B?

The Greens have said the currency union is a viable short term plan. They've also said they want a separate currency as plan B incase the currency union talks break down. The chancellor and shadow chancellor says it's unlikely a currency union will be agreed.

Do you agree with the Green Party? Is a separate currency a necessary plan B?

How many times do I have to repeat exactly the same thing? I already replied several times to this exact question today.

And I see we've backed down regarding what osborne actually said. Oops! At no point has he said a currency union will not happen, despite having many opportunities to say so.

By the way, my answer to your question was in the reply you quoted. One of many replies to you answering this exact question.

Not sure what that article was supposed to prove...

If you don't want to accept that the £ is not guaranteed, fair enough.

It was supposed to point out that the snp are saying the thing you accused them of not saying. And the pound is guaranteed. We will be using it.

It's quite obvious that you are only attempting to big Sillars up as a means of trying to pretend that there are divisions between the main players in the "Yes" campaign.

As I've already said, Sillars was an SNP member for about 12 years. In addition, he was an SNP MP for 4 years and was depute leader for only 2 years.

Unlike most of the '79 Group, who eventually succeeded in moving the party to the left, he was never suspended or expelled from the party.

As such, I feel you are exaggerating his influence both in the SNP of the 80's/90's and as a political force today. Let's agree to differ.

How many times do I have to repeat exactly the same thing? I already replied several times to this exact question today.

And I see we've backed down regarding what osborne actually said. Oops! At no point has he said a currency union will not happen, despite having many opportunities to say so.

By the way, my answer to your question was in the reply you quoted. One of many replies to you answering this exact question.

So you disagree with the Greens then? Because if a currency union can't be agreed (as its likely not be according to senior whitehall figures) the Greens want a separate currency right away.

And who can blame them? Why would any country want to surrender representation on the monetary policy committee which controls its currency?

I prefer the Greens version of independence over the SNP's. I'd hate to see such a proud country like Scotland not being represented when key currency decisions are being made on our own currency.

Why are some nationalists willing to give MPC representation up?

You'll have to refresh my memory regarding Scotlands current representation on this committee? Or the control we have over the currency?

And yes, I disagree with the idea of a separate currency on day one. You got there at last. Well done.

Incidentally, if you prefer the Greens vision, thats fine. You can vote for them post election, just as I might. Problem solved!

You'll have to refresh my memory regarding Scotlands current representation on this committee? Or the control we have over the currency?

And yes, I disagree with the idea of a separate currency on day one. You got there at last. Well done.

Incidentally, if you prefer the Greens vision, thats fine. You can vote for them post election, just as I might. Problem solved!

William Dowson is the Scottish agent on the MPC. Of course we are overly represented in the parliament which appoints people to the committee, 2 of the last 3 chancellors have been Scottish for goodness sake.

So when you called me a liar and quoted the Greens statement and said 'all seems perfectly reasonable to me' what you actually meant was that you fundamentally disagree with their fiscal policy for an independent Scotland, and that i was right when i pointed out the clear split in the yes campaign over this key issue.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh, and i've already stated i'll be voting SNP in the next parliamentary elections. They're doing a great job in the devolved parliament.

Nope. I pointed out that the greens agreed that using the pound was reasonable immediately post independence. Telling lies isn't very nice.

So tell me about this william dowson guy. How does he represent Scotland? Is he resident in Scotland? What has he achieved for Scotland? Who appointed him? I ask because I've never heard of this guy, and you seem to be the expert. I didn't realise the Scottish govt could appoint people like that.

Archived