Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is interesting.

A Lib Deb fan dan going against party policy.

It's called liberty of opinion.

Wunder if Wullie Rennie knows or has ever heard of AD LIB?

I know him quite well. We've spoken on several occasions and I've discussed both independence and a number of other policy issues with him. Some adversarial, others constructive.

Could damage his political career in years to come spouting out against party policy.

I have no ambitions of a political career. I'm a Liberal Democrat.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there any other options like:

Would you like Scotland to be in the EU?

Would you like Scotland to be in an EFTA arrangement?

Would you like Scotland to be self representative in the WTO?

Would you like Scotland to align with other smaller nations but outwith the EU?

It's called liberty of opinion.I know him quite well. We've spoken on several occasions and I've discussed both independence and a number of other policy issues with him. Some adversarial, others constructive.I have no ambitions of a political career. I'm a Liberal Democrat.

Did you just join up to donate to a worthwhile cause or to meet other "really interesting" people?

Or are you practising to become a postman?

If I am honest, I will feel bad for those who want to keep the union, because it is bound to end one way or another.

I'll feel bad for the Nats. Genuinely, I will.

This defeat will be the culmination of a long campaign, and a lot of people will have worked really hard, canvassed, prowled the streets looking for victims, and invested a lot of time in this. Which is really a good thing.

I don't know what will happen after they lose. Will they pick themselves up and say "Plan for the next one" or will it be so disheartening they take a back seat.

The aftermath of Yes's defeat will be fascinating. By far the most interesting aspect of the whole thing for me. I have a feeling the SNP know they are going to lose and are planning ahead for it. Their focus will be on winning the next SP election and retaining power at Holyrood.

I'll feel bad for the Nats. Genuinely, I will.

This defeat will be the culmination of a long campaign, and a lot of people will have worked really hard, canvassed, prowled the streets looking for victims, and invested a lot of time in this. Which is really a good thing.

I don't know what will happen after they lose. Will they pick themselves up and say "Plan for the next one" or will it be so disheartening they take a back seat.

The aftermath of Yes's defeat will be fascinating. By far the most interesting aspect of the whole thing for me. I have a feeling the SNP know they are going to lose and are planning ahead for it. Their focus will be on winning the next SP election and retaining power at Holyrood.

I won't, these people seem genuinely deluded into thinking they are going to win this. I am really looking forward to the aftermath of this no vote. There will be some genuinely tearful scenes in here from the nat weans.

The point isnt that Scotland would have had to bail out RBS alone. But the impact of an RBS crash for an independent Scotland would have been massive. Along with BoS as well.

Look at the effect the Irish banking collapse had on Ireland. It was a nightmare scenario for Britain to deal with. It would have been horrendous for Scotland.

it wouldn't have to have, the rule as applied seems to be you are responsible for the bit of the bank operating in your country, not the headquarters country being responsible for the entire debt. Bare in mind that the bailout was principally there to protect the money invested by various individuals and companies in different countries, it was in their own best interest to protect their own savers finances so as not to cause a huge depression then and there. It was not the responsiblity of the people of Scotland to shoulder the blame and burden of a private transnational corporation.

What is certain is that the rules of the bailout would've been different: I doubt Scotland could or would nationalise the bank on it's own cogniscance - and it would have put the rUK in a bind: Required to protect their savers interests in a foreign bank, unable to nationalise it either.

I won't, these people seem genuinely deluded into thinking they are going to win this. I am really looking forward to the aftermath of this no vote. There will be some genuinely tearful scenes in here from the nat weans.

I won't feel one bit sorry for the No campaigners when there is a Yes vote. You people are holding Scotland back!

The No campaign has focused on a lying,smearing and scaremongering campaign to keep your precious Union. And that will back-fire big time!

Personally I would have you lined up against a wall post independence, but deportation will suffice..

Scotland is part of the UK which is a memeber of the European Union. Scotland gets diverced from the UK, it's a new contract with the EU to stay within it.

Why do you find that fact so hard to understand?

Scotland as a stand alone country is not a memeber of the EU. I'll not spell it out, I think you know the facts, just in denial though.

It seems to be a really tough one for the fuzzy heided dwarf to get his mind around.

Scotland isn't a country as far as the EU is concerned. England isnt a country as far as the EU is concerned. Neither are Wales or NI. All the treaties signed have been signed on behalf of the UK, not Scotland, not England, Not Wales, and not Northern Ireland.

If Scotland actually did decide to f**k off out of the union then it will become a new country. None of the treaties signed by the UK will apply to it. Scotland would need to negotiate new treaties with the EU and it would need unanimous agreement from ALL the other member states of the EU that those terms were agreeable to all. If not then Scotlands entry WILL be vetoed by whatever grumbling bunch of Johnny Foreigners didn't like what Scotland was getting in comparison to them. Who knows? The UK itself was told to f**k off by France twice, so is there some reason why some bunch of randoms in their new shiny ex commie bloc state couldnt take a fucking huff for no reason and veto Scotlands efforts? I fucking hope thye all do obviously, but it may or may not happen. I suppose it will come down to what Scotland spolitical negotiators manage to sign up for.

The thing that some nat dafties are clinging to is that scotland and the UK would become co successor states. There is fucking no chance this will happen. I'd stick my house on that.

it wouldn't have to have, the rule as applied seems to be you are responsible for the bit of the bank operating in your country, not the headquarters country being responsible for the entire debt. Bare in mind that the bailout was principally there to protect the money invested by various individuals and companies in different countries, it was in their own best interest to protect their own savers finances so as not to cause a huge depression then and there. It was not the responsiblity of the people of Scotland to shoulder the blame and burden of a private transnational corporation.

What is certain is that the rules of the bailout would've been different: I doubt Scotland could or would nationalise the bank on it's own cogniscance - and it would have put the rUK in a bind: Required to protect their savers interests in a foreign bank, unable to nationalise it either.

He knows all this. He's been involved in the same conversations and seen the same facts, hence his swithering and slipping away from the topic.

From last night, I noticed DAFC never explained how wind power "crashed". Can anyone explain this? After all, I note that not a single one of the Unionists disagreed with anything DAFC or Tryfield said last night. Is this agreement?

Equally, what will the unionist side do if it's a yes?

If its a no, we keep going.

HB wonders why we never pushed for devo max - that was the opportunity to kill Indy dead for at least a couple of generations - well if we don't get it, it's our opportunity to use to beat the opposition at the next one.

Say in 2024, there's another referendum. We were promised no and the powers would be looked at, well we had to suffer austerity longer than we wished for, another generation has been lost and we got nothing like the powers we wanted. Plausible?

Do you think we would be daft enough to vote no again?

While I think we have a chance next year (note not will win, anyone predicting stuff just now has his head full of wee motors), there's also a long game being played, and that one I am confident of winning.

It's that simple.

There's no prosepect of a yes. None. So there's not a lot of pointin troubling ourselves over the consequences of it.

It all depends on gaining an outright majority at Holyrood for the Nats if they are ever to get another referendum after this one.

Things do change though. At the moment Im not up for this at all, its a waste of everyones time. But in the future , who knows?

I won't feel one bit sorry for the No campaigners when there is a Yes vote. You people are holding Scotland back!

The No campaign has focused on a lying,smearing and scaremongering campaign to keep your precious Union. And that will back-fire big time!

Personally I would have you lined up against a wall post independence, but deportation will suffice..

I reckon I'm one of the few on this message board that actually owns a gun. 8)

Archived