Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currency union with a separately governed independent nation is a huge step. (Look at the debacle with European monetary union).

I think the answer may be that it's a question for the people, and therefore probably requires a referendum in Scotland, England, Wales and NI.

Mind you, I do agree that no one on either side of the debate seems to be grasping this particular nettle and coming up with a solution.

Well why don't the Unionists either say Yes, say No, or say it is a matter for a referendum. Instead we get dark cryptic mutterings about "probably not" and "challenging" etc. If the Unionists want to say no, they should say no. If it will be a matter for a referendum of their own, then they should say so.

The only uncertainty here comes from the Unionist side. No matter what, Scotland will be using the pound on day 1.

Currency union with a separately governed independent nation is a huge step. (Look at the debacle with European monetary union).

I think the answer may be that it's a question for the people, and therefore probably requires a referendum in Scotland, England, Wales and NI.

Mind you, I do agree that no one on either side of the debate seems to be grasping this particular nettle and coming up with a solution.

There is a solution that has been put forward by one side of the debate and it's perfectly viable. The only nettle grasping that needs to be done is on the UK side.

Well why don't the Unionists either say Yes, say No, or say it is a matter for a referendum. Instead we get dark cryptic mutterings about "probably not" and "challenging" etc. If the Unionists want to say no, they should say no. If it will be a matter for a referendum of their own, then they should say so.

The only uncertainty here comes from the Unionist side. No matter what, Scotland will be using the pound on day 1.

As I'm not in government nor on the board of the Bank of England, I'm not really in a position to answer that. Also many of us are wavering between both opposing factions and so can't answer for the YES or NO campaign either way.

I've simply stated my belief that currency union should be a matter for the people and not politicians.

One sided debate? Not exactly democracy in action.

One side has set out its view. The other side hasn't engaged with it or put forward its own view though. It has simply gone. "Put another view forward". If you are wondering why it is one sided, then take a look at the Unionists. Now, if you were to back to January, perhaps we could hear from a man who claims that ""I am speaking for Scotland" [1], who is senior in Project Fear (Better Together!). What does this man say?

When pressed by Brewer on whether a monetary union with Scotland would be in the interests of the rest of the UK, Darling replied: "Of course! If you have independence, or separation, of course a currency union is logical."

[2]

Only one side is being dishonest and refusing to engage here.

[1] http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/darling-i-speak-for-scotland-not-david-cameron.22171221

[2] http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/6549-alastair-darling-backs-currency-union-between-scotland-and-ruk

As I'm not in government nor on the board of the Bank of England, I'm not really in a position to answer that. Also many of us are wavering between both opposing factions and so can't answer for the YES or NO campaign either way.

I've simply stated my belief that currency union should be a matter for the people and not politicians.

Are the people economists? Do they have economic advisors? Are they in a position to make an informed choice?

Archived