Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if this was covered in the old thread, but what's the chance of Westminster pulling rank in the event of a low turnout and saying something like the vote wasn't representative of the Scottish people?

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this was covered in the old thread, but what's the chance of Westminster pulling rank in the event of a low turnout and saying something like the vote wasn't representative of the Scottish people?

I'm sure some unionists will try but the Edinburgh Agreement and Electoral Commission have that angle pretty much sewn up I think.

They've already done that in the past but I'm positive it can't happen this time round.

Interestingly just looked at the breakdown of results from that 1978 referendum and was surprised to see Tayside and the North-East against and Strathclyde for considering nowadays I'd consider alot of Perthshire, Dundee, Angus and the North-East to be pretty solid SNP territory.

They've already done that in the past but I'm positive it can't happen this time round.

Interestingly just looked at the breakdown of results from that 1978 referendum and was surprised to see Tayside and the North-East against and Strathclyde for considering nowadays I'd consider alot of Perthshire, Dundee, Angus and the North-East to be pretty solid SNP territory.

The North East Used to be Tory country though, so it isn't that surprising really!

I would like to pay my respects to the now departed independence thread. It's a solid 'yes' from me, and has been for some years. Quite simply, I identify myself as being Scottish (despite varied ancestry) and see no reason why Scotland should not, and indeed could not, become an independent state. I also, like Pink Freud, don't like Westminster and what it has become. The voting system has kept politics down south stale and perhaps even malignant. I fancy a clean break. Death to the two party system etc.

More bad news for the no camp, it keeps on surfacing to bite them on the arse.

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/politics/rosyth-shipyard-downgrade-due-to-english-bias-1-2796671

Another union dividend.

Anybody who thinks this sort of behaviour is a thing of the past and won't happen again is away with the fairies.

There's a breach in the dyke, I'm sure the Sunday Mails wee comment yesterday was an attempt at a wake up call to the no campaign rather than a shift in position, also interesting language used, they described it as the no campaign rather than better together....

Margo has also been hinting at half of labour MSPs now favouring independence. She reckons there's a turf war between them and labour MPs, it would only take a single senior or well respected figure to jump the wall to get them to become 'out' for Indy *cough Henry cough*.

HB doesn't believe me, but I've seen the canvass from last year where the 4th question was 'do you believe that Scotland should become an independent country?'. We asked labour supporters as well and about a third were in favour. It's all to play for and at this stage and while no is prob still ahead, it's not by much. The bedroom tax is already being portrayed as a poll tax mark 2, benefits are away to be cut, labour are saying again that we need to end free tuition, who does this hit?

The poor and youngsters. Who is away to get a massive recruitment drive to sign the deceleration as well as making sure that they are registered to vote?

All to play for...

HB doesn't believe me, but I've seen the canvass from last year where they 4th question was 'do you believe that Scotland should become an independent country?'.

I'm not sure what bit I don't believe? Nothing you have said there sounds unreasonable, other than your belief that the actual "word on the street" is any different from poll data and indicates anything other than a clear lead for "No".

That a third of Labour voters would be pro-Independence isn't really surprising. Party politics in Scotland is pretty jumbled now to be honest. Plenty of people like me, who don't want Independence, were SNP voters last time out - because they were the best, or at least "least bad" option out there. That's why the SNP won. It wasn't because there had been a sudden upsurge for Independence - as everyone is finding out.

The bedroom tax is already being portrayed as a poll tax mark 2,

No it isn't.

That it's all to play for. I'm sure you said a few weeks back that you didn't believe me when I first said it. If it was someone else, apologies.

Oh, no that was me. It's absolutely not all to play for. Yes are miles behind and it would take a miracle for them to win, no matter how good a campaign they run.

I don't say that triumphally. In fact it might actually be a much better referendum campaign if it were in the balance. There's nothing really incumbent on BT to push the envelope. They just need to play it boring and steady, collect the W then that's it.

That it's all to play for. I'm sure you said a few weeks back that you didn't believe me when I first said it. If it was someone else, apologies.

Oh, no that was me. It's absolutely not all to play for. Yes are miles behind and it would take a miracle for them to win, no matter how good a campaign they run.

I don't say that triumphally. In fact it might actually be a much better referendum campaign if it were in the balance. There's nothing really incumbent on BT to push the envelope. They just need to play it boring and steady, collect the W then that's it.

Keep thinking that way please,it's all we ask for.

Forgot to say, it was a political canvass and the results weren't made public. It was door to door as well, so we know who to go back and chap. To be fair, not all SNP voters were in favour as well, but they were asked the reasons why and that is being taken care of. The grassroots campaign is going to be decisive in this, people are ignoring the papers although we have a problem with Pacific Quay, and while it's not certain who will win, we stand a better chance than you think.

Keep thinking that way please,it's all we ask for.

I will. So far, all we've seen from Yes voters is hope that the polls turn around and, more importantly really, as i'm no great fan of polling, that there is an upsurge of pro-Independence fervour amongst the populace.

The betting for the referendum just now is around 1/4 No, 5/2 Yes. I still think "No" is a pretty good bet at those odds. I think that understates the likelihood.

Ok, I've been gone over the weekend, and seeing as there has not been a direct answer to why the original thread has disappeared, I'll ask on behalf of those again.

QUELLE f**k?...

There has been a direct answer.

Disk corruption following Saturday night's problems. Old thread can't be restored.

Archived