Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't need one. Why would we need one? We're going to be using the pound. The British literally cannot stop us.

As for the qualifications, the chancellor has been shown up as a liar on this issue, as I've already pointed out several times. Jim Sillars is a concern troll. He's basically Ad Lib. I actually agree that a Scottish currency is a good idea in the future, but not on day one.

Why aren't the SNP saying this then?

And your other claim that if Scotland don't get the pound they'll have no debt is also something that the SNP have never said either but hey ho.

The SNP HAVE said this:

http://www.snp.org/blog/post/2013/may/alex-salmond-debunks-myths-over-currency

important bit:-

An independent Scotland will keep the pound because, first and foremost, Sterling is Scotland’s currency every bit as much as it is that of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

And no one has the right to take the pound away from us if we decide to be an independent country.

We will also keep our distinctive Scottish banknotes that have become such an iconic part of our national identity. To suggest otherwise – as George Osborne is trying to do – is just plain daft and flies in the face of all logic and common sense. We already have our own Scottish banknotes and have done for many, many years under Westminster rule. So does anyone seriously believe The Tories’ claims that we will not be able to do so as an independent country? It is a ridiculous claim, which doesn’t stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

People across Scotland will not take kindly to the sound of a Chancellor from a deeply unpopular Tory Government telling them they have no right to keep using the money we have all been used to for generations.

But George Osborne is playing with fire with his suggestions that Scotland shouldn’t use the pound as an independent country. That’s because Sterling is a jointly shared asset which we are entitled to inherit.

And if the Westminster Government’s position is that we should not be entitled to our own currency and other shared assets, then the only logical extension of that argument is that an independent Scotland will not inherit any share of the UK’s debts.

You'll have to refresh my memory regarding Scotlands current representation on this committee?

William Dowson is the Scottish agent on the MPC. Of course we are overly represented in the parliament which appoints people to the committee, 2 of the last 3 chancellors have been Scottish for goodness sake.

Dowson is on the MPC you say?

And here was me thinking that he just made reports to them, just like all the other agents and deputy agents.

Here's a link to the current listing of MPC members. Can you point him out to me please?

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetarypolicy/Pages/members.aspx

By your definition, I'm currently a Member of Parliament because I have provided reports and information to various MP's.

We don't need one. Why would we need one? We're going to be using the pound. The British literally cannot stop us.

As for the qualifications, the chancellor has been shown up as a liar on this issue, as I've already pointed out several times. Jim Sillars is a concern troll. He's basically Ad Lib. I actually agree that a Scottish currency is a good idea in the future, but not on day one.

The currency question will be an awful pain for the separatists xbl,but I shouldn't worry about it too much as the referendum result will go the way of the UK,once the majority of north British vote to stay part of the United Kingdom family. :)

Dowson is on the MPC you say?

And here was me thinking that he just made reports to them, just like all the other agents and deputy agents.

Here's a link to the current listing of MPC members. Can you point him out to me please?

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetarypolicy/Pages/members.aspx

By your definition, I'm currently a Member of Parliament because I have provided reports and information to various MP's.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetarypolicy/Pages/biographies/williamdowson.aspx

William Dowson is listed on the monetary policy of the Bank of Englands website as the agent for Scotland. Therefore he's representing Scotland on the MPC. This post would surely not exist in the event of a yes vote. So the point of Scotland losing representation on the MPC stands. Glad we've cleared that up.

Member of Parliament? What you talking about man?

By the way, those Scottish chancellors did f**k all for Scotland.

In your opinion. In the opinions of the people of Edinburgh SW and Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath they're doing well, well enough for them to be continued to be re-elected by the residents of those constituencies.

Scottish people, elected by the people of Scotland, sitting at the very top table of British policy making. Why surrender this representation?

The bookies told him to.

I love how this is meant to be sarcastic and disparaging. The implication being that bookies don't know what they're talking about. Er, i don't know how to break this to you, but bookies do know what they're talking about. Have a look on your local high street.

They ain't daft, and they don't offer odds of 5/1 on anything lightly. That's the current odds on a yes vote winning, incase you were wondering. If you want to bet on no you'll need to suffer odds of 1/8 on.

Well guys, i hope you all have a fun Saturday evening on this thread. I'll need to love you and leave you, will try catch up with it later. Peace.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetarypolicy/Pages/biographies/williamdowson.aspx

William Dowson is listed on the monetary policy of the Bank of Englands website as the agent for Scotland. Therefore he's representing Scotland on the MPC. This post would surely not exist in the event of a yes vote.

My previous link was to the current members of the MPC, not to the people that report to them. I note that you didn't respond to the question I posed.

Your link to a Bank of England employee's biography does not show him to be a member of the MPC, only his status as an agent.

I must also take you to task on your apparent certainty that this agent's post would not exist in the event of a "Yes" vote. As has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions, both Osbourne & Balls have refused to rule out a shared currency

Member of Parliament? What you talking about man?

I was making a humourous comparison of my own reporting duties to parliament with Dowson's reporting duties to the MPC. But you knew that, didn't you.

In your opinion. In the opinions of the people of Edinburgh SW and Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath they're doing well, well enough for them to be continued to be re-elected by the residents of those constituencies.

Scottish people, elected by the people of Scotland, sitting at the very top table of British policy making. Why surrender this representation?

I didn't realise that Brown & Darling currently held such esteemed positions. Can you remind me of their current status in the cabinet? If not, perhaps you could list the Shadow Cabinet positions they currently hold.

If you want to bet on no you'll need to suffer odds of 1/8 on.

No you won't. Best odds on oddschecker are currently 2/11. Only a mug would bet at the shortest odds available

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome

Thought I'd read through a little bit of Black and white army. Lex is absolutely obsessed with odds and rest assured the bookies isn't privy to some insider knowledge. They are looking at the polls setting up a market, correcting the odds when large bets are placed.

I believe the Yes vote stands around 30% 30% are undecided and 40% support No. When I comes down to vision and debates expect the majority of open-minded people to drift towards Yes.

I genuinely can't decide which outcome is more likely. It's going to be close.

Archived