Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great Britain is in the EU, Scotland as a stand alone country isn't.

Nae luck.

While we're playing the stupid semantics/pedantry game that this thread descends into on a regular basis, I would point out that the United Kingdom is in the EU. Great Britain as a stand alone country isn't.

Nae luck.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe you could look for some precedent, say some examples of money from one country being used to bail out banks headquartered in other countries, with the bail out based on location of banking operations. Can you think of a single example of this? Maybe, oooh, Bank of England money being used to bail out foreign banks? Or perhaps, US money being used to bail out German banks?

You and I both know you've been deeply involved in this discussion before, so I find your memory loss to be quite amusing.

The point isnt that Scotland would have had to bail out RBS alone. But the impact of an RBS crash for an independent Scotland would have been massive. Along with BoS as well.

Look at the effect the Irish banking collapse had on Ireland. It was a nightmare scenario for Britain to deal with. It would have been horrendous for Scotland.

Is this your new argument for the Union? We might not get in the EU? Do you truly believe that? Now, surely your fellow Unionists aren't so intellectually dishonest as to let this stand?

I'll not hold my breath.

Oh, and you STILL haven't answered whether Scotland is part of Britain. Is that a Yes?

Scotland is part of the UK which is a memeber of the European Union. Scotland gets diverced from the UK, it's a new contract with the EU to stay within it.

Why do you find that fact so hard to understand?

Scotland as a stand alone country is not a memeber of the EU. I'll not spell it out, I think you know the facts, just in denial though.

While we're playing the stupid semantics/pedantry game that this thread descends into on a regular basis, I would point out that the United Kingdom is in the EU. Great Britain as a stand alone country isn't.

Nae luck.

Mere pedantry failure.

The UK taxpayer, through the hideous Brown government, bailed out RBS. It was the K government Fred Goodwin went to cap in hand so they could continue to keep the doors open, not the EU and certainly not the Americans.

Why did the RBS pay back £52 billion to US Federal Reserve when it re-paid it's loans then? It seems a remarkably generous gesture if they had no hand in the bailout.

http://news.sky.com/story/15208/rbs-pays-off-emergency-loans-amid-1-4bn-loss

Mere pedantry failure.

So, if I've got you right, Scotland (as part of GB) is not part of the EU because that does not suit your argument

However, you then go on to state that GB (as part of the UK) actually is a member of the EU?

I'm not really following your logic here.............

It seems a remarkably generous gesture if they had no hand in the bailout.

I didn't say they had no hand in the bailout.

How are you getting on with providing that breakdown?

The point isnt that Scotland would have had to bail out RBS alone. But the impact of an RBS crash for an independent Scotland would have been massive. Along with BoS as well.

Look at the effect the Irish banking collapse had on Ireland. It was a nightmare scenario for Britain to deal with. It would have been horrendous for Scotland.

Or we could have let private companies fail.....You make out as if no other companies wanted to buy out RBS? The choice was made by better together to purchase the company at a price that won't ever ROI. It was an idiotic choice from the better together parties, c***s.

...not the EU and certainly not the Americans.

I didn't say they had no hand in the bailout.

Point number 1 there. :D

So why did Britain have to "deal" with it? Surely it was something little Ireland had to deal with, all by itself? Isn't that the issue? Scotland wouldn't have survived without big brother England? And big brother England wouldn't have lifted a finger without the Union?

But you still have "no idea" whether an independent CDU would have been involved in bailing out RBS? Despite 90% of RBS's operations (IIRC) being outside of Scotland? Despite evidence of BoE money being used for other foreign countries? Despite other countries (based on their banking operations) bailing out RBS? And you have "no idea". You know, I'd almost go as far as to say there is a whiff of intellectual dishonesty. And speaking of intellectual dishonesty...

Mere pedantry failure.

I see nobody in the Unionist camp wants to call him out. Presumably there is tacit agreement? Surely if there was any disagreement, the Unionists would say so?

Is this your new argument for the Union? We might not get in the EU? Do you truly believe that? Now, surely your fellow Unionists aren't so intellectually dishonest as to let this stand?

I'll not hold my breath.

Oh, and you STILL haven't answered whether Scotland is part of Britain. Is that a Yes?

Who says we want in??

I'd jump at an EFTA agreement in a heartbeat. YES Scotland are not giving me that option though. Too bad for them.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

Ask the bookies, they'll keep ye richt. Chum. :)

AH! The bookies! I'd forgotten all about them! Did you ever place that bet on Greece leaving the Euro? I do recall you talking about the odds in such depth a few years back.

The Union your fellow countrypeople don't want to leave ;)

If I am honest, I will feel bad for those who want to keep the union, because it is bound to end one way or another. I just don't think it can survive with (at least) a third of the Scottish electorate being reliably against it, voting for a party that is vocally against it, and a with growing and loud portion of the English electorate becoming increasingly against it too (albeit for their own misguided reasons).

I'd like to get out while the going is good, like it is now, but if not then I think think we'll still be going anyway.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

Ask the bookies, they'll keep ye richt. Chum. :)

Under 50% support the NO vote. You don't care yet spend you spare time pretending to be some hard core unionist. You want to leave the EU, the only way this will happen is through a YES vote, yet you vote NO?

Thankfully we can ignore any post from youself regarding Europe. Since you've made up your mind.

Archived